Poets Restaurant and Cafe & Main Street Gallery
Ranked #19 of 31 Restaurants in Montville
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 16, 2019

what a beautiful place for breakfast. the staff are friendly and attentive. what a great view we enjoyed, the meals were beautiful, Haloumi and poached eggs, buttermilk pancakes, just yummy, and great coffee. great selection of meals on the menu and came back for afternoon tea of coffe and cake.

Date of visit: March 2019

Reviewed March 10, 2019 via mobile

Friend and I arrived as Poets was opening we sat and soaked up the view and ordered beautiful coffee and considered the menu and both of us happened upon the bruschetta brekkie option with bacon and Haloumi and poached egg ... wonderful flavours

Date of visit: March 2019
1  Thank El H
Reviewed February 23, 2019 via mobile

Had the pleasure of calling in for brunch this morning... the architectural design is so inviting from the street, it is beconing you to come in! Beautifully light and airy, the windows and doors look over (and down) some amazing vegetation with the Coast as the back drop!
Now to breakfast! Such a hive of activity, friendly and professional staff attending to the many patrons.
Great selection to choose from, for all dietary delights/requirements. Fresh juices, buttermilk pancakes that will melt in your mouth. Not to mention the eggs benedict or fluffiest omelet.
The coffee and cakes were inviting, perhaps to someone who could fit it in?
Fantastic start to the day.....

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed January 27, 2019 via mobile

Beautiful view of the coast and the decor is really sweet. Great potential, could be the best cafe in the hinterland for sure if the staff sorted out their attitude. I shouldn’t actually say staff, as our only interactions with staff were with the one older lady who was so grossly rude to every customer I watched her come in contact with! The young girl behind the coffee machine seemed friendly, she flashed us a smile when we came through and a young girl with cute yellow tassel earrings started shift during our visit and she actually smiled at people when she greeted them! I am in hospitality myself and have been for many years, I understand the job is tough a lot of the time and we visited on a public holiday but when we arrived the fairly small cafe was perhaps a quarter full and everyone seemed very relaxed, hardly a high stress environment? The people in front of us were rushed to a table and thrown menus, then she ran up to us said HOW MANY and before I could say two or HI HOW ARE YOU TODAY she was pushing menus into my arms, saying table 20 and pointing us in the direction she obviously wanted us to go in. When the same lady came over to take our order she was extremely dismissive and rude. She rushed through taking our order and getting annoyed at any questions we asked because she was clearly more focused on giving the evil eye to a couple who had just wandered in and were looking for a table, clearly not where she wanted them to sit because she was looking at them like she was trying to cast a spell on them and anyone they had ever loved. She walked away from us before we’d finished ordering and over to them to tell them they couldn’t sit there. After she seated the couple she just moved on with her life storming around the cafe making everyone feel uncomfortable so I had to call her over to complete our order and when I asked if we could have a table water she rolled her eyes so far back in her head I’m sure she could see into the past and again pointed in a vague direction and said “you get it yourself over there”. Food arrived and it wasn’t bad but it was nothing special either, a bit overpriced for what it was. Anyway, I’m sorry if this lady is just going through something or having a bad day. I considered scrapping this whole review but I just read the others and it seems this cafe has an issue with customer service so thought I should post. It’s such a shame to waste a venue with such great potential. Won’t be back.

Date of visit: January 2019
5  Thank savannajoy93
Reviewed January 15, 2019

The cafe is beautifully presented and offers stunning views. When we visited is was overcrowded, and therefore a bit noisy, but you can't blame them for being popular. Sadly it was overpriced and ended up being a much more expensive outing than we had hoped for. The food was nice but nothing overly special. Would go again on a quieter day for coffee and to enjoy the views and atmosphere, but probably wouldn't go back for a meal. The other downside was that we found the staff to be a bit rude and demanding about where we sit, how quickly we order etc. Perhaps they were stressed because it was a busy day at the cafe.

Date of visit: January 2019