“Very poor service”

Ranked #16 of 31 Restaurants in Montville
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Should have realised when we arrived and were handed 3 menus and told to find our own table, that this place was going to be ordinary at best. Particularly given that the restaurant was relatively busy being Sunday lunch. The food is average, the menu includes $36.90 250 steaks, $35 Barramundi. Service is very poor we were left with empty glasses more often than not, and then have adhoc service of drinks, we got 2 drinks then waited several minutes for the third persons drink. For these prices we expected much better. I am sure that there would be much better places nearby.

5  Thank Michael L

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We are locals on the Sunshine Coast so if you read this review and know what locals in the area talk about you will read and make your own decision. Poets Cafe use to be our top spot when ever we visited Montville however things have changed. Sooooo, Sooooo busy that it is uncomfortable and feels like your in the food court at a shopping plaza. Menu has changed and very, very expensive. We were seated and then left without being greeted or offered water. Luckily this gave us enough time to look over the menu and the atmosphere and get up and walk out again. We have children however they are older children and this is definitely not for families anymore. There are heaps of other great places in Montville across the road that are perfect and great prices.

5  Thank SSC7
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This place looks absolutely enchanting and makes you feel like you have walked into a beautiful Victorian English summerhouse. The physical building, and ambience is really delightful. I would never dare go into a place like this with very young children, and I do believe in choosing carefully when kids are in tow (both for your own sanity and in fairness to the other diners).

I would never have considered dining here for meals, and having read many of the reviews I am glad I followed my intuition and limited my experience here to a girly treat of scones with jam & cream with my pre-teen daughter.

Apart from the fact that it was HORRENDOUSLY expensive in my opinion, it just looks like a fancy tea room place to me.

The staff were not what I expected when I went in. I somehow expected classy, silver service staff in beautiful uniforms (reminiscent of the Titanic tea rooms) but was met with sloppy looking, rough round the edges girls in tight black gear.

Hmmm.

But for my little girl and I to get away from the boys in our family and just have a coffee, milkshake and some scones and cream it was extremely pleasant and civilised.

I would return for coffee and sweets only and just enjoy the lovely interior.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We sat outside of the restaurant on the day we visited Poets which is the best lunch place around here, it looks fantastic - but looks can be decieving can't they. We both ordered the Massaman Thai curried chicken with rice, and it was very dissapointing, strangley filled with celery and ( I counted them ) 15 half potatoes. Now I have eaten lots of Thai food and this definatley was NOT it. It was made in my view with packet ingredients from the supermarket and then filled out with any old thing to flesh it out. Trust me this is only good for chips burgers and the like, not the hungry traveller who likes the description of the food on the menu to resemble what comes on the plate, my advice drive past!!!!

5  Thank DerekCC_12
Reviewed January 3, 2013

The Poets Cafe has a fairly nice view and an appealing look from the outside,but don't be fooled. We visited this cafe and found them hugely unaccommodating, shockingly rude and we were made to feel so uncomfortable that we ended up leaving and eating lunch at the Edge Restaurant, just up the road. I could only deduce that: a.The Poets Cafe does not like foreigners visiting their restaurant or b. The Poets Cafe does not like children to eat in their restaurant. Therefore, if you fit either of these categories give this place a miss. There are plenty of other restaurants worth visiting in the quaint town of Monteville who will welcome you and your family.

8  Thank sharfoox