Cottage Hotel
$393
$303
Hotels.com
The Gannet Inn(Carbis Bay)
$236
Western Hotel(St Ives)
$124
Priceline
Boskerris Hotel(Carbis Bay)
No availability for your dates from our partners
The Regent(St Ives)
All reviewsalfa travelcoach holidaysteep hillsea viewevening entertainmentrailway stationcreaking floorboardsleisureplex hotelschef's specialsst ivesfull size snooker tablebit datedcold hamwell run hotelswimming pool isminute journeycoach driver
Reviewed April 27, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Cottage Hotel for 2 nights whilst I was working in the area. The sea view room was very nice, spacious and clean. Unfortunately that's all that we can say that's good. The food was poor, the advertised entertainment was cancelled and when we signed out the Receptionist couldn't produce a bill. The only thing worse than this was the fact that there was no hot water on the day we left. To not be able to shower before 300 miles is less than ideal. Next time we will stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Sea view is worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank mark s
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Just had a 7 day break with Alpha at the Cottage hotel in St Ives ( April 20 -27th).. We paid for a sea view room which was very comfortable with a lovely view of Carbis Bay. The hotel was very welcoming and the staff couldnt be more helpful, the meals were more than enough and the manager told us to ask for more if we wanted.Our waitress Lumi deserves a special mention as she was very hard working and helpful.This was our first visit to Cornwall and we will be going again and with Alpha to this hotel...A special thanks to Stephen our driver for a safe and good humoured & informative trip...
Concerning the creaking floorboards, ours did creak a little but a small price to pay and did not spoil the holiday.
This is the sixth holiday with Alpha in the last 18 months and apart from the Cumberland in Scarborough ( small meal portions and inflexibility of meal times ) we have enjoyed all the hotels and will continue to use Alpha

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are worth the extra money for the view of Carbis Bay
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank tez_kelly
Reviewed April 24, 2014

How well I remember the ambiance and fun of the Cottage Hotel. It hasn't changed much regarding that but other things don't always stay the same.

ONE of my best memories was taking the young Audrey Higgins from Liverpool by the hand and leading her onto the dance floor. Audrey was a waitress for the season and I was the chef.

The guests were so pleased to see our romantic liaison brought to fruition on the dance floor that they clapped and cheered, much to our embarrassment.

I said to Audrey, 'Oh my lor' or something like it, 'we'll have to make the best of it!'

We did, and knocked everybody's socks off as we did the Fred Astaire and Ginger rogers routine around the floor. In the background, was the Godrevy lighthouse, slowly disappearing to its single light in the descending darkness of twilight over Carbis Bay.

Fortunately, the gathered throng were not too aware of the need to keep to the beat OR, they were holidaymakers enjoying the fun, the willingness of the staff to participate in their enjoyment and seeing the most handsome young chef with a beautiful waitress. Adorable, or what?

It's a lovely situation, I worked at The Boskerris Hotel and The Carbis Bay Hotel over two separate seasons while I was at Camborne catering college and a few years later I worked in the Cottage Hotel.

Carbis Bay is very special. I swam there. I surfed there. I loved there. I lived
there. Some day, I'll go back there, like everybody else, just for the memory.

Great stuff everybody, truly, a good place to be.

Room Tip: Of course, sea facing is the best as you can look at Godrevy - leave the curtains wide open, there's only sea and lighthouse as far as you want to see. I've said 2013 was my travel year, it wasn't but who cares unless Trip Advisor want to be picky ...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Bodie G
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We went on a 5 day break with Alfatravel to the Cottage Hotel at Carbis Bay, St Ives. We should have been going to Newquay but due to an unavoidable major problem Alfa had to change our trip. We were given the choice to accept or have a full refund. Upon reading some of the reviews we almost asked for a refund but FORTUNATELY decided not to. What a wonderful surprise we received when we arrived at the hotel. Yes the building isn't the prettiest but nowhere near as bad as some people paint. The position could hardly be bettered with magnificent views over Carbis Bay and so peaceful and calming. Our room was large, very comfortable and clean overlooking the beautiful bay as did the pleasant dining room where there was a good choice of menu each night. Breakfast was served at the table and very well cooked. For those complaining of small portions all you had to do was ask for extra of anything and it was served willingly by extremely pleasant staff. If we had to find anywhere for improvement it would be that the lounge was a little dreary but all it needed were a few lamps to cosy it up . As for the location the hotel is after all built on a hill and it is pointed out in Alfa literature that it may not suit everyone but my goodness if you can manage the gently winding but steep path down to the bay it is just beautiful. The little train which is only a very gentle few minutes walk from the hotel is a delight costing only £1.00 into St Ives and takes a pretty coastal journey each hour. Our coach driver Steve ensured we had a very comfortable smooth journey and trips out. He was very reassuring. pleasant and informative but not as one person so correctly put it "in you face". It amazes me that people can expect to pay such reasonable prices but get 4 or 5 star treatment!! Just because I am over 65 doesn't mean that I have lowered my standards and I speak for many of us when I say most still have a zest for life and appreciate good service etc. All in all a wonderful break.

Room Tip: If possible a room with a view of the bay. We were on third floor and view was magnificent.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank Nettewo
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stayed for a 3 night break and I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the rooms were and spotlessly clean. There was a problem with creaking floorboards however, so you were always aware of other guests moving about in the rooms above! Also the television was very small as it was fixed to the wall compared to the free standing ones we saw in other rooms. The staff were all helpful and friendly and the breakfasts were very good. We only ate at the hotel for one night but the 3 course meal was very acceptable for the price. The hotel is very handily placed for the railway station for trains to St Ives, but due to the steep hill it is quite difficult to walk in the vicinity and there are no nearby pubs or newsagent. It was very good value considering how cheap it was.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family