“Lovely hotel, great stay”
Review of Kenmore Hotel

Kenmore Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kenmore
Glasgow, Scotland
“Lovely hotel, great stay”
Reviewed February 26, 2006

Having been recommended this hotel by a friend, my husband and I have been waiting a long time to actually get a chance to stay. The wait was worth it. There was a bit of a wait when our room wasn't ready when we arrived, but we put this down to arriving too early, no fuss we just went a walk. But it still wasn't ready on return, we had lunch and it was ready (can't help feel that they weren't completely prepared for arrivals!). The food at dinner was amazing, but definitely worth staying on a Dinner Bed and Breakfast basis, as I can imagine the meal bill would be quite high. Only complaint about dinner was it seemed to be a bit rushed, barely finished starter with the main whisked straight in (okay so maybe this is a personal preference but I like a moment to settle!). A Summer evening meal here would be amazing with the sun setting and the view down the river and the amazing food, we'll definitely be returning.

• Stayed February 2006
2 Thank AnohrJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 27, 2005

We have just returned from a wonderful romantic stay at this hotel.
The Kenmore Hotel is set in a beautiful location at the top of Loch Tay.
Our room was comfortable and spotlessly clean.
The staff were friendly and helpfull and the food delicious if not slightly overpriced.
We would definitely recommend this hotel to those looking for a peaceful retreat in a spectacular location.
We will be back!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 4, 2004

Location has to be one half of any experience, and this hotel as a lock on a loch! Situated next to Loch Tay, a Scotland national park, and the scenic Taymouth Castle grounds, it's a delight to stay here just for the environs.

A cozy bar contains a handwritten poem by Robert Burns scribbled on the wall during one of his visits. Kenmore claims to be the oldest continually operating hotel in Scotland.

There are all kinds of nooks in this place with warm hearths, so "cozy" is an adjective one should use often. The restaurant on the back, however, is quite modern in design. Huge plate glass windows look out onto the river and a gorgeous bridge. The food and service in the restaurant were quite good, too.

So what's my complaint? As one reviewer has hinted, trying to get a straight answer or help here is almost impossible. A member of our party had trouble finding his room. He had to return to the front desk three times. You would assume that after the third time, seeing as no one else--and I mean not a soul--had been demanding the desk's services and seeing that it was staffed by two persons, someone would have personally escorted this man to the room. No one even budged from his chair.

Finding out when food was being served was just as trying as the one reviewer mentioned. It wasn't a problem for us--our schedules seemed to match the hotel's--but seeing little old ladies and non-English-speaking tourists trying to make sense of the staff's paradoxical answers about restaurant times, service, etc. was sad rather than humorous. I don't think the staff means to be unkind, but they don't seem to realize how nonsensical their approach to customer service is.

Oh--we couldn't check out either. In a place that needs the custom of tour groups who are on a schedule, check-out staffing did not begin until 8:30 a.m., and it took almost an hour to finish the tab on three bills.

I loved this location--seeing the sun set over Loch Tay will be memory I'll hold dear--but if I had alternative accomodation, I'd probably not return.

3 Thank EndlessTripPlanner
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 18, 2004

I am sure the review below is heartfelt, but I feel like I was in a different hotel. My family stayed at the Kenmore just last week, and we could not have been better treated. The hotel itself is very nicely decorated but the charm has been lovingly preserved. The Kenmore is old, old, old, but clean and incredibly comfortable. (We Americans are charmed by the crooked floors and tiny doors.) Their mattresses new and nicely firm, with high quality linens. We had small but cozy rooms, and a bath to die for. Spotlessly clean, too. The front desk manager must have answered a dozen questions for us most graciously, the housekeeping staff acted like we were family. By the time we left, it was with great reluctance. Service in the restaurant was seemed a little slow, but being Americans, we figured it was just us. The food was very good, but not cheap. Still, the view from the dining room made it worth the cost. My husband and I travel all over the world, and extensively in the UK, and we are pain-in-the-rear picky. The Kenmore made us want to return, and as soon as possible. I am so sorry the previous poster had a bad stay. Admittedly, we did not use the bar at all. Still, I really must believe the poor service they received was not the normal standard of service at this hotel. As a side not, do not miss the Cranog Center, especially if you have children. It is well worth the detour to Loch Tay, and just a stroll from the hotel. We loved the Kenmore, and cannot wait to return, next time for a long stay.

• Stayed June 2004
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Falkirk
Reviewed June 11, 2004

I recently stayed at the Kenmore Hotel and, though the hotel istelf is nice and the surrounding area beautiful , I found a number of problems with the service and attitude of the staff. I got the feeling that none of the staff were happy in their jobs and I wonder what the management of the hotel were doing to put them on such a downer!

I've stayed in numerous hotels around the world and can honestly say i've never felt more unwelcome than I did at the Kenmore Hotel. As a paying customer, it definately seemed as if you had to fit in with the hotels way of doing things, rather than the hotel making the effort to give the customer what they want - not too dissimilar to Fawlty towers!

Here's a copy of the letter of complaint I sent them (to which, not surprisingly, I have not had a reply):

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing with regard to our overnight stay in your hotel on the 8th May. While I commend you on the hotel itself, the comfort and cleanliness of our room and the standard of food, I was disappointed by several elements of service received. These are as follows:

1. Check-in - On arrival at the hotel around 11.30am we were informed we would be unable to get into our room in the lodge until 4pm. While we were aware of the check in time of 3pm guests who arrived at the same time as us were being checked in to the lodge.
No explanation was given as to why we were unable to check in, or why our check in would be delayed until 4pm. We were eventually able to check in shortly after 3pm.
2. Food – Bar food - We asked shortly before mid-day what the options were for getting something to eat. Initially we were told that we couldn’t get food until 12, and then told we could get bacon rolls in the restaurant. We decided to wait until 12 and at this time went down to the lower bar (The Boars Head?) as we wished to watch some of the football. Despite the sign above the bar stating toasties were available, and a sign outside the hotel proclaiming “food all day”, we were advised we could not get food in this bar and would have to go to the upstairs bar to get toasties (however we could bring our food down to the lower bar if we wanted…). When we arrived in the upper bar we were told we couldn’t get toasties and could only have a limited choice of food despite being shown an A4 double sided menu with hot and cold choices – however, we were told we could only have the full range if we went to the restaurant. I cannot understand why a broader range of food is not available in all areas of the hotel if it is coming from the same kitchen.
Restaurant – we had a tasty meal in your restaurant, however, service was slow and we did not receive a second glass of wine requested.
3. Professionalism of staff – whilst we had our food we sat in the upper bar (to the right of the front door on entering the hotel) and sat next to the bar area. Two staff members were having a conversation behind the bar that included the male member of staff swearing on several occasions – while I am not easily offended there were children in the vicinity and I feel that this behaviour is unprofessional and unacceptable. Furthermore, prior to this we had heard the same male member of staff complaining to a colleague about guests who had just left a table despite the fact we could clearly hear him.
4. Bar hours for residents – we were members of the ****/**** wedding party and along with other guests had hoped to have a nightcap on our return to the hotel after the wedding reception. Unfortunately, when we arrived back the bar was closed and the Duty Manager refused to reopen it. While he may have been unable to do so, it represents a lack of foresight and consideration for a large number of your guests that the bar was closed to residents before many of them had returned for the evening. We were also unable to get coffee or any food, and while the night receptionist did make us tea, this lack of service was the source of a great deal of frustration.

In conclusion, there are many good things about your hotel but I did not feel valued as a guest, and I would hesitate in returning to stay with you again or in recommending that my friends and colleagues stay in your hotel. The prices you charge are not cheap and I expect better service in return for my money.

yours etc.

I've spoken to a number of guests who stayed at the same time as we did and felt the same way. To sum up, a really nice hotel, good food, ruined by terrible service.

7 Thank neilmalc
Pontypridd
Reviewed January 31, 2004

We went there for a Sunday dinner. Excellent views from the conservatory style restaurant. Spoilt by the lack of roast potatoes.
Meat was excellent, service so so. I normally judge a Sunday dinner by the fact that if we want chips on the way home from it, then it wasn't very good. We wanted chips. Price of meal £7.99 a head and not good value. Outside the hotel there are many plaques Les Rouitere setc to say it was good. My friends have renamed it as the Ken We Have More Hotel. John Densley

6 Thank JDPonty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenmore
Moness Resort
The Weem Inn
The Weem Inn
#2 of 4 in Aberfeldy
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa

Been to Kenmore Hotel? Share your experiences!