“Fantastic location”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kenmore
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Fantastic location”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I enjoyed my meal. Service was professional with friendliness as added value. It was really nice to see the front of house staff happy to make you happy. Essence of customer care. Thank you i shall return.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Edinburghsco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Buckhaven
Reviewed May 5, 2014

we booked a "Romantic stay" for two nights, hotel could do with a bit of TLC, rooms as you would expect of an old building, could do with a lick of paint. Bed linen and towels spotless, nice and fluffy towels and bath robes. We really enjoyed our meal on both nights, the breakfast, like many hotels, not very warm as it is buffet style and kept in hot plates.
It is situated in a lovely spot and the views from the restaurant are amazing.
we found the staff very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I don't understand why the Kenmore Hotel isn't listed under Restaurants too but we only ate here, we were staying in the Mains of Taymouth apartments.

Decided to treat ourselves and have a steak in their restaurant. View is lovely, we were asked if we had booked a table and the fact that we hadn't seemed to be a concern initially but bizarrely the restaurant was never more than one third full. We both had scallops as a starter. They tasted divine, I'll give them that much but for just shy of £9, I would have hoped the 3 scallops were all big instead of the 3 small ones I was given. Hubby had one that was huge, I was very jealous!

Next up, mains - I had a sirloin, hubby had rib eye. Steaks cooked well but the failing was on the chips. The oil they were cooked in musn't have been hot enough, my chips were too soft, I could bend them and see the oil on the surface and that's just not nice. I've had far superior chips from the fish & chip van in Killin. Waitress asked if our meals were ok so I mentioned the 'chip issue' and she kindly offered to get us a fresh batch ( hubby's were also just as soggy). Well, talk about disappointed - batch 2 were just as bad and by that stage pretty much all the tables were on to their puddings so it wasn't like the chef was busy. We didn't eat any of them so while the steak was nice, that's all we had ( oh, except for a half tomato, 2 onion rings and half a mushroom). It kind of ruined the meal.

Don't get me wrong, staff were very apologetic but that's not a whole lot of use really. They offered us a pudding on the house, I'm glad we went for ice cream as 2 other tables seemed to be complaining about their pudding.

All in all, a tad disappointing. Would I return? it's unlikley which is a shame as we are returning at the end of May and again in August. Chef - go to the chippy van in Killin and ask the lovely ladies how to perfect them!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank artemis1
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Booked a night away here as a birthday surprise for my fiance. I had looked on the website and thought it'd be perfect. I am yet to see the rooms I seen on the website. First room we got offered was dated and well in need of a refurbishment. It also said on website the rooms had a tv with DVD, the first room had an old tv and nothing more. How embarrassing for me, I had went to complain and got offered another room which was just as bad. We eventually agreed to the third room, which was best of a bad lot. Holes in the linen, cracks in the bathroom tiles was the tip of the iceberg!
We hoped dinner would save the day! The meal was lovely but service was awful! Booked our table at 7pm and were still there at 10pm! Luckily breakfast was lovely and different waiting staff were fantastic. At 7 month's pregnant I was hoping for a relaxing night away....it was far from it!

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Fins14
scotland
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Enjoyable stay in a traditional old Scottish hotel. The staff, particularly at Reception and in the bar, were very friendly and welcoming. The hotel would benefit from a refurb as the decor in some parts was a little tired. Our room was comfortable and had a huge bath with plenty of hot water. Breakfast was a bit disappointing - adequate but nothing more. The dining room has a beautiful outlook over the river. I felt the hotel was a little over-priced but that is perhaps because it is the only hotel in town. Enjoyed our evening meal served in the pub by a cosy open fire.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We had booked one of their luxury lodges - Stob Ban.

From the moment we arrived until the moment we left the staff were very helpful, whether it be the girls on reception or the maintenance man who gave us a great tip on taking a small road up over the hills where we had the most amazing views of the area (we did it on a fine sunny day but really wouldn't recommend driving up there in bad weather).

Stob Ban was certainly luxurious. it had just been decorated and was completely spotless. In fact my two daughters want to live there permanently - they loved the en-suite and walk in wardrobe. The beds were the most comfortable than any I have stayed in before and waking up with views over the loch was pure bliss. The lodge is designed in a minalmist way but could not be more comfortable.

Everything was in the lodge that we possibly needed, and we did both self catering and eating in the hotel opposite as well. The food was lovely and they were very helpful when it came to dealing with adapting the food to suit a nut allergy.

The hot tub was lovely, despite it only being April we had glorious weather and went in it every day.

We used the stables locally and the girls had a great hours hack, and the staff were very friendly and helpful there.

We left, wanting to be there for longer - what better way to end a holiday?

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank nutmeg3
Coatbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Stayed at the Kenmore Hotel for two nights. Upon arrival we were greeted by a lovely girl on reception. We were given the key to our room which we were told was in the west wing. It would have helped if someone had shown us to our room because we got a bit lost at first. However, on finding it we were pleasantly surprised and had a lovely view from our window. The room was very clean and warm. We had only booked for bed and breakfast but had dinner in the restaurant on our second night. The food was wonderful and I must give a special mention to Kamila, the waitress in the restaurant, who was very friendly and nothing was a bother to her. Breakfast was a buffet style but very adequate. Some of the décor in the hotel is a bit tired but it is noted to be the oldest inn in Scotland. The log fire in the bar was very welcoming. All in all a very enjoyable stay and I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a nice relaxing break away with stunning scenery

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank R0se1960
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenmore
Moness Resort
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,820 reviews
Fortingall Hotel
Fortingall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Fortingall

Been to Kenmore Hotel? Share your experiences!