“Fabulous Grill Room”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kenmore
Beverley, England, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Grill Room”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My wife and I had been out walking and were passing through Kenmore on our way home when we spotted the hotel's ad for it's Grill Room which we decided to check out.

We arrived at the restaurant in our walking gear (complete with shorts and walking boots) and, seeing how grand the surroundings where, full expected to be turned away or at least asked to change our shoes. But no, the manageress told us it was fine and showed us to a table for two by a large panoramic window with stunning views over the River Tay.

The menu was original and interesting and gave the impression of being fully thought out by a highly skilled (and confident) chef.

To start I had Stornaway Black Pudding with Crispy Poached Egg and Hollandais Sauce. Beautifully presented, it was a simply spectacular balance of textures and tastes. The Crispy Poached Egg was a triumph in itself.

My wife opted for Prawn Cocktail as the description was so enticing. It again was beautifully presented; no wine glass here, but a confection of Tiger Prawns, Tomato, Cucumber & Red Onion Relish, Bloody Mary Sauce and Frizzy and Micro Leaf Salad on a Malted Bread Wafer. Again a triumph of textures and tastes.

For Mains my wife opted for Scottish Isle of Harris Salmon Fillet (with Fennel, Spring Pea, Sorrel & Potato Chowder) whist I settled for a selection of three Tapas; Potato Bravas, Pan Fried King Prawns and Chicken & Ham Croquettes.

Both dishes were again beautifully presented with first class, fresh ingredients and such originality of flavours. The hand made Ham Croquettes were outstanding!

The staff were very friendly and helpful. When my wife inquired as to what was in a particularly delightful dressing, the waitress apologised for not knowing off the top of her head, disappeared into the kitchen and came back with a list of ingredients!

The bill for the two of us came to less than £50:00. Good value for original, well presented, first-class food in stunning surroundings. The last time I ate anywhere near as good a meal as this I paid a lot, lot more than £25:00 a head.

Sometimes life can spring wonderful surprises in the most unlikely of places; you might expect first-rate salmon in Highland Scotland, but exquisite Tapas?

I cannot rate the food highly enough. The service and civility was first-class and the surroundings simply stunning. A wonderful dining experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Alfie S
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Kenmore Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your fantastic review of your experience in the Grill Room at the Kenmore Hotel & Luxury Lodges. I am delighted to read that both you and your wife had a lovely meal whilst enjoying the views from the Grill Room. I am very pleased that you saw the advert for the restaurant as it allowed you to have a great meal. I will pass your kind comments on to the team at the Kenmore and we hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Kind Regards Laura Barry, PA to the CEO, Aurora Hotel Collection

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Kenmore Hotel from 22-25 August 2013 and cannot speak too highly of this hotel. The service was excellent and the accommodation superb. The staff were so accommodating and nothing was a bother for them.

Ask for Room 8 (it overlooks the River Tay).

Room Tip: Room 8 has wonderful views of the River Tay
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank las123singing2016
What a lovely review – thank you for your kind comments. We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Kenmore Hotel & Luxury Lodges. I was very pleased to read that you thought it was heaven on earth as the Kenmore Hotel really has a charm about the hotel and the scenery is beautiful even on a dull day. I will pass on your kind comments to the team at the Kenmore Hotel and we hope to welcome you back again soon.
Kind regards Laura Barry, PA to the CEO, Aurora Hotel Collection
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We had a meal in the Grill Room at the Kenmore Hotel which was fabulous, my starter of scallops and pork belly didn't quite work, but I can understand the chef's thinking, having said that it was well executed and presented. My wife's starter, crispy poached egg.......yes, crispy poached egg on potato rosti was a delight, soft poached egg in breadcumbs is to be highly recommended. My rib eye steak, was succulent and cooked to perfection, accompanied by red wine jus and handmade chips in batter.....one of the best steaks I've ever had. The bill including tip for our two courses each came top £60 so value for money.
One other thing, the exact same menu is available in the bar and the restaurant staff cope well with the demands from restaurant and bar alike, service is very efficient and the staff are excellent, all in all, a place we will return to.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Kenmore Hotel & Luxury Lodges. I am very pleased that you and your wife had an enjoyable meal within the Grill Room. The team will be delighted to read that you both enjoyed your experience at the Kenmore Hotel and we hope to get the opportunity to welcome you both back again soon.

Kind Regards Laura Barry, PA to the CEO, Aurora Hotel Collection
Denver
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This place was interesting in so many ways.
The WIFI was abysmal. Really awful.
The hotel has wonderful character. Quirky and warm and fuzzy and homey and odd.
Our room was fine. Plenty big and had comfortable beds.
The bathroom fixtures were cheap and not of good quality.
The location is very quiet and charming.
The staff were what we found most interesting. The hotel seems to have several dozen employees, almost all of whom were comically amateur. It seemed as if none of them had ever worked in the hospitality industry before, and hadn't been given even the slightest training. Both my wife and I were chuckling about it during our entire two night stay.

1 Thank raymagee
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Kenmore Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
As you can imagine I was very disappointed to read the review of your experience at the Kenmore Hotel & Luxury Lodges. At the Aurora Hotel Collection, we pride ourselves on our high standards of customer service, therefore I am extremely concerned that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns further, so that we can avoid any repetition of your experiences in the future. If this would be of interest, I can be reached on laura.barry@aurorahotelcollection.com or 01324 831411. Kind Regards Laura Barry PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We were a little apprehensive about our weekend stay following some of the reviews on Trip Advisor, however we need not have worried it turned out to be a great weekend, we had originally booked for the Saturday night as it was our wedding anniversary, however we decided to change it to 2 nights and we are pleased we did, from the professional service when booking all the way through to the fantastic room with great views and the service and wonderfull food in the delightful restaurant. The staff could not do enough to make us feel welcome, will definitely be visiting this lovely part of the world again

2 Thank ahodgen123
What a lovely review – thank you for your kind comments. We were delighted to read that you had an enjoyable two night stay at the Kenmore Hotel & Luxury Lodges. The team were very pleased to read that you enjoyed all of your meals within the Grill Room and that you found the team to be very helpful. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Kind regards Laura Barry, PA to the CEO, Aurora Hotel Collection
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Arrived and left standing at the "please wait to be seated" sign.Eventually just told " go and sit anywhere". My husband asked if we could have a couple of menus and we were told " no, just sit down, I bring the menus". 20 minutes later no menus!! A waitress come to our table and snaps at us " next time u can't just go and sit down" and throws down 2 menus. I explain we were told to sit down but no apology just tells us how she will " kick his [--] for not telling her we were there. We order drinks and this takes another 20 minutes to arrive even though it wasn't busy!!. I order the gourmet vegetable burger. Totally inedible and disgusting..rock hard so I had to break it open and scoop out the middle. No salad or lettuce or tomato or anything on this GOURMET burger! Dry and inedible. Not out first visit there but most definitely the last!!! Also the waiter threw down out cutlery as he went past, with it flying across the table. Completely appalled with service!!!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank mollieboo
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your experience at the Kenmore Hotel & Luxury Lodges. First of all, may I offer our sincere apologies that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I am concerned about several of your comments, which have been taken on board and passed on to the relevant Department Heads.

Please be assured that we take your comments very seriously. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns further, so that we can avoid any repetition of your experiences in the future. If this would be of interest, I can be reached on Laura.Barry@aurorahotelcollection.com or 01324 831411. Kind Regards, Laura Barry, PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection
Glasgow
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We had an overnight stay at the end of August and on arrival were given the keys to a room in the Gatehouse, an annex across the road from the main hotel. The room was small, dark and shabby with dated carpets, décor and furniture. The en-suite was tired and needed updating, the shower was just a trickle. However, the food in the hotel was very good and the serving staff were very helpful and pleasant. Having looked back at the reviews for this hotel, it's a pity that the general management are not acting on the feedback from it's customers. There are numerous comments about the rooms in the annex going back several years which are all scathing and clearly no action has been taken. With a little bit of effort and investment the hotel could reach a good standard.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mari T
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Kenmore Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your experience of staying at the Kenmore Hotel & Luxury Lodges. First of all, may I offer our sincere apologies that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I am concerned about several of your comments, which have been taken on board and passed on to the relevant Department Heads.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenmore
Moness Resort
The Weem Inn
The Weem Inn
#2 of 4 in Aberfeldy
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa

Been to Kenmore Hotel? Share your experiences!