“Nice Stay”

The Crab & Lobster Inn
Ranked #9 of 9 Bembridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Recently stayed here for 2 nights in the Ledge room, very comfortable with lovely sea views, breakfast was ok, but have had better (no corn flakes!!) but enjoyed our stay in a lovely location. We ate out in the evenings at the Chinese restaurant in Bembridge, very good.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

don't trust online booking system if booking last minute, as it gives you a ref no. and tells you the room is reserved when it isn't! phone instead! but we were looked after well and found a room we could have.
The food is good and we watched lots of families enjoying their meals. I think it is advisable to book a table as this is a very busy place, although if prepared to wait it seems you can get seated
breakfast was very good
I agree with others that if staying again I would book the room at the front with the veiws

Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

We went to the crab and lobster for a meal service was great and food was fab my mother in law had half lobster which she enjoyed I had the mixed grill which was properly the best one I have had and my wife and daughter had a seafood lasange which was really good and at a very fair price next time I visit the isle of White I shall return for another great meal

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My family (parents, husband, myself) checked in for a couple of nights in July while visiting family on the Isle of Wight. We were very pleased with the rooms, which were very comfortable and the breakfast, which was delicious and almost too much food. We booked a table for dinner one night during our visit and enjoyed stunning views of the sea whilst having our dinner in a big family party. I only wish we'd had more time on our trip. I'd have loved to checked out the cliff walk and explored the surrounding neighborhood. The Inn is tucked away in a residential area and, without their ample signage directing you to the place, you'd never know it was there. I have a feeling there is much to explore in the area, but we just did not have the time to do so, due to family obligations. One note: parking is limited and, if you arrive at a busy time for the pub, you may not find a space. My advice is to just wait it out and someone is bound to leave within a few minutes (this is what happened with us...we were all set to check in, unload luggage into our rooms, and return later when a space opened up and all that was unnecessary). When staying at a what is essentially a country pub on a cliffside, you cannot expect to also find a parking structure. If we are fortunate enough to return, I will request a room facing the sea, as those have rather dramatic views, but our trip was arranged at the last moment and I was thrilled they had rooms for us at all. It came highly recommended by our family on the island and we were very happy with the stay.

Room Tip: The whole place is very quiet, but, if you want a room with a view of the sea, I think only the two...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We went to 'The Crab and Lobster' on a Saturday lunchtime and sat outside. The first thing you do is queue up at the bar; more than 10 minutes in my case, due to only one person behind the bar, whilst my wife sat on her own at the table. I took the drinks over and then went back to queue for food. The people in front of me took a long time because they were being served with drinks as well, but after 10 minutes I was able to order food. I asked if I could have ordered drinks from the food counter and the man said he served drinks to the people in front of me because there was a queue at the bar. I returned to our table and sat with my wife for a minute, but she had finished her drink, so back to queue at the bar. The food counter was not busy now, so I asked if I could order drinks. 'No, was the reply; you have to queue at the bar'. 'But you served the man in front of me with drinks!' 'That was because he was ordering food!'
So another 10 minutes standing in a queue at the bar.
The food was quite decent pub food, and it arrived reasonably quickly. I think mine was all standard 'bought in' stuff, with the possible exception of the crab. My wife enjoyed her lobster.
The view outside is nothing to write home about, although you can see the sea through the railings of the fence. Then there are brambles and ragwort to your left, and litter to the right.
I did come here 2 or 3 years ago, and one thing I remembered was the wasps. No change there; my glass was empty for some time ( I wasn't going to queue again), but 6 wasps enjoyed the dregs.
One last queue to pay the bill, and we were away back to Bembridge Airport.
There are obviously quite a few people who think it is the finest place on the IOW. I just don't happen to be one of them.

5  Thank mallard126
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We went to the Crab and Lobster during our recent 2 week holiday on the IOW. The food was excellent. I was on my own with 2 youngish children, and we found a table on the terrace on what was admittedly a busy Saturday night. We ate out main course, then decided we fancied a pudding. The waiting staff did not take orders, so we went back inside the pub to choose our pudding. During the 5 minutes we were away, our table was cleared, half-finished drinks removed and a new party was sitting in our place. I asked that our drinks be replaced, which was done with indifferent speed and the passing comment that 'it's all sorted now'.

The staff seem pressured, although I appreciate this is a popular and busy restaurant. However on a previous trip I have had half-empty bottles of water removed when I was planning to finish them!

Recommended, but not during busy times.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Caroline F
Reviewed August 2, 2013

we visited the crab and lobster at the end of our 2 week stay on the island. It is a lovely pub with great outside views of the sea. The staff were really helpful and friendly. The food was really nice and was cooked to perfection. I had the seafood mixed grill and it was lovely, the fish was moist and had lots of flavour. the pub had a great atmosphere . I would recommend this pub to every one as we enjoyed it so much. will defiantly visit again when on the island.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bembridge
Seaview Hotel
Harbourside View
Harbourside View
#1 of 9 in Bembridge
Whitecliff Bay Holiday Park

Been to The Crab & Lobster Inn? Share your experiences!