“Nicely situated and lots of activities on offer” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Warner Leisure Hotels Bembridge Coast Hotel

Warner Leisure Hotels Bembridge Coast Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bembridge
Surrey
“Nicely situated and lots of activities on offer”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

Stayed at this hotel on 2 day midweek basis with my parents. I knew before I went that the clientele were on the old side but didn't mind this as it fitted right in with what I wanted for my parents who are mid seventies. Given the age of most of the patrons this place still offered lots of activities for all, with a games rooms including ten pin bowling indoor and outdoor bowls, pitch and putt, and of course the swimming pool with Sauna etc., and for the less energetic board games. This is all included in the package along with rifle shooting, archery, palm reading and falconry display. Whilst there we used the beauty parlour, I had a facial and Mum a manicure - her first ever; the staff were very nice and did their best to make you feel relaxed and welcome. The first day we arrived the entertainments organiser hosted an impromptu 'name that tune' game whistling into a microphone as he felt the atmosphere could do with livening up and it worked, some got quite animated including my parents. The views over the sea are lovely from the bar and lounge area which is well laid out overlooking grass with shady trees and the sea, be warned though it can be very windy on the patio. Both me and my parents had standard Ambassador rooms with a patio which had a planted area that thankfully obscured the car park. Although you can get rooms with uninterrupted views of the sea, which were just on the opposite side of our corridor and assume are also Ambassador rooms. Room and bathroom were spacious with tea, coffee and biscuits provided with maid service each day of our visit. TV was portable kind with limited channels but did not watch it a lot so not much of a loss but had been spoiled at earlier location in Portsmouth with big telly and freeview. Food in evening was OK I preferred the a la carte to the carvery, got fed up trying to chase a carrot around the plate after the fork refused on much persuasion to pierce it. Wide choice for breakfast though cereal, yoghurts, porridge or fried food. Lunch time food purchased at extra cost was nice (jacket spud, panini, baguette and cream scone with strawberries) as were the coffees which are very generously proportioned, although can be expensive if eating on more than one day.
Evening entertainment is very much geared toward the older generation, mainly ballroom dancing and bit of old hat comedy Nudge nudge wink wink! This is no reflection on the entertainer he just knew his audience who fell about laughing - unfortunately I could not raise a titter as it was all a bit Benny Hill meets Mike Yarwood. Although the following evening when the in staff entertainers put on a tribute to the musicals the lady singer (sorry forgotten name) was absolutey great as were the others, who did not sing but danced their hearts out whilst carrying out all the behind the scenes stuff too. They did have a late night disco both nights and believe me some of these olduns can really strutt their stuff but when I say disco it is floor fillers of cheesy disco classics played from a tape operated by one of the entertainment staff. We all enjoyed greatly the falconry display and the guy performing the demonstration was very professional and you could tell how much he loved his birds and enjoyed displaying them. My only comment about this is that Warners staff took pictures of patrons with an owl (me included) that could be purchased afterwards. However I left Warners bound for Portsmouth when I called Tom Entertainments organsier after the display the previous evening for the pictures to be sent to my home address which he promised he would do with a Brochure of Warners, unfortunately neither arrived. I was little disappointed not to recieve this picture especially as no charge had been made by Tom (I assume because of damage to my car). The main thing about this Warners location is that the entertainment staff make you feel very comfortable by being chatty and accommodating which allows people to let their hair down which is bit borne out by my Mum playing pool for the first time in years and my Dad attempting the pitch and putt and bowls after many years. My parents liked the fact that everything was so easy and carefree and they could do as much or as little as they liked with everything on tap. Something we did not discover till our last day was the gardens with pond and ducks/ducklings, the gardens are being brought up to scratch by a gardner that used to tend the gardens at Osborne House. If you get a chance you should talk to this man (again name escapes me) as he has a lot of interesting information to impart about his plans for the garden and a little bit of history of Bembridge. There are a few gripes, the fact that everywhere you went you had to clean your hands with alcohol spray/foam to ward off the Norovirus, the dispensers are all over the place, makes it feel a little like a hospital. On our first night, even though the menu states that if you need help getting your meal (carvery) to ask your server, when I asked because my Dad is disabled and walks with a stick, as does my Mum he said that he was busy and could I get it. Of course I did not mind but it made me feel a little bit embarrased about asking. However on the second night we had a different server and he was most accommodating (even though he did look really busy). The bitter my Dad was drinking 'Goddards' ran out on the first night and was still off two days later. I also got my car damaged in the car park, this was only cosmetic and easily fixed but was not a great way to end the holiday as I had to travel about 1 hrs round journey and pay over £30 to get it fixed. Reception staff did not seem too concerned or sympathetic but did ring a garage for me who said they couldn't come out as they were busy, Warners reception staff were not rude, not in the least but they were not interested either. After this knock back I arranged something myself making the relevant enquiries on my mobile to sort it all out. All in all an enjoyable experience for all concerned and seriously considering returning.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank NessCharlie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (585)
Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2009

Right on the coast, this is a lovely hotel with well decorated, modern rooms and good food. Warner serves an older market of guests so expect ballroom dancing and bingo in the evenings but if you don't mind that you'll love the good food - much of which is buffet style and the stunning location - you can't get much closer to the sea than this.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Maidstone
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2009

I feel that previous reviewers of this Hotel have concentrated on one thing, the large amount of grey hair present. This is true, but I don't see how this impacts on individuals holidays. I stayed in one of the 'recently refurbished' signature rooms which had a lovely shower and mainly was very clean and pleasant. The one exception was that there was some of the ceiling paint was flaking, maybe the contractor had not applied it properly. The food is buffet style and very good quality, there are a couple of choices that can be ordered at the table. Drinks are a bit pricey and only two pubs in walking distance, so not many alternatives. You have to be in the lounge early to get good seats for the shows( you may have to sit through the bingo!). The entertainment put on by the in-house team is very good and better than the 'professional entertainers'

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Bedfordshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2009

Entertainment and staff very good. Food in restaurant faultless, considering they cater for such a high number.
Beautiful location. Our only gripe was the room. Appear to have been put in the run down section of the hotel called Ledge House. In need of major refurbishment. Website states the standard Ambassador room has having luxurious beds - what a joke. Both sides of the mattress had deep dips in. The wallpaper was stained, the carpet too. As for the old wooden windows - the frames were completely peeled of paint in some places, the windows did not shut properly and part of the frame which had obviously rotted had been replaced with an unpainted piece of wood. There was also mould around the bath. The shower made such a noise when turned on too. As it was our friends 20th wedding anniversary we did not feel we could complain. Would not have a problem with recommending this hotel but would suggest you make sure not in Ledge House.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
straford on avon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2009

just come back from a fri to mon with friends this was my 4 visit in 9 years last time 2006 the standards have slipped awfully . i took advise from one of your letter writers and booked a signature room the decor was great and modern but carpet was dusty all around the edges toilet roll holder was hanging off bedroom ceiling was badly water stained . the whole hotel complex looks tired and need of t.l.c. the food is awful works canteen style when i told the waiter my soup was cold he said the microwave was broke and he could not do anythink about it . needless to say we will vote with our feet and never go here again

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Dorset
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2009

We were booked in and were taken to our room - very smelly and damp. Changed to a cleaner room but decor tired. Evening meals taken between 6.30 pm and 8 pm. ...not what one would expect in a hotel as expensive as this one. Meals very rushed. Special hand cleaner in use as you enter restaurant. Plates dirty and time spent searching for a clean one.

Steam room dirty but cleaned at our request.

Age of guests skewed towards 60 plus years.

We complained to senior management about our stay. After over 3 weeks received a reply and a credit voucher. Needless to say we will not be using the voucher.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DABDorset
Sherborne, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2009

"You can't please all of the people all of the time". The truth of this is borne out both by other reviews and by our own experience at the Bembridge Coast. To describe the food as awful, as one reviewer has, is a travesty. We found it good, some of it very good, and the service in the restaurant was excellent. Our Swedish waiter, Philip, was a delight and Adrian (South African), his stand-in on his day off was.....well, amazing. A wide choice is offered, although if you ate late they did run out of some starters and sweets rather too frequently - probably a consequence of everything being seemingly run by Head Office accountants. We were given complimentary drinks to compensate for this (without asking). If the accountants knew this happened maybe they wouldn't run out so often!

That you can't please all of the people was also borne out by the entertainment. We happened to be there when someone we apparently should have heard of was starring in the Saturday cabaret. To our amazement guests were missing their dinner in order to queue for the best seats. We thought he was awful. By contrast we enjoyed the two unheard-of comedians we saw during the week and the two shows put on by the in-house entertainment team.

So why was this "a different experience"? Well, we hadn't read any of the reviews beforehand and didn't realise exactly what "adults only" meant. The four of us are in our early 60's but must have been pretty well the youngest there, particularly mid-week when the coach parties arrived. The hotel even has its own large supply of wheelchairs! Was this a problem? Not really, as long as one successfully dodged the odd mobility scooter, but the (very) few younger guests did look a bit fazed at times. One positive advantage was that very few guests used the sporting facilities and we had the pitch and putt course (which could have been better maintained) and the indoor swimming pool virtually to ourselves - just as well in the case of the pool as it is only 12.5 metres long and is also used by local residents who belong to the Warner Leisure Club. Those accountants again!

All in all, this is a cross between an old folks home and an up-market holiday camp. Generally well maintained and with friendly staff and in a superb location (although not a good swimming beach). Whether it is worth the money probably depends on the deal you get. Those accountants seem to make sure everyone gets some sort of discount from the published tariff with the end result that no-one knows where they are.

Would I go there again? Possibly. Would I recommend this hotel to a friend? Probably not (unless he's an accountant!)

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dorsetlad
Phil_at_Bembridge, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Bembridge Coast Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2009
Firstly may I thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted about your feedback on the food as we took on a new Head Chef in April to move our dining experience forward. He has worked all over the world and already we have seen a significant increase in our guest satisfaction questionnaire results. I have also passed on your positive comments about the service to Philip and Adrian. I am a little surprised about your comments re "Accountants" as this really is not the case - Infact I have an entertainment and hospitatility background and we have the full autonomy to run the business to ensure the best possible guest experience. Our mission is to offer "Superior Sales and Service" to all our guests and I guess the fact that there are many positive reviews here on Trip Advisor as well as so many repeat guests bears testament to that. (and not the accountants theory ?)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bembridge
The Royal Hotel
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa
Seaview Hotel
Seaview Hotel
#1 of 2 in Seaview

Been to Warner Leisure Hotels Bembridge Coast Hotel? Share your experiences!