“A Scenic Branchline”

$648.72*
Private Small-Group Haworth, Bolton Abbey, and Steam Trains Day Trip from York
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Travel the lovely English countryside on this scenic train pulled by a steam locomotive, leaving from Bolton Abbey Station to the historic Embsay Station, built in 1888. Trains run every Sunday all year Tuesdays Saturdays & Sundays from April to end October and Daily late July to the end of August
Bury, Lancashire
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“A Scenic Branchline”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I recently visited the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Railway's Branchline Weekend. The fare for an all day adult ticket was £15, good value for a preserved railway gala, but undeniably steep if you just wanted to take your children on a train ride. I found the line to be very scenic, and the rolling stock to be in good condition, especially the vintage carriage set which was immaculate and a real credit to all involved. I thoroughly enjoyed my day, but came away with some negative views of the place. Firstly, the catering is very good, but also very expensive. Also, I couldn't help feeling that some of the railways volunteers were too young. I know from first hand experience that a lot of railways won't accept volunteers who are below the age of 16, or indeed 18 in some cases, but this railway seemed to have people on duty who were considerably younger than that. Of course I appreciate that it's up to each preserved railway to set it's own standards, and I don't doubt that Embsay & Bolton Abbey have proved to the relevant bodies that they can use young volunteers in non-safety critical roles without any problems so I'm sure it's fine, it's just something that struck me as a little unusual.

1 Thank Adam R

York, United Kingdom
“Steam Festival”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Came down with the kids to have a look around and a drink and cake having been to another (excellent) attraction in the area. Wasn't allowed on the platform or into the café without a "platform ticket" which was a mere fiver as there was a special event on.

The reaction when I suggested that this didn't represent great value was "well we think it is". Unfriendly, unhelpful, unrealistic. I take the kids on steam trains once in a while but wont be gracing this lot with my money - I will give it to an organisation that values customers.

Visited May 2013
SCW710614, Manager at Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
We are very sorry that this reviewer did not feel willing to pay to enter our Gala event, our railway is entirely operated by volunteers whose only reward is the pleasure we give to our visitors. We however must cover our costs and £5 is not a lot to view the 7 working locos that day. We are delighted that the other reviewers of this event felt we offered good value
Manchester, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“All Steamed Up!”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I attended their Branchline Weekend event and thoroughly enjoyed it. Considering that it is manned and operated by volunteers and most of the running stock is ancient, I think that they perform miracles.
I was met with a smile and plenty of information at the ticket office before enjoying the obligatory bacon sandwich at the buffet counter. The train ride to Bolton Abbey station was smooth and trouble free with glorious views of the local countryside gliding by. This was accompanied by a beaker of tea obtained from the pleasant and chatty buffet attendant.
Access to Bolton Abbey was straight forward, with the assistance and more leaflets from the station manager? and his trusted dog. It is well worth the walk, with the Abbey surrounded by parkland and laid out walking routes. There are plenty of eateries to sample en- route, if required.
Upon return, I sampled a sandwich and a piece of cake for a fiver. It was served in a clean environment and worth every penny. The only thing that I didn't enjoy was the piped music blasting out on the platform. Nature and steam trains have their own marvellous sounds which we don't hear often enough.
It was a blast from the past that I look forward to enjoying again. Thank you for your hospitality.

GRNTHAM
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Half price Rail fare.”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

If you pick up a Yorkshire Tourist guide, you can use the voucher in that publication ,
for half price rail fare. I.E. Adult fare normally £10.00 each, with voucher two adults,
return trip for £10.00 only.
Very nice and peacefull ride up to Bolton Abbey, and then return.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank 527taffybee
York, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Thomas weekends”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Visited with kids on a Thomas weekend. Kids love it. great photo opportunities. Can be a bit pricey but well worth it if you save up for a treat.