1,568 results
All reviewsburlington restaurantdevonshire armstasting menuafternoon teaattention to detailcocktail loungethe riveracross the roadbiscuitsfour poster bedone night staymichelin starwhole experiencemain restaurantcountry house hotelwedding anniversarycar park
Reviewed March 23, 2010

We were looking forward to staying here after reading various recommendations but can only say that for £264 per night, the room was pathetic. The bed was a small double, the carpet was worn, the floors squeaked, the bathroom plain. My husband complained to the ungracious receptionist, stating that as a large person he could not comfortably sleep in the bed and that the room was not up to standard. She simply shrugged her shoulders.....
We have travelled the world and stayed in many similar classed/ priced hotels and can only comment that this was a disappointing experience and certainly would not stay there again.

8  Thank hamoosh
BvO123, Brian van Oosten, General Manager at The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2010

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. It really saddens me to read on here you had a bad experience with us, I wish you had asked to speak to me or my deputy and we would have been able to assist you with your complaint. My sincere apologies for the inconveniece caused and i hope we may welcome you back one day in the future.

With kind regards,

Brian van Oosten

Reviewed March 19, 2010

Had a great weekend for my wife's birthday, lovely spa and super relaxing massage and reflexology from Lucy who very generously offered to stay on to accommodate the fact we were late for our first treatment. This summed up the service all weekend. Very polite, pleasant staff, nothing too much trouble (despite some awkward requests), fabulous food and drink, beautiful location. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anyone else. Looking forward to our next visit.

Reviewed March 14, 2010

We stayed for my birthday weekend and the service was great, really friendly people and very comfortable hotel. We had a suite which was a bit on the small side but very cosy. Dinner in the Burlington was a major disappointment - too much froth and fidly bit snad very small portions. We'v eaten at much better Michelin starred restaurants. Breakfast disappointing too given the nature of the hotel, basic choice of cereals and a rather small cooked breakfast. Brasserie lovely though! Had a great day at the Landrover experience down the road which was the reason we stayed.

Reviewed March 4, 2010

My husband and I have just returned from a surprise weekend in Yorkshire to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary, and unbeknown to me we were booked in at the Devonshire Arms for the night, which is where it all began 30 years ago, we had our wedding reception and evening do there, and I also celebrated my 21st birthday there too, a long time ago! You can imagine it was a very nostalgic return which could not have been any nicer. We were greeted in the carpark and our luggage taken on ahead to our room. We stayed in the Crace room which was the nicest hotel room I have ever been in, a beautiful fire burning, home made buscuits, a fantastic array of tea, molton brown bath goodies, and the most comfortable bed I have slept in, I have to say I struggled to want to leave the room, the view of Beamsley and the grounds was breathtaking.

We had our evening meal in the Brasserie which was relaxed and friendly and the food was excellent, and then returned to the hotel bar for a nice coffee and night cap.

I can not fault the Devonshire for the service and hospitality and we will be back very soon to enjoy the restaurant and spa facilities, and we will be taking our dog along to make the most of the beautiful walks up the river.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CumbriaPearl

Thank you for your very kind comments following your recent stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Regards Brian van Oosten

Reviewed February 21, 2010

My husand booked a 2 night stay at the Devonshire Arms Hotel as a surprise for me to celebrate my birthday. From the moment we drove up to the hotel, to the time we left, the whole experience was fabulous.

As soon as we parked up, we were greeted by the friendly staff who took our luggage, checked us in, and took us on a tour of the hotel and grounds because it was our first stay.

During our stay we visited the health spa and I had a full body massage which was amazing. At the time I was pretty stressed with work but the treatment worked wonders to destress me!!! We also dined at both The Brasserie and The Burlington. Both, although very different, were excellent in terms of service, quality of food and ambience. The Burlington is a realy dining experience and I couldn't stop talking about it when I got home.

We also made the most of the perfect location of the hotel and enjoyed a number of walks, followed by afternoon tea in the main lounge, which again was lovely.

In summary we had a great time, so much so that we went back for a short stay at the end of January.....and I'm already planning our next visit!!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple