Dalesway Hotel(Ilkley)(Great Value!)
$85
$83
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $92/night.

$102
$85
$88
$84
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $94/night.

$122
$119
Hotels.com
$84
Travelodge Skipton(Skipton)(Great Value!)
$41
Travelodge
Savings alert! 24% below average rates

The price you found is 24% lower than this hotel's average rate of $54/night.

Dalesgate Hotel(Keighley)
Black Horse Hotel(Grassington)
$106
  • Breakfast included
1,549 results
All reviewsburlington restaurantdevonshire armstasting menuafternoon teaattention to detailcocktail loungethe riveracross the roadbiscuitsfour poster bedcar parkone night staymichelin starwhole experiencecountry house hotelwedding anniversarymain restaurant
Reviewed August 15, 2006

I would agree entirely with previous reviews with regard to wedding parties. We suffered the same fate on a Suturday evening in May. We were not told beforehand & that ranckled, given the disruption to guests which must be obvious to the management. Infact, we felt like we were crashing the wedding!
This was our third visit but our first wedding function by proxy. Hitherto, we considered it a lovely location, if pricey. We have also noticed that the portions in the restaurant have suffered a recent quantity deficit, we discussed it and agreed it was not our joint imaginations. I know it has a M star and all that but an inch square piece of trout is pushing it! We have to say, however, that the taste/flavours are still exceptional.
The entire evening cost in excess of £500, which, given the ordinary bathroom & additional wedding guests was just too much to bear with any type of stoicism.
The Devonshire Arms is in a lovely location, no doubt but we will not be returning. We would recommend the Angel at Hetton. instead.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
5  Thank TYRY
A TripAdvisor Member
England
Reviewed April 1, 2006

What a perfect weekend! Having just returned from the hotel we felt we had to write and reccomend it. Everything is pretty much perfect, from the greeting in the car park with luggage being delivered to the room, to the attentive service and delivery of anything you ask for. Despite being a luxury hotel there is no stuffiness and you feel instantly at home.

The food in both the restaurant and the brasserie is superb and we don't think we have had a better meal than the dining experience that awaits you in the Burlington. It may be pricey but is worth every penny.

The spa is also the perfect place to relax and unwind after a day in the dales.

We will definitely be back and will recommend the hotel to everyone we know.

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 31, 2006

I read the last review with a knowing feeling in my stomach. We stayed at this hotel one weekend and had exactly the same experience with the Wedding parties. In fact, we did attempt to have Afternoon Tea on one day but were move three times by the Hotel staff to make room for the wedding guests. Upon check out I commented on wedding parties encroching on Residents and was told that I should expect this during the summer months when there are weddings every weekend. We have not returned.

• Stayed: August 2003
3  Thank bigbloke
Reviewed February 19, 2006

We stayed for 2 days just recently and overall I thought it was poor value and, for any sophisticated user of hotels, definitely not in the luxury league. To be fair there were good points - these were principally the food in the main restaurant which was excellent at both dinner and breakfast and the service in the restaurant. Dining there was comaparable to many London restaurants and very good wine list. Also in the main part of the hotel the public rooms are well appointed and furnished.

My main gripe was that we were not told that on both days there were weddings to be held in the hotel - this meant that when we arrived we could not park ( even in the large and rather ugly car park), the lobby and public rooms were full of noisy guests and we were rather hurried through to our room and told by the person on the reception that she didn't have time to show us round at that moment. Forget a cup of tea in the lounge etc - it was packed with weddign people. We were told that the guests would be going into a separate area later - this was not altogether the case and we ate our dinner to the accompaniament of a screaming, overtired baby which we could hear through a glass fire door until we asked to be moved.

Next day was exactly the same story - got back ot the hotel at 5ish - exactly when you want to sit down and have a cup of tea - packed with wedding guests again - we felt forced simply to spend time in our rather cramped room until dinner. I told the hotel when I checked out how unhappy I was with this - we ended up being charged £1000 for 2 nights and not able to use the hotel properly - was told they only know 3 weeks in advance about weddings - I simply don't believe that. On this aspect I very much felt the hotel was really a "functions" hotel - if there is a wedding on a Friday in February you can be damn sure there will be one or two pretty much every weekend and I saw a member of staff showing potential wedding parties around. I think the hotel is trying to be too greedy - getting full whack off the residents ( and the prices are unjustifiably high except re the food which is worth it) but also squeezing in as much commerncial business as possible. Not to put too fine a point on this, the weddings can mean that you can spend your "luxury" "relaxing" break with the sort of people you would might normally meet on a ferry necking down lagers in the bar. Anyway inevitably the residents get the raw end of the deal and there is no sense of service or being looked after - except that the manager ( who obviously briefs himself seconds before doing so ) greets you with rather over the top bonhomie once you are in the bar - ie if you come from Shrewsbury you could be pretty sure that he would have a cousin who lives there etc.

Hotel room itself was on the very small side for the price (£260 a night room only) - even though we were told we had been upgraded (room called Park Top if anyone is interested) - I've stayed in a far larger room in the Connaught in Mayfair for only slightly more with much nicer and classier furnishings. Also the bathroom was on the tatty side - plastic bath (yuk yuk yuk) which had not been properly cleaned, worn and dirty carpet and exposed plaster behind the towel raditor. Also in the room dying flowers were left in a vase both nights and teapot was not cleaned/replaced - very poor indeed. They can harp on all they like about the Devonshire connection but I am reasonably sure that the Duchess of Devonshire does not bathe in a plastic bath!

Building and location wise you may also be in for a bit of a surprise - in terms of the building itself, whilst the main house is a handsome Georgian stone house, the extension is hideous and completely spoils the line of the building - I don't expect architectural wonders - but it is beyond belief that anyone commissioned this thing which looks like a prison barracks from certain angles. Worse than this is the road noise - both from the road going up the side of the hotel and also from the (very near indeed) main A59. There is of course no mention of this in any of the literature but the hotel is 30 secs off the A59 so if you are looking for something more recondite and secluded this is not it.

The health spa is a nice building and well fitted out - it feels fairly expensive - again however the hotel is trying to get too much from everyone - the spa is open to non residents and is consequently fairly full at peak times and fairly child intensive. I would imagine that later in the year the spa is likely to be unbearably crowded all the time. My husband dubbed it the Verruca Spa on this basis. Also pool/jacuzzi etc are small and it is boring that the spa is over the road so you can't wander over in your dressing gown.

Finally the bill! Obviously I knew the room price but this had been quoted inclusive of VAT but VAT was added on - also some very large charges were added unitemised which is naughty and which on further inspection revealed some very hefty separate service charges - there was also service on teh overall bill. They are definitely trying to get their money - when we were eating for instance we given a second bottle of water without our being asked which meant I had to ask at the table for them to remove it from the bill - you just don't want tht kind of thing when you are trying to have a good time.

I hope this is helpful to anyone who is thinking of staying here - I have tried to be fair and I would definitely eat here again but would not stay in the hotel which is being greedy and trading shamelessly off the Devonshire thing. I do not mind spending a great deal of money on hotels from time to time - but I expect to get my money's worth and here we did not. By the way for anyone looking for good hotels with good food in the Dales I would recommend Simonstone Hall in Hawes ( an old hunting lodge ) - we had a giant room with a four poster and good furniture, beautiful quiet location and good food. A much less pretentious place where they were not always selling to you and literally half the price of the Devonshire even with a larger room. Also good is the Burgoyne in Reeth.

Sue Cellan Jones

• Stayed: February 2006
18  Thank SueCJ
A TripAdvisor Member
Lancashire
Reviewed January 2, 2006

Four of us often visit Bruge early December, this year for a change we went local, this was a mistake. The high spot of our stay was the welcome on arrival, Service was no more than average, a dirty Breakfast tray in the bedroom corridor was still awaiting removal at 5.0pm serious overcharging errors which in fairness were removed without fuss. The Spa/pool area has no loungers and was cold due to problems with the heating.Probably the worst value for money hotel that we have stayed at.

• Stayed: December 2005