For the umpteenth time we go to the Devonshire, this time for the new year package and then a few more days for Sue's birthday not counting those visits now! First the new chef is in our view much better, not to many flavours on the plate lovely balance of flavours, better even than Michael was and he never got justice from the GFG, Adam will and at least one star possibly two given comparison with say The Vineyard or the Capital or any French two star restaurant. Not Yorkshire proportions but lots of lovely tastes. Lots of people saying not had smoked eel before and it was lovely, of course it is.
Next the staff are still the main asset, if you name is not here sorry it does not mean anything adverse it's space, time . Guillaume a tireless restaurant manager, Mr Fairclough whose wine list and knowledge of same is outstanding, more wine merchant and sommelier rather than wine waiter. Eddie, Gary, Ryan unfailing help in all matters in and outside the hotel. Note if you are going on a walk ESP. The hotel walk on Boxing or NY day WEAR THE PROPER GEAR, boots not fashion boots, not heels! And waterproofs top to toe.
Shona, Efan and LIz in the bar doing two people's work on their own which is why Guillaume is always around as back up. Michael who gave me clean shoes everyday and all the reception staff thank you all. Lastly the lovely Magdalena in the restaurant xxx to you. Gregor and the house team had our room done by the time we got back from breakfast, another improvement, TY.
Our room, the Herbert Royle is now decorated nicely the garish colour clashes having been removed, Shepherd, Thrace, Craike on the landing are v. Nice too but most rooms are. Prefer rooms with a view of the river.
Finally the best dog hotel along side the Cary Arms we have found in Britain and The Republic. This hotel is a gem in terms of food, open fires and setting but it is the staff that make it a place in a class of its own in the UK service comparable with the Feltrinelli, but a bit less expensive!
Like going to stay with old friends would be a good summary.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within 30,000 acres of land on the Bolton Abbey Estate, this impressive 4-star country house hotel boasts an award-winning restaurant, an adult-only spa, a gym and an indoor pool. Skipton is just 5.8 miles away and Harrogate is 16.2 miles away. Each elegant room has a spacious seating area and a flat-screen TV with a DVD player ans satellite channels. All rooms offer different views of The Dales, River Wharfe and Italian Garden, and all rooms feature a luxury bathroom. Situated in the very heart of the Yorkshire Dales, The Devonshire Arms Hotel has a luxurious spa featuring a sauna, steam room, swimming pool and whirlpool. A range of treatments and massages are available and the property also has outdoor tennis courts. Clay pigeon shooting, fly-fishing, and falconry displays are all possible within the Bolton Abbey Estate. The award-winning Burlington Restaurant offers a seasonal menu using the finest local produce. Guests can enjoy the ever-popular afternoon tea, and there is also a lounge bar. The Brasserie offers guests a more modern gastro-menu featuring some of Yorkshire's favourite dishes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, LateRooms, TripOnline SA and Priceline so you can book your The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Devonshire Arms Country House Hotel And Spa
- The Devonshire Arms Country House Hotel Bolton Abbey
- Devonshire Arms Country Skipton
- Devonshire Arms Country Hotel
- The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa Bolton Abbey, Yorkshire