Dalesway Hotel(Ilkley)(Great Value!)
$73
PremierInn.com
$111
1,547 results
All reviewsburlington restaurantdevonshire armstasting menuafternoon teaattention to detailcocktail loungethe riveracross the roadfour poster bedbiscuitscar parkone night staymichelin starwhole experiencecountry house hotelwedding anniversarymain restaurant
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed for one night but would have loved to stay longer. The hotel caters to dog owners however in was no inundated with them. The spa is very relaxing and the changing cubicles unique. We had dinner in the brasserie. We wished we had been in the restaurant but the food was the best I have eaten in a long time

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My grandfather treated my parents and I to a weekend here and I must say it was a truly fantastic experience. The staff were very lovely and polite, and nothing was too much to ask. The rooms was GORGEOUS and very welcoming, the beds were clean and comfortable.
The favourite part of our stay was the food, we ate in the brasserie both nights and all agreed that it was the best food we'd ever had. We asked for the recipe for one of the meals and the chef wrote it out for us, which shows just how lovely everyone is at this place.
The location is great as well, I walked our dog to the priory on both mornings and was there and back in an hour - it's very close. The surrounding scenery is great and there's also plenty to do like fishing and cricket.
The main reason we chose this place was so that my granddad could bring his treasured dog, and the facilities were excellent. The staff are happy to babysit your dog while you eat, and dogs are allowed everywhere in the hotel (apart from eating places) so it really feels like you're at home.
The strawberry cream tea was great too - the kitchen staff catered for my mother by making her lactose-free scones. Nothing is too big a task!
I would definitely go again and will recommend this to all my friends. Seems like a great place for a honeymoon, too.

Room Tip: Room 10 is specially equipped for disabilities - it's large and has a big bathroom with a wide door and hand rails. The only thing is that the floor of the shower is made from normal tiles, so it becomes very slippery and treacherous.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 15, 2013

A fantastic location,really friendly and helpful staff.
A great lunch in the Brasserie,a lovely break from flyfishing on the river Wharf.
Flyfishing on the estate,is fantastic ,7 brown trout on the first day,followed by 2 more day's,well worth paying the day ticket price.Great sport,and I shall be back.

Room Tip: All the room's are quallity,A5 star service form a 5 Star Hotel. Don't let the pomp put you off a£25 lunch is worth every penny...Delish...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed here for one night during an extensive tour. Thankfully it was only one night as we found it to be the worst experience throughout weeks of touring the English countryside. On entering the lounge bar, my husband approached the bar to purchase drinks and was directed to take a seat and someone would come and take our order. Unfortunately, perhaps as a result of the bar person being involved in conversation with an elderly gentleman engaged in drinking whilst at the bar, we were overlooked for some time until eventually we were noticed by the general manager who very kindly arranged for drinks and a late sandwich for us. The following morning we were directed by a dark haired foreign waiter to the first available table (without any thought whatsoever) right beside the breakfast buffet and next to a group of rather loud businessmen, despite several other more discrete tables being available. It soon became apparent we were amidst busy traffic to & from the buffet table in addition to being drowned out by the volume of the group of American & other businessmen seated nearby - a little forethought as to the positioning a group of businessmen at breakfast time with due consideration for others was sadly missing. Having identified a quieter table ourselves, we advised two of the dining room staff that we had relocated and asked for another fresh pot of tea & coffee as the first was now cold and we were yet to finish our breakfast. Meantime, another couple also relocated from their assigned table. I caught the attention of the initial waiter again and voiced a further second but gentle reminder that we were still awaiting tea & coffee (everything was cold by now). We were horrified by his rebuked response "Yes, it's coming. … It's coming!" while he drifted away stopping to chat at another table and then yet another table, clearly totally unconcerned or rather, we felt, he was perhaps irritated with us. After a further frustrating wait we eventually abandoned our breakfast - the tea & coffee still not having arrived - and felt very annoyed indeed with this individual in particular. We've never experienced such rudeness and shoddy treatment in any of the establishments we've stayed in and, let's face it ,- there are loads of places to stay that don't cost as much and where clientele are treated with due respect.
On checking out, the staff on reception were helpful and apologetic. A slight adjustment was made to our bill and assurance given that our comments would be relayed to the appropriate personnel.
We had expected the Devonshire Arms to have been included as some of the best hotel experiences during our tour, unfortunately, and rather sadly, our experience there was one of the worst!
We understood this hotel to be of a particular standard, however while the decor, grounds etc. may be very nice, I believe due to certain individuals it failed to deliver some of the most very basic levels of civility to the point of being offensive. Shortly after returning home I received an online survey from the Devonshire Arms Hotel which prompted me to contact the general manager of the hotel to make them aware of our experience (first time ever that I've written to complain about hotel accommodation). While I did receive an acknowledgement from hotel admin/reservation staff assuring me that my comments had been brought to the general manager's personal attention, - just like the breakfast tea & coffee - I am still awaiting on a response in regard to that too. On having read some other reviews it would appear that lack of response & rudeness is perhaps becoming a feature of this hotel's service. What a real shame. :-(

Room Tip: Small bathrooms in the Wharfedale rooms + they overlook a courtyard & being ground floor afford little privacy with people walking past windows!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank ZaraJ15
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We liked the devonshire arms - nice spa, great staff, gorgeous location and hotel. A bit more expensive than we'd normally like but we did enjoy it. Wasn't that impressed by the devonshire arms pub but we're veggies and it can be a bit hard to find really god veggie food in meat-happy traditional hotels like this. Wouldn't come again but that's down to cost. At least there was a delicious cream tea thrown into the price - which solves all evils.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Andrew M, General Manager at The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Dear Levitz78

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay with us.

It was so nice to see that you really liked the hotel, our location and that you thought we have great staff - I agree but I am ever so slightly biased.
I was sorry to see that we didn't have enough vegetarian options for you in the Brasserie, however the Burlington restaurant does run a full vegetarian tasting menu, which we would have been delighted to have offered you.
With regards to our prices, please keep an eye out for our fantastic special offers throughout the year.
Kind regards