1,566 results
All reviewsburlington restaurantdevonshire armstasting menuafternoon teaattention to detailcocktail loungethe riveracross the roadbiscuitsfour poster bedone night staymichelin starwhole experiencemain restaurantcountry house hotelwedding anniversarycar park
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have wanted to stay at this hotel for some time and sent emails to their reservations team address regarding availability and upgrading our meal from the one on offer as part of the travel zoo deal. I did receive a response to my initial enquiry but have since had three emails gone unanswered. Given the standard of hotel this is supposed to be and a promise on the website that they would respond to emails in office hours within 30 minutes this is extremely poor customer service and so we shall be booking elsewhere

Stayed: November 2012
5  Thank gem392
DevonshireHotels, Marketing Manager at The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

I would like apologise for the lack of correspondence that you received whilst arranging your booking at The Devonshire Arms. We pride ourselves highly on our customer service, for which we have received many awards. Therefore following your comments we have implemented measures to prevent and ensure such issues will not occur again.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

An amazing birthday treat. The welcome was warm from the staff with time for a drink in the lounge before lunch. The staff were genuinely interested in our weekend and then provided us with excellent service, really superb food and made the day very special. Lots of other nice people to chat to. We were served a Pre starter and a Pre dessert in addition to the food we had ordered, the best food we have had the pleasure to eat.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We arrived at The Devonshire Arms looking forward to a two night break. We are familiar with both the hotel and the glorious surroundings and so were optimistic as to outcome.

We were met by a familiar concierge who escorted us to our pre-chosen room. We had stayed before and been very happy with the outlook. Not this time. Work was in progress on the nearby conservatory and we were greeted by the sound of sawing and hammering. We should have been informed of the on-going work and offered the opportunity to select an other room. Part of the charm of our previous visit had been breakfast in the conservatory. We were shown an alternative room on arrival which had a beautiful view and we accepted it. The room and bathroom were very small in comparison to similar category hotels we have stayed in during the past few months. The decor was very pleasant and all reasonable requirements were met.

We asked to see the menus for both restaurants. There was nothing which appealed on The Burlington Menu. Choice was very limited and the food over-complex so we opted for the Brasserie. We had a pre-dinner drink in one of the lounges but it was very obvious that there was a divide between those eating in the Burlington and those in the Brasserie - canapes for one and not the other for example.

After several false starts, too near the fire, under speakers with too much 'noise', on a busy pathway to another part of the restaurant, we found a table in the Brasserie where we could relax and both survey the room. The service was excellent and we had a pleasant meal. We asked to reserve the same table for the following evening.

We enjoyed sitting by the fire in the 'dog' lounge chatting with fellow guests some of whom had eaten in the Burlington. We were surprised that there was little discussion of the food apart from one mention of a wonderful chocolate concoction.

We were lucky with the weather and spent our second day revisiting old haunts in the area. We returned to our room to find we were without heating. This was rectified whilst we were having supper but did dampen the spirits at the time.

On arrival at the Brasserie, we found our chosen table had not been reserved for us and so the table hopping performance started again. The staff were very patient. I suspect we were not the first to experience difficulties in a space which is predominantly a thoroughfare.

Unfortunately we found our starters were unappetising, neither of us could eat them.
'Is everything all right?' seemed a little out of place when patently it wasn't. The main course was well cooked and presented but we lost the will to brave a pudding.

Having adjourned to the 'dog' lounge again, we had a most interesting and lively hour or so with two couples who were also on short breaks. We were looked after beautifully by another delightful member of staff.

Breakfasts were an improvement on our evening dining experiences. Coffee was rather weak on the first morning but perfectly to our taste the second. Service was friendly, efficient and very professional. I dropped a knife and it was replaced within seconds of my recovering it. The food was cooked to our specification and well presented.

The 'front of house' staff were warm, friendly and helpful. They dealt with the room complication, the lack of heat in our bedroom and a computer 'glitch' when I couldn't access my e-mail with skill and common sense.

Would we return? Yes, if the menus were amended to include food which people want to eat rather than highly priced, over complex, 'clever' food combinations.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Fairlamb
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Firstly the positives;
1. Excellent location close to Bolton Abbey
2. Rooms small but well appointed, toiletries first class
3. Reception and concierge staff were very friendly and efficient
4. The hotels attitude to dogs is very refreshing, the welcome pack and dog bowl is a nice touch
Secondly the negatives;
1. The breakfast room was very quiet and lacking in atmosphere and not conducive for a long, lazy weekend breakfast
2. The service at breakfast was far too officious and very slow
a. We waited 30 minutes for a full English breakfast
b. I ordered coffee, upon pouring it was merely hot water
c. We ordered white toast an were served with brown toast
d. We asked for well done bacon, breakfast came and the bacon was virtually raw, we asked for another breakfast
e. At the second attempt the bacon was cooked perfectly but unfortunately the rest of the breakfast had been kept warm and as a consequence the eggs were ruined
f. At the third attempt breakfast was served but by this time we were full on toast
3. Service in the lounges was very slow and sometimes non existent. On Saturday afternoon we tried to order afternoon tea only to find that there was a 45 minute wait, we ordered tea/coffee instead
4. On Friday evening in the Brasserie my steak was overcooked and I was forced to send it back, when a replacement arrived my wife had nearly finished her meal.
5. The Brasserie lacked atmosphere, the background music was barely audible, when I asked the young bartender to increase the volume he said it was already on......I simply walked away and couldn't be bothered to challenge
6. When the bill was printed it included optional gratuities, again I couldn't be bothered to challenge
I would like to think that we were simply unlucky but I think this would be over generous!!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Adrian48
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Have just returned from a first visit, two night break. Couldn't find much to complain about but when I did (coffee not hot enough at breakfast) my complaint was dealt with swiftly and efficiently.The staff were all fantastic without being in your face. We loved the open fires, the decor, the fact that dogs were so welcomed, the wellies at the door, the beautiful walks, plenty of reading material around and exceptionally good food and drink. Try to get a facial off Amy if you can, she really cares about her job and it was possibly the best facial massage I have ever had. I felt totally relaxed and pampered and the price was very fair. The little spa area is a real bonus. We met a lot of people who were returners and we will be joining them. This is British hospitality at its best and what we have come to know and expect from the Devonshire estate. Chatsworth is also a delight.
Finally take a trip to Saltaire. We did (on the recommendation of another guest) and thoroughly enjoyed a half day there ; we loved the David Hockneys and the history of the place.

Room Tip: i think all the rooms would be good here.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple