1,566 results
All reviewsburlington restaurantdevonshire armstasting menuafternoon teaattention to detailcocktail loungethe riveracross the roadbiscuitsfour poster bedone night staymichelin starwhole experiencemain restaurantcountry house hotelwedding anniversarycar park
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I was taken here for my Birthday in mid June, as we all know the weather was far from perfect but we still had a great time. We were met in the car park by a very smart and friendly porter, who welcomed us to the hotel and took our bags. The reception area is very impressive, with a roaring log fire. We were checked in to out room swiftly and I am pleased to say we were taken to our room, showed all the facilities etc, much better than being pointed in the direction and left to find it yourself.

We were in a standard room, well appointed and cosy with a smart bathroom ( no fridge though). The outlook was lovely over the gardens with the thickest curtains you have ever seen.

We then visited the spa just across the road, this was also very nice and surprisingly quite. We enjoyed the facilities here and visited it twice during out stay. We have intended to spoil ourselves with numerous treatments, however they were almost fully booked and we only managed a half hour session each. If you are planning on staying here and using the spa, I strongly recommend that you book treatments before you get there.

We ate out of the hotel the first evening and in the Bistro on the second evening. Lovely dinning room, great service and very friendly staff. There is also a fine dinning restaurant here, quite expensive at £85.00 per head. To be honest the price as not an issue, just nothing on the menu appealed to us. Others that we met while there enjoyed the food but did say the portions were very small. Each morning we took breakfast here which was just delicious.

We also took some cocktails in the lounge which was a very relaxing and enjoyable experience.

Please not that the table service is excellent, however when we checked out there had been a charge for each time they brought drinks to the table

Sop overall our stay was excellent, for us not somewhere we would go more than once a year as it is not cheap, but worth every penny if your with me !

Go, spoil yourself, I am sure you will not be disappointed !.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Thank you so much for this lovely review, I have passed your compliments to all the team.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

A beautiful setting and a very warm welcome.
Our room was on the ground floor overlooking the valley, with the hills in the background, a truly stunning view.All home comforts were present including a beautiful porcelain tea set and even a cosy hot water bottle. The staff were so helpful and courteous and looked after us so very well.We used the Brasserie for our meals and again,excellent service and lovely food.
My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and appreciated the care and thoughtfulness of the staff.

Room Tip: Ask for the details of the available rooms
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elisabeth S
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

I booked here for my 30th bday and was told I would get a 4 poster bedroom they also made a point if noting down it was my bday, id read on here that some had got room upgrades or a bottle of champagne in their room bcos they had mentioned their bday. The room we got was not a 4 poster like was told so I was very disappointed and no champagne it was a lovely hotel though and food excellent definately go again

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Sah44
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your birthday with us. I was sorry that you did not get the room you were expecting but was pleased to read that it has not put you off visiting again in the future.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

Everything as expected for a high class hotel. The room was delightful in the old pan nextrt of the house called The Cartoon Room. The restaurant michellin star was wonderful. The wine waiter left a lot to be desired but we enjoyed every other inch and moment.
The Inn next door was also very lovely and friendly.

Room Tip: All rooms seem good depending on budget. All unique in their own style.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
DevonshireHotels, Manager at The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Thank you for choosing The Devonshire Arms and for this lovely review. Hopefully you will visit us again one day.
From all the team at The Devonshire Arms

Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

What a fab hotel. On arrival we where greeting my a guy dressed in tweed (very smart) who kindly advised that we were too early to check in but he'd show us round anyway, he was polite, informative & friendly - we had a good look round & decided to go into Harrogate for a few hours to kill some time. We stopped in at the lovely little tea room across the road which was yummy & very reasonably priced. On return we were shown straight to our room which was really nice, clean with a big comfy bed. Room facilities are good, you call down for fresh milk & ice which is speedily brought at no extra charge. We had one small issue which was the fan in the bathroom - it makes a terrible loud noise when switched on initially but we got used to it. We had dinner in the brasserie the choice is ok & the wait staff are great. We had a great nights sleep & ordered room service breakfast which was good, they need to wrap the toast as it was cold when it arrived but generally It's good aside from that minor point. After a nice walk and another trip to the tea rooms we had a relaxing peaceful afternoon in the hotel & decided to order room service for dinner. I ordered from the main menu & my hubby had a sandwich - once again the food was yummy & very enjoyable. I would of happily stayed another night but we had to move on. I did notice that wait staff seem uncomfortable taking tips from you which is explained by the automatically added service charge which is odd - I tipped everyone from the wait staff in the brasserie to the room service delivery wait staff & kinda wish that had of been explained better to me or that I'd payed more attention reading reviews on here that mention it - all the same I loved this hotel & look forward to staying again.

• Stayed: June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write the wonderful review. I was sorry to hear that your bathroom fan was loud but pleased that it did not upset an otherwise enjoyable stay. None of the team expects to receive gratuities from our guests, but if you do choose to tip individuals, please feel free to ask for the optional service charge to be removed from your bill on check-out.
From all the team at The Devonshire Arms