We stayed at the Devonshire Arms for one night on Sunday 5th February 2012 as a special treat for my birthday. When we arrived, we were greeted by the firendly reception staff and our case was taken to our room while we checked in. We had a Wharfdale Room which was tastefully decorated and had a fantastic view. In the afternoon, we made use of the spa facilitied which are very chic and the pool was just like getting into a warm bath. At six months pregnant, this was bliss! The hotel is cosy and and inviting and the bar area is lovely. The turn-down service is a great idea and part of what makes this hotel so special. We had the a-la-carte dinner in the Burlington restaurant which is magically transformed at night with candles and silver crockery. My husband doesn't like seafood and the gentleman who took our order was most accomodating and offered to change some of the dishes as required. Nothing was too much trouble and the service in the restaurant was friendly and efficient without being intrusive. This was our first Michelin star experience and we enjoyed every minute from the amuse bouche to the pre-dessert course. When the amuse bouche was brought out and it contained fish, the staff immediately removed it and brought my husband something else delicious to sample and with it came apologies from the chef (which there was no need for but was a nice touch). The food was exquisite, a real taste sensation and left us feeling totally satisfied and delighted by the experience. Breakfast was also delicious. It was a nice touch having this in the conservatory.
My husband and I have a rather large age gap and, in other places we have visited, the staff haved treated us differently because of this. Not so at the Devonshire Arms - professional to the end and we really appreciated this. Upon leaving, our case was taken to the car by I think the duty manager even though we said there was no need - he replied saying we were still on holday until we got in the car. This left me with a smile on my face! My only quibble is the 12.5% service charge on everything including the room. We left what we consider to be a decent service charge (which actually equated to almost the 12.5%) but I don't like being told how much to pay for service. I think if the hotel removed this they may find they got more. The service and experience were top class.
This break was a real treat for us, the Devonshire Arms is not somewhere we could go to on a regular basis but we will definitely be returning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within 30,000 acres of land on the Bolton Abbey Estate, this impressive 4-star country house hotel boasts an award-winning restaurant, an adult-only spa, a gym and an indoor pool. Skipton is just 5.8 miles away and Harrogate is 16.2 miles away. Each elegant room has a spacious seating area and a flat-screen TV with a DVD player ans satellite channels. All rooms offer different views of The Dales, River Wharfe and Italian Garden, and all rooms feature a luxury bathroom. Situated in the very heart of the Yorkshire Dales, The Devonshire Arms Hotel has a luxurious spa featuring a sauna, steam room, swimming pool and whirlpool. A range of treatments and massages are available and the property also has outdoor tennis courts. Clay pigeon shooting, fly-fishing, and falconry displays are all possible within the Bolton Abbey Estate. The award-winning Burlington Restaurant offers a seasonal menu using the finest local produce. Guests can enjoy the ever-popular afternoon tea, and there is also a lounge bar. The Brasserie offers guests a more modern gastro-menu featuring some of Yorkshire's favourite dishes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Travelocity, Priceline and LateRooms so you can book your The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Devonshire Arms Country House Hotel And Spa
- The Devonshire Arms Country House Hotel Bolton Abbey
- Devonshire Arms Country Skipton
- Devonshire Arms Country Hotel
- The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa Bolton Abbey, Yorkshire