“retirement dinner - a special occasion” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Glenskirlie House and Castle

Glenskirlie House and Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Banknock B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“retirement dinner - a special occasion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

After a long indistinguished career in education I chose the Glenskirlie for my retirement dinner.With a long established reputation for quality and reliability I was confident that it would be the ideal venue for a special occasion. I was not disappointed.
From the outset I found the staff efficient and accomodating. They responded to arrangements and adjustments and did all they could to get it right on the night. They were warm and welcoming to every member of the company and generated a very special atmosphere of relaxed enjoyment to enhance this special occasion, with some very special touches! I suppose that's what they do every day - make someone's special day an occasion to remember.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Absolutly amazing venue, location, food and service. We got married here on the 15th september and honestly cant recommend it highly enough. The service was amazing, they catered from everything 18 month old tots, fussy teenagers (who was that impressed he took photos of his food) veggies and gulten free. They allowed us to change numbers until the day before nothing was to much trouble for them.

The rooms are simply stunning, each one is different. The honeymoon suites are out of this world, ideal for that special occasion.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Louise F
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

We got married in Glenskirlie House and the service we received was fantastic, not only on the day but also leading up to the wedding.

The organisation and the timing of everything on the day was perfect. The meal we got was excellent and in the evening we had a BBQ which was fantastic, the food was delicious and the way it was presented and served was beautiful.

The honeymoon suite which we stayed in was absolutely amazing! The rooms are so unique, we hope to return one day.

We cant think of one thing we would have changed about our day.

• Stayed August 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

This hotel and restaurant is a well kept local secret for fabulous and distinguished cuisine. If you are in central Scotland and are looking for a great eatery then look no further! From the moment you arrive you are looked after by the staff with pre dinner appetisers and a tour round the specials. The menu is not hugely extensive but has a decent range of excellent dishes. As an eating experience it is memorable, in particular the steaks are amazing. The dessert trolley is also worth mention and the desserts are works of art. God knows how they make any money as the prices are very reasonable. Highly recommended! Also a great location for weddings.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mark_the_weary
glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

I went there for a wedding, the room is gorgous every room is different. You also have a separate shower and bath stunning rooms. The only fault I would say is you have to be out the room for 10 am which is a bit early after been drinking at a wedding. Breakfast was great. It is a bit expensive we were charged £205 for one night, thAt was for 2 adults and a child with discount due to being part of the wedding party.

• Stayed August 2012
falkirk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

I attended my cousins wedding on saturday and it was absolutely fantastic, from the minute we entered we were welcomed with a glass of champagne and smiling staff. The canapes were the perfect start and the meal was the best ive ever had, the staff were attentive and never stopped filling my glass. The surroundings were first class and even the sun shone. unfortunately i didnt stay over night but got to see the bridal suite which is breathtaking

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
glasgow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

I have been enjoying meals and overnight stays at the Glenskirlie for the past few years now. I have never had cause to complain in the past. I feel the well-renowed reputation is diminishing and feel its not the staff or the quality thats at fault, in my opinion it seems to be the owners/managers for not employing enough staff!!

The venue is outstanding, so exquisite and stunning, the staff are so friendly and helpful, would do anything for you but have noticed over this year there are not as many of them as there used to be. I have bit my tongue but now feel something needs to be said, I am disappointed with this venue now and feel so bad for the staff who are clearly overworked & stressed. There only ever seems to be 1 girl at Reception now and at a weekend when they are fully booked she has to deal with full check-outs, phone ringing, other customers walking in off the street, other staff members asking for this and that and can only imagine the amount of paperwork she has to do (i work in a hotel myself and would never expect my staff to deal with that level of work on their own). The pressure and stress must be unbareably but yet she kept smiling, apologising for delays and being very attentive. To my horror when i had checked out after waiting for quite some time, I believe this gentleman was the owner interrupted her when she was clearly busy with a customer(me) to get her to check something!! Then he stood around the back of the reception and didn't even help answer phones or anything - i watched in sheer disgust, this went on for the full 25mins we sat waiting on a taxi. She deserved a medal for her professional manner!

As for the restaurant, I've dined a few times this year and again the food is high quality and I applaud the chefs - however the service was slow, staff were tired and rushed off their feet, clearly there should be more staff to maintain a good service for the amount of customers that were dining. They made a mistake with our order and we overheard other diners commenting on the standard of service. I did spot the manager at one point on her mobile phone whilst the staff were doing all the work at such a busy time. Too many mistakes and slow service each time we have been in and for the kind of money you are paying it's just not justified - surely the owner must realise he needs to employ the right amount of staff to maintain a good reputation! A lot of my friends go to Glenskirlie also as i recommended it, but sad to say their thoughts are the same as mine and we are all now going to start afresh and find somewhere else fantastic to go. I will gladly return when the service and standards improve.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank nibbles171
Also consider these accommodations in or near Banknock
Castlecary House Hotel
Castlecary House Hotel
#3 of 3 in Cumbernauld
The Westerwood Hotel & Golf Resort - A QHotel
Premier Inn Glasgow (Cumbernauld) Hotel
The Coachman Hotel & Restaurant
Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort
Cameron House on Loch Lomond

Been to Glenskirlie House and Castle? Share your experiences!