“Beautiful”

Glenskirlie House and Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Banknock B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I went there for a wedding, the room is gorgous every room is different. You also have a separate shower and bath stunning rooms. The only fault I would say is you have to be out the room for 10 am which is a bit early after been drinking at a wedding. Breakfast was great. It is a bit expensive we were charged £205 for one night, thAt was for 2 adults and a child with discount due to being part of the wedding party.

• Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I attended my cousins wedding on saturday and it was absolutely fantastic, from the minute we entered we were welcomed with a glass of champagne and smiling staff. The canapes were the perfect start and the meal was the best ive ever had, the staff were attentive and never stopped filling my glass. The surroundings were first class and even the sun shone. unfortunately i didnt stay over night but got to see the bridal suite which is breathtaking

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I have been enjoying meals and overnight stays at the Glenskirlie for the past few years now. I have never had cause to complain in the past. I feel the well-renowed reputation is diminishing and feel its not the staff or the quality thats at fault, in my opinion it seems to be the owners/managers for not employing enough staff!!

The venue is outstanding, so exquisite and stunning, the staff are so friendly and helpful, would do anything for you but have noticed over this year there are not as many of them as there used to be. I have bit my tongue but now feel something needs to be said, I am disappointed with this venue now and feel so bad for the staff who are clearly overworked & stressed. There only ever seems to be 1 girl at Reception now and at a weekend when they are fully booked she has to deal with full check-outs, phone ringing, other customers walking in off the street, other staff members asking for this and that and can only imagine the amount of paperwork she has to do (i work in a hotel myself and would never expect my staff to deal with that level of work on their own). The pressure and stress must be unbareably but yet she kept smiling, apologising for delays and being very attentive. To my horror when i had checked out after waiting for quite some time, I believe this gentleman was the owner interrupted her when she was clearly busy with a customer(me) to get her to check something!! Then he stood around the back of the reception and didn't even help answer phones or anything - i watched in sheer disgust, this went on for the full 25mins we sat waiting on a taxi. She deserved a medal for her professional manner!

As for the restaurant, I've dined a few times this year and again the food is high quality and I applaud the chefs - however the service was slow, staff were tired and rushed off their feet, clearly there should be more staff to maintain a good service for the amount of customers that were dining. They made a mistake with our order and we overheard other diners commenting on the standard of service. I did spot the manager at one point on her mobile phone whilst the staff were doing all the work at such a busy time. Too many mistakes and slow service each time we have been in and for the kind of money you are paying it's just not justified - surely the owner must realise he needs to employ the right amount of staff to maintain a good reputation! A lot of my friends go to Glenskirlie also as i recommended it, but sad to say their thoughts are the same as mine and we are all now going to start afresh and find somewhere else fantastic to go. I will gladly return when the service and standards improve.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank nibbles171
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My new husband and I got married here on the 27th July and I cannot thank the staff enough for everything that they did in the lead up and on the day of the wedding.

Anytime I phoned the reception (which was quite a lot between changes and questions) the staff could not have been any more helpful and reassuring, and always very pleasant and knowledgeable on the phone, which I really appreciated.

On the night before the wedding, myself and my parents and sister stayed the night and we had gorgeous rooms, very clean and very spacious, which was great as I had a HUGE dress to hang up! We had dinner in the grill and the food was amazing, service was excellent and if you ever go to the grill you need to get a burger- tremendous!

On return to our room we had a lovely Molten Brown gift bag on our bed with treats to help you relax, which the night before your wedding is exactly what you need. I thought this was a very lovely touch.

On the. Owning of the wedding, the staff were extremely accommodation in letting me move into the honeymoon suite early to start getting ready. I was brought a delis hours breakfast to the room, and thought the morning when myself and my 4 bridesmaids were getting ready, it was never any bother for the staff to bring us tea or water or an ice bucket and glasses for our champagne.

I cannot thank Julie enough for her fabulous coordination on the day where over 80 of our friends and family enjoyed a fantastic 4 course meal, fabulous wine and in the evening a fabulous night.
on return to our honeymoon suite after our evening reception, we had been left a complementary bottle of bubbly to enjoy in the huge jacuzzi bath, this was a lovely touch and very enjoyable after a busy day.
I suppose everyone thinks that there wedding day was special, but I truly believe that Daniel and myself could not have picked a better venue. Our guests have commented on how perfect the day was, how amazing the food was and how smoothly the day went. All of which would not have been possible without the care and attention that the staff at Glenskirlie gave us.

We would like to thank you all for making our day not only perfect, but making our wedding day fantastic! We felt absolutely spoiled!

Room Tip: If you can afford it splash out for the castle suite - gorgeous rooms and the jacuzzi bath is an exc...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Siobhan W
Reviewed August 1, 2012

The title says it all. Stayed here with my partner to celebrate a special occasion. From start to finish this place is amazing! The service as soon as you walk into reception is warm & welcoming and Vicki was great!! Rooms are stylishly decorated, perfect setting for romance and they are all different. Will be coming back another 14 times to try them all out.
Restaurant in my opinion is 6 star quality, food, service, staff all more than we could have ever expected, truly top quality!! Will have to invent a new celebration just to come back again and again, not enough birthdays in one year!!!

Room Tip: Any room would be fantastic in this hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2012

have dined here on a few occasions plus one wedding, feel the food is overpriced and my husband still felt hungry on leaving these changes have been recent other changes i noticed were when entering the coffee lounge tables had not been cleared after previous guests this never happened before we use cornhill house hotel in biggar often, where the surroundings are elegant and the food is half the price.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank casamaria123
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed at this hotel recently during a family wedding. Whilst the meal was ok it was not a patch on the menu tasting we attended some months before. The band and the singing waiter (nothing to do with the hotel) made the event very special. The air conditioning was not switched on during the meal although it did eventually start working -but I am sure it was switched off during the dance. The staff in the reception area were very friendly and helpful but it was a different story when we tried to check in to our rooms over in the castle. The cot we had ordered did not materialise with the surly receptionist not even apologising for their error. Eventually a cot was found. The rooms were pleasant enough but massively overpriced considering we did not get into the room till after midnight and were told to check out by 10 am the following morning. Breakfast was a huge disappointment - not made to order, poor choice of healthy options and virtually empty serving pans inspite of the early checkout. Staff were also quite brisk and unattentive - not bothering to check if more tea or coffee was needed. £185 for bed and breakfast was very poor value given the quality of breakfast. Also, we needed to to contact the reception a few times in the months leading upto the wedding - their computer system always seemed to be down and we would have to call back later! Also the lift was not working when we checked in and with no offer of help had to lug cases and pram up alsorts of stairs to different levels - not particularly accessible for many people. Overall we had a great day at the wedding but felt let down by surly service over in the 'castle'.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kevin000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Banknock
Castlecary House Hotel
9 mi away
Hotel Colessio
Hotel Colessio
#7 of 20 in Stirling

Been to Glenskirlie House and Castle? Share your experiences!