“Only OK”

Ranked #1 of 3 Baginton B&B and Inns
Sheffield, UK
“Only OK”
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Stayed over Saturday and Sunday night in early April. Was OK. Room 20, clean but dated. Shower over bath was pouring water out of the wall junction as much as out of the shower head. Very dark in bathroom. Wholly inadequate drinks supplies. We ate in the bar on the first night but the food was not really hot by the time it reached us and it did take its time. The outdoor heater kept turning itself off every five minutes so we had to keep getting up and turning it back on - we ate outside as there was no room inside, the reason for which is now a bit of a mystery. Finally, we were told when we checked in that breakfast was served 8 till 10. So imagine our surprise when we turned up at 09.10 for breakfast on Monday morning to be told they'd stopped serving. Only serving until 10 at a weekend....so why was this not made clear? Then they couldn't tell us where to get a breakfast from. Rubbish customer service. They did take the cost of the breakfast off the bill. Some work to do here I think. The old mill is looking and delivering OLD.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank drbell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night on 5th March 2014, one room for the wife and I and another room for my daughter. The on-line room booking included breakfast in the price.
On arrival in the car park my first impression was of 3-4 Eastern Europeans lounging around smoking and messing about outside. If guests then fair enough, but I got the impression they may have been staff staff which if that was the case, then not a good advert for the Hotel.
We got booked in quickly and efficiently and were offered a table booking in the restaurant which we accepted as it apparently gets quite busy as a normal Chef & Brewer eatery.
Our evening meal was average Chef & Brewer food so we didn't expect fine dining but as a previous reviewer has mentioned "Triple fried chips"were more like single fried,straight from freezer .................certainly not fresh cut potatoes as was advised by the waitress!
Service was good, prompt and friendly and the bar is very well stocked with some nice beers/lagers/cider.
The rooms were ground floor on a corridor which appeared to be a newish extension to the older main building. The rooms were large, comfortable and had quite well appointed en-suite bathrooms. Had to be careful sitting on the toilet as otherwise you burnt your leg on the VERY adjacent VERY hot radiator!. Only problem with the room was the noise in the corridor about 6am when the Eastern Europeans were crashing about and shouting to/at each other. Again, if they were guests then not much you can do but if staff it really needs sorting out.
Had a nice breakfast the next day and then checked out. I noticed that 3 breakfasts had been included on the bill which I queried and was told they list them just to show you had them??. As I did not have my booking paperwork on me I did not argue at that point but on checking later, it was clear they had charged 3 additional breakfast over and above the inclusive room rate. I wrote to the manager and have been in contact with Sophie several times now. Apparently the fact we paid for my daughters room on our room tab is the reason we were charged which |I don't really understand. Anyway, bottom line is that 3 weeks later I still do not have the refund in my account, Sophie tells me it was a problem with their bank which should have been sorted yesterday. I checked my account today and still no refund so looks like their head office will be my next call.
To summarise, The Old Mill is a lovely building with an average restaurant and some friendly and enthusiastic staff. It is a shame that what would otherwise have been a good review has been let down by the issues described. As I said at the start.....................check your bill carefully or you may end up getting overcharged.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank SIMON T
Hayes, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2014

From the minute we arrived we have a warm welcome from the lady on reception, the room was very comfortable and we had a lovely view from our window, the meal in the restaurant was also very nice and we had very good service.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank lesleys78
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We were greeted by a friendly reception staff who was lovely and even booked a table for us for dinner in the adjoined restaurant. The room was clean, spacious and warm with a lovely view of the river. The shower was fantastic and the bed was very comfortable. Breakfast in the morning was also very good.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2014

just returned from a nights stay, very friendly staff, lovely clean room, great view of the river, thoroughly enjoyed meal in restaurant, waitress very pleasant, brekky very tasty and freshly cooked.My hubby and myself stay in many hotels, we would def return. Only downfall mattress very hard, uncomfortable, maybe a topper would help. MR, MRS, FRANK

Room Tip: We had room 11, perfect view, great
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 750peterf
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The Old Mill, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear 750peterf

Thank you for providing us with your review.

I can confirm that I have passed on your kind comments to the management team and to the Area Manager of the Old Mill who would like to thank you for your positive feedback.

We hope to see you soon at the Old Mill.

Kind regards,

Chef & Brewer
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Decided to take my wife for a belated Valentines treat. As regular visitors we were not disappointed and had an excellent beef roast dinner (with giant pigs in blankets as an extra at only 79p who can resist) followed by delicious syrup sponge with roast walnuts & custard. We were in a very cosy and picturesque corner surrounded by old oak beams; very quaint and characterful. The river is in flood and quite a sight to behold. Planning to drop in on the Beer Festival which starts tomorrow - it looks great!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I have left reviewing this place a couple of weeks because I did not want to be over critical and not remain objective. Anyway here goes. We booked a lunch time table as we had a couple of people over from Europe for the day and this was a work thing, on arriving we where greeted by all the staff that came into contact with us which was a real positive and I remember thinking at the time, great reception ! well from that point onwards it just went downhill. Now not to say that all the interaction with the staff changed at all it was just that it seemed to be that the staff where just not up to delivering the service that was required, from having to call someone over to take a drinks order to then having to follow that order up and see what was taking so long, to the water glasses not being removed from the table which just cluttered the table up, to having the food orders seemingly take just too long to get to our table and unfortunately our guests having to wait for their meal whilst everyone else had received theirs (now that was embarrassing) to having to ask for the desert menu it just felt like our group was just not being valued as paying customers. Now I do recognise that this was a lunchtime meal and the place did look busy but you know what...I don't see why as a paying customer I should have to make allowances for this. The food itself was presented really well and overall everyone seemed to enjoy the food once they received it. Given everything I will not be taking anyone else here and will choose another place to entertain my guests.

Room Tip: To save time oreder at the bar and carry your drinks to the table.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The Old Mill, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear onetrubrit

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Old Mill in regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Chef & Brewer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baginton
Village Hotel Coventry
Coombe Abbey Hotel
Coombe Abbey Hotel
#3 of 39 in Coventry
Premier Inn Coventry City Centre (Earlsdon Park) Hotel

Been to The Old Mill? Share your experiences!