“60th party & Hotel Room & Sunday Carvery”

The Atherstone Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Atherstone
Englad
“60th party & Hotel Room & Sunday Carvery”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I started to organize a suprise birthday party for my mum about 6mths ago,the party was held on Sat 16th March 2013 in The long Room,We had 50 guests which was just right for the size of the room,we had the Red Lion do the buffet which was perfect,we also had the disco which was recomended by them the disco was fantastic,We also had a hotel room for the night for my mum the room was beautiful which included breakfast my mum said it was faultless,On the Sunday we had Sunday Carvery which again was perfect,I must stress theManager & staff was brillant the help they gave me for the whole weekend was brillant,I wanted for nothing I could have said jump and they would have jumped. Thumbs up to the The Red Lion.

Room Tip: We had the first room on the first floor it was quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank nicolae34

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Larnaka City, Cyprus
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Shared a room with my friend and at first look it appeared pretty good.
After a few drinks at the Lion which I really enjoyed, I returned to the room for sleep and this is when the problems started.
We were awoken by a vacuum cleaner at around 6.00 am and that was to early and then we both started searching for the tea and coffee, there was no tea making facilities at all!
I went for a shower and lying on the soap tray was a crooked hair, yuk.
I would recommend for a drink easily and if they put those minor discrepancies right it may have ticked all the right box's.
Communication ends.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank doogy121
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel due to attending a wedding nearby.
Following check in we were shown to our room in a separate part of the hotel and had to go outside onto the high street, then up three flights of stairs to our room, not the best of starts.
The room was freezing when we arrived so turned on the small heater in the room which after a couple of hours started to warm it. Room was basic but everything we needed for one night.
Returning to our room later that evening I was concerned to hear a barking dog coming from the room next door. The dog barked most of the night on and off and was allowed to run around on the landing which woke us up on several occasions. Never heard of a dog in a high street hotel but the receptionist did not seem fazed by it on check out and just said they should keep them quiet if they have dogs in their rooms.
The extractor fan in the bathroom was stupidly loud and came on every time you put the light on and stayed on for a good 5 minutes.
The room in general was really loud, made it very difficult to sleep and we were less than impressed with the hotel.
Wouldn't return in a hurry!!!!

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Kelz1985
Atherstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The Red Lion management invited our party of 12 back for a complimentary night following a truly awful experience in November (Friend's 50th). At the time we left poor feedback and so felt very reluctant to go back but thought we would give it a go. So pleased we did. What a massive improvement on last time. From the moment we entered the building we were made to feel very welcome and nothing seemed too much trouble for the staff that were attending us. At the bar they allowed me to taste the wines before making my selection. I thought I would play it safe with the menu this time and ordered pate followed by steak. The pate was lovely and smooth and my steak was perfectly cooked (medium rare). Also ordered a pink peppercorn sauce which was nice. No grease in sight, so far so good. I was also impressed by the amuse-bouche of whitebait which we hadn't been offered before. Pudding was the only let down. I ordered creme brule and unfortunately it was stone cold, far too solid and unpleasant to taste but this still did not detract from the lovely night. Coffee should not have been served until the end of the meal but this was no disaster. Based on this trip I would go back and I would recommend it. Thank you to all the staff for making our night a relaxed and enjoyable dining experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sarah D
Warwickshire
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Having shared my previous rather appalling experience of this hotel they contacted me and offered us a complimentary night at the hotel. I have to say that I was very impressed by the fact that they had contacted me and were extremely apologetic. I was then very impressed by our night at the hotel. We attended a tribute night. The food, service and room can only be described as excellent, especially the room which had a luxurious feel to it and was very clean. Unfortunately, the service at breakfast was a bit of a let own after the previous night! On the basis of the effort they'd made to put things right, we have used the restaurant on several occasions since and it has been consistently good so hopefully they've got it right at last!

Room Tip: We were in the main hotel and the room was lovely though it would have been noisy if we hadn't b...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
warwickshire
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I have been going to this hotel for many years,would give it a total miss but i like the fire in the bar are which is lovely and warm on a cold winters day, otherwise i think everything else is to hit and miss, they charge hotel prices and give sub standard food and drink, On my last visit i had the cream tea, by the time i had spread jam and cream on my scone it was going hard as a brick. There was about 6 people in the whole place and my table was dirty, i asked the girl behind the bar if she had a cloth so I could wipe the table, she had a rake around and gave me a totally dry cloth, and i think this sums the whole place up the bar and kitchen staff have no caring for their customers. I know who owns this place and its time he put strong management in who can shake the whole place up, and teach his staff how to clean tables, cook a decent meal, pull a decent pint of beer and generally make the customer feel they are important to this establishment. As another review mentioned it should all be so much better, its a nice building, and with a decent responsible head chef and manager, it could be something to be proud of, I have never stayed at the hotel so cannot comment on this side of the business. cmon Red Lion get your act together.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank liznuneaton

Travelers are raving about these Atherstone hotels

Manchester Area
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed here load of times, generally a good clean hotel...but was a cold January night and on his occassion the ground floor room next to the rear entrance was cold despite the radiator being hot !

On previous 20 odd occassions, never had a problem.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Extensive-Traveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atherstone
Chapel House Restaurant with Rooms
Bosworth Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Market Bosworth
3.0 of 5 bubbles 4,112 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Tamworth

Been to The Atherstone Red Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!