“Never again..”

The Atherstone Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Atherstone
“Never again..”
Reviewed May 18, 2012

The ignorance at reception was disgusting.manners doesn't cost anything,and as it was our first time away wit our kids we were hoping we would receive a kind welcome into our nearest country...2\10

• Stayed May 2012
4 Thank Stevend1210

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Ireland
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Not impressed with this hotel was extremely let down by the rudeness of staff, we arrived late and did not recieve a friendly welcome. There was no heating in the room and it took 3 hrs to get sorted it felt like the heating wasn't ever turned on, I asked what would happen if it couldn't be fixed I was told "well we don't have another room to accommodate you" when this hotel was the only one with room for all 5 of us I then asked is there any heaters we could use and I was told "No we don't have any" I felt like if the heating wasn't fixed we either were to stick through the cold or be turfed out!!! Tea making faculties were hidden in a drawer and not explained to us at check in, The hotels guide was rubbish scrumpled up and stuck in not one bit of useful information about the area, hotel or anything!! Dust & Cob webs were not cleaned I am not happy about this experience. Over all I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and I fell that I was robbed for my money staff could of being polite to say the least!!

Room Tip: don't!!!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Caroline742

Travelers are raving about these Atherstone hotels

Coventry
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Completely agree with the lady's review of 21st Jan. On a good point I must say the food is still great. Had the 3 course Sunday lunch and it was delicious! Used to dine here alot whilst out shopping, but will give it a wide berth for now.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank charliebrown4309
United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2012

My husband and I have just returned home after an overnight "Murder Mystery" evening in the Red Lion. The lady at reception when we booked in offered a very friendly welcome and check-in was effortless.

The entertainment was excellent and the evening meal was absolutely fine. The waiting staff were efficient and helpful. The room, although very small was spotlessly clean - very comfy bed! we had a bit of difficulty with the safe in the room and the duty manager visited immediately to resolve the issue.

The Full English breakfast was lovey and the waitress was very efficient and polite.

We are looking forward to booking another Tribute Night some time in the future.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Molly1107
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Second time we have stopped here on business. Good value clean accommodation in the recently refurbished annex nice reception staff both checking in and leaving.we dined from the bar/lounge menu and found it most acceptable and good value and the girl on the bar taking orders on Tuesday night was friendly and efficient.
Two things let it down however one silly thing Why leave the pottery manufacturers 'passed' sticker on the sink and pedestal in the en suite bathroom ? It just looks sloppy.
More than that though please sort out the waiting staff at breakfast ! The food was plentiful and well cooked but having to clear dirty dishes off the table while the waitress looked blankly on come on please ! She even served my food over these and still left them! The orange juice was never replenished and the only plates cleared belonged to another diner who had nipped out to take a call and was obviously not finished.
Such basic things spoil what is a decent place to stay.
We will be back soon and I hope this friendly and constructive criticism does not fall on deaf ears.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank John-the-admiral
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Having shared some wonderful family meals, lunches with friends, and a wedding and christening here, i was dissapointed on my last visit and i think i will have to give it a wide birth until they have a new manager.

I stopped for a bite to eat with my mum and daughter, and ordered at the bar, we ordered simple fayre, a toasted sandwhich for me, a jacket potato for my mum and a pizza for my daughter, they recently moved their seperate italian restaurant into the hotel so i had presumed the pizza on the kids menu would be, well a pizza...

simple? i wish, it had been, my toastie arrived with tomatoes even though i had asked for without, i debated picking them out but decided i wanted what i had asked for so returned it to the bar, the girl asked me what i wanted to do about it, just do me a new sandwhich please? my sandwhich was returned cold, and i am not kidding they had sliced the side open and take out the toastie.

i was furious, by now my mum had finished her tiny potatoe and my daughter was not even interested in her pizza on a peice of bread??????????

i asked for a refund, and they just handed it over, no aplogy, the waiter who had served me apologised un reservedly i said i appreciated his gesture but would like to speak to his manager who was trying to sly off having watched me complaining without a raised voice but with honesty, how can a hotel pick out tomatoes of a toasted sandwhich and think its okay?

the manager didnt want to talk to us, i litrally had to run in walk in front of him as he behaved like he couldnt see us. he apologised in a flat tone and didnt seem bothered at all.

a REAL pity, this place was doing a fine service and now its sadly become a place local drunks hang about - chatting to paying customers and asking if they can finish your left overs, a real feeling of the victorian days, which with such an historic building leaves you with a feeling of sadness, it could be soo much more!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank HONESTEYISMYPOLICY
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We didn't stay in the hotel but ate with family and friends! The food was absolutely terrible and deffinately not worth the money! The waitress plonked the food down without asking if we wanted condiments and never even gave us cutlery! Most of the food was cold and the chunky chips advertised on the menu only came with 2dishes and were replaced with frozen fries on the others! The whole pub is a bit grubby and the toilets are filthy and stink! As local people who go there regularly we have always found the food hit and miss but this time was the worst and many other people were complaining too! Would deffinately advise anyone to avoid eating there!

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank Amyj123_123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atherstone
Chapel House Restaurant with Rooms
Bosworth Hall Hotel & Spa
Bosworth Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Market Bosworth
Holiday Inn Express Tamworth

Been to The Atherstone Red Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!