“Gone Downhill FAST!”
Review of Abercrave Inn - CLOSED

Abercrave Inn
Cuisines: European, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Description: Country Inn and Restaurant with 11 Rooms all En- Suite and Free Wifi
Uckfield, United Kingdom
“Gone Downhill FAST!”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

The Abercrave Inn used to be my favourite place to stay at and to eat at in South Wales. I used to go there every year for my birthday. However when I visited last week on Monday 14-7-14 I was so appalled with The Abercrave Inn! Firstly my Fiance and I had to wait 25-30 minutes to be served when there were only 5 other tables in the bar area. We kept being served for drinks but not food and when we asked we got told that the server wouldn't be too much longer. After we ordered we then waited a further hour to get our meals out. The food was average. The meat I cannot fault, but everything else from the garlic crush potatoes, the soggy veg and the obviously frozen garlic bread was completely awful! We didn't stay for pudding as they had decided to get rid of the desert tray which presented thepreviously home baked desserts, so we assumed that the deserts would be store bought and for the price it really wasn't worth it. Apart from the bad service and the frozen veg etc, my partner and I thought the meat was lovely and very well cookec so we left a small tip as it wasn't completely terrible. Now because we left a small tip, the owners were round the server like flies round s**t and couldn't even be bothered to say goodbye to us even though we called out to say goodbye. Bring back the previous manager Rhydian is all I can say, he knew how to treat his customers! I will not be returning to The Abercrave Inn and it pains me to say that.

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank Kate H

London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here while on a work trip in wales. Initially when I arrived I was a bit dubious but WOW. I cannot speak highly enough of this place. Excellent value. Excellent helpful staff they cannot do enough to help. . Food is out of this world.
And the setting. What an amazing place. Peaceful and a good night sleep before a busy few days at work.
My only regret is that I have to get up at for work at 5 am and will miss what I am sure is a fantastic breakfast.
The music in the bar is relaxing and the locals at the counter were helpful with information and good for a chat.

Honestly. Pay it a visit. You will love it.

• Visited July 2014
Ystradgynlais, Wales, United Kingdom
“Would not return, awful Sunday lunch”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I visited the abercrave Inn for Sunday lunch today it was pretty quiet when I arrived, it took 25 mins to take our order and another 60 minutes to bring out our food. It's a Sunday surely all of the veg and meat are already prepared. The food was awful, 8 slices of carrots were brought out to a table of 4, I asked for more..... They took 15 mins to arrive, we had already finished our dinner. The food was tasteless, meat tasted like the meat you used to have for school dinners and the gravy was like water and the Yorkshire puddings were burnt. We did order 2 courses but we soon changed our minds, we couldn't wait to leave. Would never return!!!!

3 Thank jowalesuk1984
Swansea
“Good but a little expensive”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

This used to be a very popular pub many years ago. We called in without making a reservation and were surprised how quiet it was.
It was nicely decorated and the staff were friendly. We did have problems parking and ended up parking on the road outside. I assumed the cars in the little car park must have been staff.
There were only 4 other customers inside. A couple just finishing their meals and 2 ladies waiting for their food to arrvie.
We ordered the chicken a la king and the crusty cheesy cod bake with new and champ potatoes. They both came with a nice selection of vegetables, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage and carrots.
Although there were hardly any customers after 15mins the meals arrived for the 2 ladies.
Our order arrived another 10 mins later. The food was delicious but at £25+ for 2 mains without drinks I think they are over pricing. To be fair there was a small lunchtime special menu we could have chosen something else from. Also I think waiting almost half an hour when the pub was basically empty is unacceptable.
When I asked for the bill, the power had gone down and they couldn't get the card reader to work to use my debit card. I then offered to pay by cash but they couldn't open the cash register. I gave the correct money and the system came back as we were leaving.
At around 2pm there was no one else there apart from a large number of staff.
Lovely food but not if you are in a rush.

• Visited June 2014
swansea
“Lovely sunday lunch”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We enjoyed a lovely Sunday lunch. Very impressed with extensive menu choice. Guests can chose from traditional Sunday lunch or steak and chips, pies, and homemade country pub style choices. Desserts and main meals,were of a very good quality, and we were pleased with the portion sizes. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the setting was very relaxed. Prices are very reasonable.

• Visited June 2014