The Sportsman's Inn
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Cowgill
See available hotels
Thorns Hall(Sedbergh)
Stone House Hotel(Hawes)
Golden Lion Hotel(Horton-in-Ribblesdale)
  • Restaurant
Hipping Hall(Kirkby Lonsdale)
  • Breakfast included
The Whoop Hall(Kirkby Lonsdale)
  • Pool
Yorebridge House(Bainbridge)
View Hotel
All reviewsprivate bathroomb bstayed one nightproper pubmemorable staysmall roomperfect locationreceived a warm welcomecharacter pubbe visiting againmain coursecomfortable bedsgood sizewhilst walking the dales wayriver deedentron
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night recently, beautifull setting, very comfortable room with lovely views, good food and service, very friendly landlord and landlady, would deffinately visit again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Having decided to take the Settle to Carlisle Railway to Dent, we descended the steep hill to the inn about a mile away. Incidentally there are no signs indicating its location. I had previously contacted the inn to find out whether it was open on a Monday and serving lunches. The answer had been in the affirmative and I was told that there was no need to book.
Imagine our surprise and annoyance when we eventually got to the pub and were asked what we wanted and were informed that the place was closed and we could not expect any service that day. The attitude displayed was quite negative and there was no hint of an apology.
Consequently we were faced with a long walk back up the hill and a two hour wait for the train. We eventually managed to get something to eat at 4 o'clock in Settle.
A prospective pleasant day had been ruined by inefficiency and discourtesy.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Les F
Prickly13, Owner at The Sportsman's Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Puzzled by this review.
This is a family run business that doesn't employ any staff so any enquiries are taken by one of two people (the owners).
The Sportsman's does not open on a Monday lunchtime and hasn't done so for 10 years or more (I must add that we are open on Bank holiday Monday lunchtimes).
To make matters more puzzling we have allocated the time we are closed to visiting a member of our immediate family who has sufferred a serious stroke. This we have been doing for the past 2 years.
The reviewer specifically states that he was informed (to the affirmative) that we were serving meals on a Monday lunchtime? There has to be some misunderstanding as we would not intentionaly state that we were open when we were obviously not.
I have no idea how this came to be and neither my wife or myself can recall the telephone conversation.
This is clearly a genuine mistake on someones part, could be the reviewer could be ours. We will never know. Those who never make a mistake, never do anything!
I sympathise with those concerned and are genuinely sorry that things didn't go as planned.
As a gesture of good faith, If the reviewer wishes to contact me via email I would be happy to serve him lunch at my expense. (Not on a Monday)

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

When walking this part of the Dalesway there is relatively little choice of accommodation. This place is in a great location and should be excellent.

The huge let down is the grumpy Landlord and Landlady. Initially we thought it was just us that were unwelcome however we met the other guests the following day and everyone got the same treatment. At times it was simply unhelpful and other times it was pure rudeness.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank ChrisHesky
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on our 4th day of dales way walk. The location is stunning and overlooks a little river and glorious countryside.
The room was really nice and looks recently renovated. We had room one and it had lovely views and u could hear the river flowing.
The bathroom was seperate but private, again very fresh and new. The pub opened at 7 and we had lovely dinners at great price (try the steak and ale pie). Lovely pints too! Lovely family business, all good characters. We will be back!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed one night while doing the Dalesway walk. Old traditional pub run by a lovely, friendly couple (who must have been away on holiday when the chap with the part of 20 visited!) - fabulous home cooked food - had we been driving home next day instead of walking I would have brought some back with me! Comfy room - immaculate bathroom for our exclusive use just across the hall. Only negative I have is that the bathroom wasn't heated.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple