“Art Friendly House”

ChARTs Resort and Art-Cafe
Ranked #34 of 50 Hotels in Panglao Island
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I find the place homey! The staff are very welcoming...smiles are automatically given to you even if you're just inquiring. They have provided us complimentary drinks...such a welcome treat from traveling from the sea port to the hotel. It's a 5 minute walk away from the beach but would have been magical if it was located by the seashore - we could have watched the sunrise and sunset on bed. We stayed at their suite room which is quite a catch - spacious, with bathtub, with private terrace. The hot shower does not work..bummer - so can't enjoy the bathtub that much. The bidet does not work that well too. Customer service at their best - they made sure that we are comfortable even after check in hours. I would love to stay at this place again...

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Pros:
- Very friendly staff. They really went out of their way to accommodate our needs. They extended our check out time and they let us borrow their towel (we brought it to the beach) after checking out from the hotel. They even let us use their shower after the check out time.
- They gave us a 10% discount.
- It's beside the main road, yet it feels secluded. I love the feeling of privacy.
- Their suite room is spacious, and you get to have your very own private penthouse terrace.

Cons:
- 5-minute walk from the shoreline. It's not that far, but you can't catch Panglao's glorious sunrise if you wake up late.
- WiFi is very weak. We couldn't work during our entire stay. WiFi can't even reach the private terrace.
- The heater doesn't work.
- The bathtub needs to be fixed (not really a deal-breaker; you can just go the pool instead).
- The bidet needs to be fixed.
- The rooms don't have phones, so you can't call room service.

Room Tip: WiFi is weak. You need to bring your laptop or phone to the pool. They charge an additional 4% for p...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We spent three nights here in February 2014. Overall, its a nice, small resort, with very friendly & professional staff, well maintained grounds, and clean rooms. The AC worked well. Wifi was a bit weak from inside our room, but worked fine on the porch just outside. The pool was kept clean. The included breakfast was quite nice, freshly prepared to order each morning, with a buffet like spread of bread & fruit in addition to the main course. They also took care of booking tours, and ferry/airport transfers (drivers were not resort staff, but were quite professional, courteous & prompt). Note that the resort isn't on Alona Beach, but rather a 15 minute walk away. There are numerous dining options in the area, all within walking distance.

I should note that their were non-trivial issues with booking the reservation months in advance. While I thought the reservation had gone through successfully (they even confirmed it), a month prior to my arrival, they emailed me insisting that the rate that I booked was in error, and they demanded that I agree to a higher rate. Needless to say, I was not pleased, and noted that the very same rate that they claimed was erroneous was still listed on their website. I demanded that they honor what was advertised. The owner then emailed me with a long drawn out explanation of how the rate on their website was a mistake, and offered me a special (higher) rate, which was supposedly discounted off the actual rate. As it was now just a month before my arrival, I knew that the odds of finding a vacancy elsewhere were low, so I was forced to accept the offer. This still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, as they should have swallowed the loss as the cost of doing business, rather than extorting more money from me due to their own mistakes. I likely would have given them a full 5 star review had it not been for this nonsense.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Unique find in Alona Beach. A 5-10 minute walk to the water on a busy street. Art by local artists - for sale - abounds in the hotel, which adds a nice touch. Nothing extravagant but good value for the money. Simple breakfast included in the room rate. Be aware that the noise from motorcycles on the street can be a bit disturbing. Staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Rhonda G
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We stayed at ChArts just after the catastrophies - earthquake and typhoon- we were the only guests. We were cherished and pampered by the staff, we had fantastic breakfasts in the morning
prepared by beautiful Lorena, our room was very clean and quiet, nice bathrooms. Miss Sonja -the german owner- is a passionate art-dealer, you can buy local works of art at her place. She's also very active in the programme for the re-building of the distroyed areas in Bohol, so leave her some money, offer children toys, she knows where to deliver your gifts, she's a great lady and a very appreciated member of the local community.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank blixenfrance
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Last February i had a wonderful stay for about 10 Days at this Resort. It`s a really beautiful place to unwind and relax. Rooms are very clean and comes in a special flair. The breakfast choice and coffee is just fabulous. The beach is just a short 5 min walk away and I'm pretty sure all of you can manage a 5 min walk a day on your holidays. All is well organized by German manager with very friendly and always smiling Filippino staff. The owner Sonja also offers Island-Tours "off the beaten tracks" and shows you a lot of local things and the Chocolate Hills away from the crowd.

I will definitely turn back to this place this December...

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Adrian B
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We staid at chARts resort for one night upon our arrival at Panglao beach. The room was spacious enough, the pool was well-placed and it was great to have dark (German) bread in the morning. Our main disappointment was the impression that the 'our pick' recommendation in the Lonely Planet seems have pushed prices up to the point where they were high for the space and quality offered when compared to neighbouring resorts. I'd recommend checking into another hotel and coming here for the coffee and the bakery!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple