“Overvalued”

ChARTs Resort and Art-Cafe
Ranked #33 of 50 Hotels in Panglao Island
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The rooms are nice in a mediteran style.
The food is OK but also nothing spical and for this too expencive.
THe service is friendly but a little bit slow.
The problem I figure out here is the noise level because the rooms are near the street and you can hear at night or in the morging all motorbikes, cars,... passing the hotel...

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ma4La

Reviewed February 3, 2013

A good stay at ChARTs. We took a deluxe room for 3 nights, and it comes with a terrace leading to pool.

Room was a good size, and clean, although we did come across 1 cockroach in the toilet. Another nice upgrade for the hotel to consider is putting in a newer/larger TV as it's currently a tiny CRT. The rooms are very quiet, even when adjacent rooms are occupied.

Commendable breakfast with choice of western, local, savory or sweet.

Main reason why i did not give more stars is the lack of service. The staff were nice and polite, but when asked for assitance, at best it was lukewarm and mostly absent. Still, we figured things out by ourselves easily enough.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WinKz
Reviewed January 16, 2013

This "resort" is very pretty and nicely laid out. We organised airport transfer through the airport, but the driver was almost an hour late. When we got there they gave us a welcome drink and we sat in the bar area and waited. During the whole trip I never saw anyone working at the bar. It was also incredibly dusty. Our room was nice and very pretty, however the bed was really uncomfortable. The wifi was really weak. This resort is also an "Eco" place, so the sheets and towels only get changed every 3 days. Didn't mind, but in the humidity they never dried properly. Laundry was also pretty expensive. The smell when taking a shower was terrible and smelled like sewage. The breakfast was good. You had 3 meal choices. The cafe really didn't serve much food either. It took about 10 mins to walk to the beach. Enjoyed the swimming pool. The little balcony area was also very nice and enjoyed relaxing there at night. This could be a great place to stay with some adjustments.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lillilol
Reviewed December 9, 2012

If you are looking for something different for something where you feel taking care of or for something familiar like at home but with tropical flair than check out and try it. this resort is for me the best place to stay and my favourite for sure are the suites and now the studio as well. i ve been here now over 5 times and always come back to charts resort. and by the way there is no other place where you can find better coffee than at art cafe even hot ginger became now my favourite too.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This wonderfully operated hotel has a helpful/friendly staff, well maintained grounds and rooms, and we would stay here again if in the area. We stayed in their Suite for a few nights and a standard as well. The Suite is perfect if you want more space and your private balcony.
Breakfast was superb, the staff attentive and the coffee was good! (2 coffees with breakfast!) definitely try the home made toast and jam.
Only minor drawback is the 5-10 min walk to beach on somewhat busy road.
You'll definitely feel welcome and that they appreciate your business.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank carlos4040
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I stayed at Charts with some of my friends a few months ago and I was so disappointed with the experience. I am really not fussy but I had to write a review as I was not happy with my stay there.

Firstly the positives. It is very pretty, clean and nicely laid out. The pool is very small but refreshing after a day in the sea and the breakfast is okay.

The not so great parts.

It is quite a long, hot walk to the beach. The service was really poor. By 5-6pm everything is shut. Like you cannot order food, you cannot order drinks or even buy a bottle of water after 6pm. So you have to go out of Charts and find somewhere else to get served which is a real hassle if you just want to chill out without having to go out every night. Even in the day time the bar area is never manned and there are very few staff around to help you.

On my last day in Charts I had just gotten back from the beach and was packing up my things to check out when I realised that money had been taken out of my purse while I had been out. It had defiantly been taken! So I went straight to the manager and informed her. They told me that although the cleaners had been in my room while I was out they were 100% sure I was mistaken as they had never had an incident of theft in their hotel before. The manager was really rude to me and basically accused me of lying! It was only 20 pounds that was taken and I didn't think that they would get it back for me but I did want to be taken seriously and the incident should have been properly investigated as clearly one of their cleaners had taken the money. The manager seemed to think that I was lying about the money to get a discount off of my room bill. It was so amazingly insulting!! The way it was handled was a total nightmare. I have never had an experience like it before. I left all my contact information for the owner (who would not come out and talk to me) and asked if they could get in touch we me so I could speak to someone else about the incident and the way it was handled but of course no one ever did contact me.

I hate confrontation and would never had made a complaint unless I was 100% sure that I had been robbed so to be treated in such a way was really upsetting.

If you do stay at Charts then make sure you always always bring any cash or valuables with you when you go out as there are not safes in the rooms. The staff there really need training in customer care!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank em_todd
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Last day after a month travelling in the Philippines! An advantage of being there in the low seasoon is to have the pool for your self! Great time at the pool, lovely! Very friendly staff
It's only an 5 minutes walk to the sea!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple