“Ecotourism on friendly Bohol”

ChARTs Resort and Art-Cafe
Ranked #33 of 49 Hotels in Panglao Island
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We stayed at Charts Resort and Art Cafe on Panglao Island, Bohol. The friendly staff and relaxing grounds made for a great weekend escape. We had comfortable rooms, good breakfasts and excellent tour suggestions. We really enjoyed visiting the Tarsier Sanctuary in Corella, a half hour away from Tagbilaran. It gives tourists a chance to observe these remarkable primates in their natural habitat. They have 10 tarsiers in an enclosure next to the visitor's center and the guide can find most of them on your tour. The PI Tarsier Foundation successfully breeds tarsiers here and releases them into their adjacent 167 hectare reserve. I highly recommend this tour. We will return to Charts Resort and the Tarsier Sanctuary next time we visit Bohol. It's a lovely island paradise!

Room Tip: All the rooms are located on the side away from the road and face the swimming pool.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank pat2121

Reviewed August 25, 2011

Myself, my partner and family stayed here for 10 days in August.
ChARTs is such a lovely hotel and we thoroughly enjoyed every minute of our stay here.

From the very first email I sent to them waving us goodbye we received nothing but the highest standard of service from Sonja and her excellent team.

Location... ChARTs is perfectly located about a 10 minute walk from the beach. We had considered staying at the beach but glad we didn't as we found it to be a lot quieter and more peaceful Yes it is by the 'main' road, but really we were never disturbed by the noise.

Rooms...we stayed in a standard double room which was on the ground floor right by the pool. It was very well set out and had everything you could need for a holiday. The air conditioner was great and quiet, the bathroom was very good and the shower excellent.
Our family stayed in a suite with 3 people. It was a good size and they loved the layout. The sun terrace on the roof was very private and great for drying dive gear!

Grounds..The grounds are beautiful and well thought out, the pool, although small, is fantastic and all in all a great place to relax.

Bar and cafe...we used these both at lunchtime after diving and in the evening for a pre dinner drink before wandering off for a meal. The beers are very cold and the Capirihini's wonderful. The bar is very peaceful, the music nicely suited unlike in many other Ph resorts.

Food...The free breakfast is brilliant and always tasty and freshly prepared. They started a new system where it was mostly buffet while we were there and this was great if you are trying to get out in a hurry for diving.

The spa is lovely and we enjoyed many treatments there. the prices are really reasonable too.
The staff are great and always happy to help.
Sonja organised a tour of Bohol in a private car which cost 4000php for 5 people which we thought was excellent value and a really good day out.
The dive centre recommended by the hotel was also great.

We especially appreciated the work they are doing to help the environment such as refilling drinking water bottles for a reasonable price, not changing bed linen and towels everyday and turning air conditioners, lights etc off to save electricity. Something which other guests have negatively commented on.

We had a wonderful time and would not hesitate to recommend ChARTs to anyone. We will visit Bohol again and will stay at ChARTs when we do.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank jsteele
Reviewed May 23, 2011

The best thing about Charts resort was the trip which was organized by the German owner . We got nice pictures and deeper insights about the Philippines.

Take a good look at many of the Tripadvisor’s reviews for example “ddlp” from London or “def555xweezerx” or from Frankfurt, “swiecz” from Manila or many others saying only positive things about Charts (make your own conclusion if these are real hotel customers if you take good look at their contributions or is it possible that it is hotel management making own “reviews”?... I especially want to draw attention to Chart’s wonderful ( !) breakfast , “highlight of the day”. Let me tell you about the breakfast, which we thought was miserable. Only positive thing about the breakfast was the coffee, which was really good. The other drink beside coffee or tea was water (which wasn’t even cold). The first morning we asked for juice and got one, too. And so was the next morning, too. It was only the second day when I signed our room bill and I understood that the juice was 100 pesos per glass. So was cheese, which was also partly moulded. So there were many other items like yogurt, musli, croissants available on the breakfast menu, too, but only for extra cost. For example juice, it is not much, but we were staying there almost 2 weeks so together those would have made much and especially you expect certain things to be found on the breakfast menu. What was included in the breakfast apart from the drinks were bread (toaster was available), butter, marmalade, two kinds of fruits and choice from the menu (2 fried eggs or scrambled eggs or pancakes OR choice of Filipino breakfast). Some mornings there were croissants to be sold for 35 or 45 pesos per piece, and I guess when they were not sold they were given away for free 3 days later. When there were not enough customers the breakfast was even reduced and you chose from the list: You had to choose between CUP of coffee OR tea OR GLASS of water, I went for the breakfast myself (my husband gave up this fooliness already) and was given 2 pc of bread. No fruits available. Then there was to choose between 2 eggs or scrambled eggs or pancakes or fruitsalad or Filipino breakfast. I came back to room by staying hungry. Even this wasn’t enough, one morning I came to breakfast and was told that breakfast was finish. I managed to get some bread and coffee, but no eggs and fruits (there was fruit shop just 5 meters away from the hotel…) and they didn’t compensate this anyhow by offering at least some cheese or juice for free.

We stayed in both room types in Suite (76 Euro/night) and Standard (56 Euro/night), but got 10 % discount by staying almost two weeks. Suite Room is nice with own terrace, but it got only one sun lounger, so the one of us had the lie on the floor sunbathing. In both room types the sheets and towels are changed only every three days “for environmental reasons”. However, by paying money, you get both sheets and towels changed more often, so forget about the environment! The Standard room was really small, also television in a room was so tiny you could not watch it lieing on the bed.

What really bothered us in this resort was that there were so many house rules in this resort that sometimes you felt unsure what were the things that ARE prohibited to do! For example I am almost 35 years old, but in the resort it was prohibited to bring any hard liquor to hotel room, however by paying 500 pesos this was allowed. Pool towels were only to be used by the pool, so you must buy or bring your own towels if you want towels for the beach. Hair dryer is not included in the room amenities, so you have to pay the deposit of 500 pesos for it and the pool towels, which again we found very weird. Rules go on, uncooked food is not allowed in the hotel rooms unless you again pay 500 pesos fee. Still there is a rule that guests are responsible for their actions in the hotel property and if something will break etc. you will have to compensate. Also it was not prohibited to do big pieces of laundry (I don’t know which was the right size to do laundry).

In the Suite room there is your own bath, and hotel also provided bottle of shampoo. My husband used the house shampoo as bath foam within the first 3 days, and we were left waiting for the refill. Days went by and no refill came and on the 10th day I had to go to reception and say that we haven’t got a single refill. I guess the shampoo was meant to be for the whole stay, and we were not given refills not until I went to reception and asked for it and got half a bottle.

Also there were little things in the hotel , that didn’t work as they should. For example one morning there was quite a big animal poo on our roof terrace. On the way to breakfast I asked the reception that could housekeeping clean the mess from the terrace. Well, during the day housekeeping has been to our room, but nobody cleaned our terrace. So, I have to walk to reception again and tell again. And this is not one example when you have to tell them many times, because things are not done.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Tiia1976
Reviewed May 4, 2011

ChARTs is owned by a German lady so it’s run with precision and is spotlessly clean, but it also has a lovely tropical vibe with natural building materials and arty touches. This, combined with the fact that its small and personal (only 10 rooms) suited my tastes perfectly.

I stayed in a twin room, which was basic but comfortable enough with a nice bathroom. The rooms each have their own balcony for relaxing and all look onto the pristine garden and pool area.

Breakfasts at the attached café were very tasty – there is a choice of English/Continental/Filipino and the coffee was the best I had in the Philippines. The café is convenient for lunches/snacks/coffee throughout the day. I found the mini bar well priced and there is also a small bar/chill out area for guests at the pool (closes at 8pm) for drinks around the pool – at 50 pesos a beer, very reasonable (they are about 35 pesos in the local shops).

The staff were friendly and went out of their way to organize me a early boat trip and a packed breakfast the night before at very short notice.

Charts is about a 5 min walk from Alona beach and there are restaurants, bars, basic shops and a bank & ATM all within walking distance. If you need to get to Dumaluan beach or somewhere else eon the island, tricycles and guys offering bike rental can be found all along the road. It’s a convenient place to stay if you don’t mind not being RIGHT on the beach.

To give my opinion on some of the previous posters complaints;

Traffic noise – ChARTs is situated on Pangloa’s buzzing main road, but it’s not exactly a highway – just motorbikes and taxis with the odd delivery truck. If you want peace & quiet, rather book on Dumaluan beach as Alona in general is a bit noisy.

Loud air conditioners in the rooms – I was personally happy to have the constant but manageable drone of the airconditioner rather than hear passing motorcycles when I wanted to have an afternoon nap.

Booking costs – I paid 2500 pesos for an early morning boat tour which Im sure I could have organised cheaper elsewhere but as a single female was happier to pay a premium to get trusted service. A transfer to Tagbilaran airport was 600 pesos through Charts, no doubt cheaper if I had tried to book direct. If you are on a tight budget and have the time, shopping around will save you money. If you don’t have the time/inclination to shop around, you must to be willing to pay a bit extra.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank hatter08
Reviewed March 21, 2011

We had a wonderful time on the ChARTs Resort. We stayed two weeks here. The ChARTs team made our stay so comfortable and relaxing. The staff is super friendly and helpful. We loved the excellent breakfasts and the cocktails in the evening. We enjoyed the very clean room an the super comfortable beds. The housekeeping was good. The pool was very good to cool down and we had relaxing massage at the resort spa. The beach is only about 5 minutes walk away, where you can get everything else you need. But at the end of the day: the ChARTS-Resort is like a lttle oasis!
We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Olaf_LG
Reviewed February 16, 2011

The resort sits on the main road, an easy five minute walk to Alona Beach. There in lies the main problem I had with ChArts, the road noise was quite oppressive, especially during the day if you want to chill by the pool. Also at night and early in the morning we had quite a lot of noise coming through the wall from the office next door (we were in the first room after reception). The pool was a bit on the small side for any real swimming. I also felt, for the price we were paying the rooms were a bit tired, but nothing that a lick of paint wouldn't solve. Moans aside, the grounds are nicely laid out, the staff are very polite and charming and breakfast on the roof terrace was quite good. I probably wouldn't go back as we found better accommodation around the corner for half the price (see Alona Swiss Resort review).

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Greg K
Reviewed January 24, 2011

What I like best about this resort is the location. It is only a 5 minute walk to the beach or one can just stay inside (it was raining when we came) and enjoy some drinks at the poolside bar or pamper oneself with a massage at the resort spa.
The rooms are clean and there were always the friendly and accommodating personnel.
The owner must have put lots of effort into the details of the resort. For the breakfast, one is left with the option of choosing other than the prepared menu for a fee. Who would not like to have a good brewed coffee in the morning ? This is my nth time to Panglao and I would say this homey resort is ok.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple