“A perfect getaway if you long for some peace”

Eskaya Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Panglao Island
Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband and I spent 6 nights at Balai 4 – ocean view villa with infinity pool. The view from our room was absolutely stunning – got tons of ‘like it’ after we posted the photos(original) on social network. The villa is beautifully designed with open air shower, jacuzzi – just the way we wish it to be. The resort is very tranquil and relaxing. Some reviewers complained about the size of the private beach, but to my opinion, it is of adequate size since you can most of time can have it to your own. Similar for public infinity pool (quite big). We were happy with the standard of service we received – nice and polite staffs. Food and drink were fine but don’t expect anything exceptionally good. Overall, Eskaya would be a perfect choice for those badly long for a peaceful getaway.

The highlight of my Eskaya experience:
- enjoy a breakfast facing the ocean and our private infinity pool
- get a drink while swimming in the public infinity pool - there is a bar attached to it, you can virtually sitting in the water!

Some tips on activities you can expect there:

- Sea kayaking is quite fun. We visited a few surrounding neighbor resorts and saw beautiful rainbow when in the middle of the ocean..
- Alona beach is not very far away but not at walking distance. We ride a bike there. It’s about 20 mins ride. It’s a beach but quite crowded just like any other famous beach around the world. You can find many bars and restaurant there, cheaper than Eskaya but nothing special either.
- We also got front desk to arrange a Dolphin, snorkeling and virgin island tour. It’s a half day, private boat tour. Quite nice. The best part is I got a chance to jump into the sea with our guide to catch sea chestnut and ate it on the spot! – a once in a lifetime experience I will be proud of for years lol.
- We decided to give the chocolate hill a miss and optioned for Tarsier Encounter and loboc river tour – so so. Not a must go.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Actually, this place changed my perception of Bohol. The place was just so amazing----it made me feel like i was in paradise. The rooms were so nice,view from it was fantastic! i actually didn't want to go out anymore. Food was great and the service was excellent. I'll definitely be back Eskaya Resorts :)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I will give this a fair review, and will not let the fact that I had money stolen from my room factor my opinion of this resort.

Firstly, it is a beautiful location and resort. It has to be one of the most quietest places on earth. Villas are nice(we were in #4). Perfect getaway for couples. The free dolphin tour we had as a part of the package was superb. We saw at least 100 spinner dolphins, well worth getting up at 5.30am for.

Now the downside, I had 9000peso stolen from my pocket of the jeans I had laying over the chair. I was more disappointed with the attitude of the management in dealing with this. Needless to say, nothing was done about it, no apology let alone any compensation.

The food is very average and at 5 star prices.

Lastly, the attention to detail from the staff is lacking. It was our wedding anniversary and my wife's birthday. We go away somewhere every year for this occasion, and always the hotel gives a cake, or flowers etc. but here, nothing.

I believe if they had a foreigner managing this place, the service level would increase and make this a superb resort to visit.

It was worth the visit, but I would not return until I hear of the service improving to a 5 star level.

6  Thank John J
Reviewed April 7, 2014

This was an one in a million experience. A resort which provides luxury and utmost care and sincerity for your happiness and well being during your stay. From the moment you step out of the airport you are greeted with the biggest smile and you are treated like a King from there on in until you come back to the Airport. If you are looking for a beautiful and exclusive retreat this is the place to go! As soon as you arrive you are welcomed with lays and a welcome drink! As we arrived before lunch because of the early flight they really look out for your well being as although the room wasn't ready they offered us breakfast and a tour of the resort. Although I was told the resort was nearly fully occupied you really feel like your on your own private island!amazing right!! We stayed in the Villa type with a pool and this was just an experience better than any other resort I've stayed in the Philippines. There is plenty to do as they all the usual but I suggest to have a Spa (which you must do!) that overlooks the sea it's just absolutely breathtaking. We also woke up early to watch the dolphins it was worth waking up 5am to watch the sunrise before boarding the boat but we realized that this was not any ordinary boat trip when they provided their own personal staff as well as the boatmen to provide personal butler service for the boat trip! How amazing right, I wanted to call him Alfred as his names was Ariel but I guess he's the Filipino Alfred! When we had breakfast on the beach they literally brought Eskaya to the beach continental breakfast with all their crockery and cutlery, this was SERVICE! I could really go on all I can say...IT'S ALL ABOUT ESKAYA!

Room Tip: You have to choose the rooms with a private pool!
1  Thank kirk d
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Recently stayed at Balai 14 (Sea View Room) with my wife for 2 nights and 3 days. The trip from Manila was quick and fuss free. PAL was on time and we were picked up and received by our Eskaya service with ease. The resort was about 30 minutes away from the Airport. It seemed a lot quicker because our driver (Martin) was giving us pointers and "things to know" about the city. It was pretty entertaining actually.

Upon arrival, we immediately headed to the main resort area. The view was absolutely breath taking. The sprawling infinity pool (as seen on their profile icon) is as accurate as it can be.

We then had a quick Filipino Breakfast. (it was above average) then checked in to our room.

The room was fantastic! We were told that the structures were designed by Bobby Manosa. (a National Artist ) Hard wood floors, high vaulted bamboo ceilings and native Eskayan artifacts displayed. The bed was amazing. High thread count comforters and soft-heavenly bed. The bathroom sealed the deal for us. It had an outdoor shower, whirl pool, modern rain shower and a bamboo garden. A modern Bahay Kubo would best describe our room.

We then swam in the pool had drinks, then visited the private beach and toured the resort facilities. We went around the Panglao area too. Visited a neighboring popular resort for late lunch and walked the famous Alona Beach. It was nice and bustling but I feel that Eskaya's private beach is much much better. The sand is more powdery and white at Eskaya.

Later that evening we had dinner on the Seaview Deck.. THAT. WAS. AWESOME! We had grilled seafood and steak. We were able to see a distant sunset (not visible) but you can still enjoy the sunset colors of the sky with the ocean's horizon. Eskaya has an amazing sun-rise view instead.

We were able to take 2 tours via Eskaya. The Island Tour and started with a dolphin watching and snorkeling at Balicasag Island and capped it at Virgin island / sand bar trip. (tasted fresh Uni for Php 20, be careful of the overpriced hawkers) This is a must go to experience. Amazing beaches and marine wild life!!!!! What made this even better was we were accompanied by Ariel (a personal assistant staffed by Eskaya). He served us breakfast on the Island and guided us through all the stops. This was really helpful and made everything extra special and made us feel VIP. =)

Later that day, we took the Bohol Cultural Tour, which involved the Loboc River Cruise, Tarsier Encounter and Chocolate Hills. This was fun too and it was a great balance. Because we got to see the locals and cultural perspective of the province. Again, it was also much much better because we were accompanied by Danilo an Eskaya Resort staff to assist every step of the way. We didn't even have to fall in line! lol

Later that evening we had dinner at Eskaya's Beach. This was perfect. Our table was lined with candles and tiki torches was lit along the beach near our camp fire. We tried their local Boholano Cuisine. I must say, this was AMAZING! The flavors and texture was delightful. (You must try, Humba, Kinilaw, Salpicao and Bread pudding for dessert) The dinner was capped of by a trio of acoustic guitarist serenading us. Such a romantic and surreal experience.

We had to jet off because we had an 8:30pm massage appointment. The wife and I had a couple's scrub and massage. The spa was beautiful, its quaint but breathtaking as well. (the view is best seen during the day).

The following day, we had to catch our flight back to Manila. I must say, this experience will be in my top 3 of all time. I wouldn't want to experience Bohol any other way.

Eskaya, we will be back.

Thank you for the wonderful experience.

Room Tip: For couples, get the room with infinity pool is economical but if you can splurge go for the Preside...
2  Thank TravelFoodieNYC
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Stayed here over the weekend and the place just blew me away. First time on a getaway as fine as this. The villa is beautifully designed and their food and service is amazing. I don't understand the bad reviews but they are probably from way back and Eskaya must've improved throughout the years. And I know it doesn't come cheap but it was definitely worth the price. I will come back again, I'd be proud to bring people to this place.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Eskaya is in a whole other league. There's nothing quite like it in Bohol. From the amenities, to the service, and the fact that they have their own private beach front with better powdery sands, Eskaya is the "only way to do Bohol" if you are a discerning traveler who prefers being pampered as opposed to roughing it up.

The minute we got picked up, our driver Martin was as pleasant as can be and was already giving us a quick overview of Bohol. Since we arrived very early (around 7:00AM), we were immediately served breakfast. The first time we saw the main pool that opens up to the sea, we were wowed. We stayed at the sea view villa but since we couldn't check-in yet, the staff were kind enough to show us around and see the other rooms. The Presidential and Family Villas were impressive! The rooms were beautiful and were apparently designed by a local National Artist. The "all naturale" bathroom style was refreshing.

Don't ever get an island tour outside of Eskaya. Besides, you can get a room package from Eskaya that already comes with included tours. At first you might think it would be cheaper to directly get a tour from the guys who would approach you but believe me, get the tours from Eskaya because it makes all the difference. First of all, you get a personal assistant and for the more discerning traveler (or if you have kids), it makes it that much more enjoyable if there's an assistant who attends to your needs and even guards your personal belongings. The tour at Eskaya starts at 5:30 AM. You ride a boat that leads you to an island where there are wild dolphins, hundreds of them swimming around you--if you get lucky you might even catch baby dolphins eager to please with flips and twirls. After that you will be lead to another island called Balicasag where your personal assistant is going to prepare you Continental breakfast complete with amenities he will bring along with him from Eskaya. After breakfast you will be picked up by another boat for some snorkeling. Eskaya will provide top of the line snorkeling gear as well--they are clean and well maintained making it all the more worth it to get tours from Eskaya instead of the others. While snorkeling, the personal assistant guards your bags. the snorkeling was delightful! You'll see Dory and even Sea Turtles! It's like being in a real-life Finding Nemo experience! You will then go to the Virgin Island which has the most spectacular sandbar. There you have the option to eat freshly caught sea urchins and even buy pearls. After the island tour, we were then back to land this time to go to the more touristy spots like Loboc River, see the Tarsiers and the Chocolate Hills. Now instead of a personal assistant you get your own private van with an attentive driver who gives you umbrellas, bottled waters, and cold face towels to make sure you are relaxed from the hectic schedule.

After our tours, we had dinner by Eskaya's private beach front with bbq. We ordered Boholano local dishes and you have to try them! The Humba, Salpicao, and Kinilaw are delicious! The dinner comes with a "Harana" (Serenade). The group is great! They even perfrom Eraserheads, Parokya, U2, and boy can they sing it!

Another attraction in Eskaya is its spa which was featured at Conde Nast as one of the best spas in Asia. The spa is to-die-for. When we saw it, our jaws dropped! My husband and I are spa lovers and we make it a point to go to the best ones. Eskaya definitely has one of the most gorgeous we've ever seen--make sure to schedule one in the afternoon or just before sunset because at night, you will miss the view and you won't be able to use the outdoor amenities.

Overall Eskaya is worth every penny. It's pricey (same level as Aman resorts and Maldives) but if on a trip to Bohol, it's the best out there. We know because we walked around the other resorts and they were very average compared to Eskaya. You won't have any other reason to go out! They place is apparently the "best kept secert" of celebrities and politicians. Eskaya's packages also have a lot of inclusions which makes it cost efficient anyway. When we got a package, the only other thing we paid while we were there were the gratuity tips that we gave to the attentive staff.

Can't want to go to Esakaya again!

Room Tip: Make sure to order the following amazing dishes: Humba (Bohol local pork dish..it's good!), Kini...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends