Alona Tropical Beach Resort
$125
$649
$236
Agoda.com
Panglao Regents Park Resort(Panglao Island)(Great Value!)
$47
$42
Bohol Beach Club(Panglao Island)
$172
$142
Agoda.com
Bohol Sea Resort(Panglao Island)
$43
$34
$249
$241
  • Pool
$542
$410
  • Breakfast included
South Palms Resort(Panglao Island)
$216
$203
$254
$231
  • Breakfast included
Bohol South Beach Hotel(Panglao Island)
$44
$36
Agoda.com
All reviewsfan roomair conditioned roomwhite sandhot and cold showerquiet placerestaurants and barsswimming pool isdive shopbeach resortsea urchinsboholstretchshorepoolsideratesverandahut
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights, the room was small but the hotel's location on the beach makes up for this. Nice pool, beach-side bar and restaurant too, with lovely staff. They have a dive-centre which also offers great snorkelling trips for non-divers. Location is perfect, its in the quiet corner of the beach but still only a 5 minute walk to the busy part of Alona Beach.
Only downside to this place is the rude girls on reception, they're not very helpful and lack basic manners (one looked hungover and burped during her conversation with me, not even excusing herself - charming !)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank JennaJen
Reviewed November 6, 2012

My wife and I were interested in the Alona Tropical Beach Resort for its location and pool. Because of the reasonably-priced fan-rooms (P1,320/night), we were willing to overlook the deficiencies identified by other Trip Advisor members such as mildew-smelling rooms, inadequate clothing storage and mosquito-proofing, and intermittent hot water. What we couldn’t overlook, however, was the most insurmountable problem: appalling customer service.

I was asked to send a 50% deposit through a bank wire transfer. No problem – I’m used to this archaic and expensive requirement ($20 bank fee) from dealings with other Philippine hotels. Unfortunately, my bank cannot transfer Philippine pesos from Canada, but they helpfully suggested other options: transfer dollars to a US dollar account; transfer pesos via a Smart phone to a BDO Unibank Smart Money account ($3 fee); use PayPal; or sent pesos via Western Union ($20 fee).

The hotel ignored these suggestions and insisted that I send peso. I again told them that I could not, that they needed to explore other options (or simply waive the deposit). Their response was to stop responding to my e-mails. I am appalled by this attitude, not only their abrupt termination of e-mails, but their refusal to even consider other simple options. They can pick up a Western Union transfer by walking a few meters into Alona Beach, and their web-page lists a Smart phone number, so they obviously have access to a smart money account. I took this lack of customer service as a warning about other parts of their operation, and decided not to pursue the issue further. We are now booked at the Alona Vida (through PayPal) and look forward to a very pleasant stay.

The lesson learned: if you are an international traveler concerned about securing guaranteed reservations during Bohol’s peak season, AVOID THIS HOTEL LIKE THE PLAGUE.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank ndser
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Entry Level

This resort is designed for travelers on a budget. It was recommended to me by a family member and my significant other had stayed at the resort before, so I took their word and stayed.

Arrival at the hotel was after a long day trip from Cebu. The ferry was cancelled and what was supposed to be a 2 hour trip, turned into an all day adventure. When I arrived at the hotel, I was given a chance to select my room. The first unit didn't have AC and I wasn't thrilled about that so I opted for room #12 with AC.

First impressions were that it was a really nice resort. The grounds were well kept and staff was friendly. Every guest that either entered the facility or approached the front desk, were greeted warmly and with a smile.

As I walked down to my room, I noticed the caged animals. Reminding myself that this was the Philippines didn't help. I am not one to see intelligent animals caged and unable to roam freely, but that is a different story for another day.

I had the one bedroom, one bath, single story unit with AC. The bed was not too firm but not too soft. I had a problem with the sheets sliding off the mattress and thought better sheets would be nice.

The television reception was horrific. You could barely make out the channels on TV and with Hurricane Sandy beating up the US, I couldn't keep updates on what was happening due to the poor quality of the television.

There was no hot water in the bathroom. The faucet was made from PVC pipe and would twist loosly when the tap was turned. Water pressure was fine but the lack of hot water made for an interesting first 2-3 minutes of a shower.

I was never alone because small lizards (gekko's) would crawl on the walls and out via crevices in the building walls.

Due to the construction of the room, everything appeared to be covered in a fine layer of sawdust. I'm not sure what the source for the dust was, but every morning, we had to blow off the equipment and then have the room swept.

I would recommend an update to the facility furnishings as they are rather old now.

Now, for my chief complaint. There is no Internet access other than in the office and in the restaurant. The restaurant Wi-Fi didn't work at all and the staff didn't know how to fix it. I had to take my laptop and accessories up to the front lobby to used the Internet. I was not alone as there were others trying to surf as well but we had limited success. The Internet needs to be fixed. The site does not have a proper Internet connection.

Proximity to the beach is amazing. It was easy to walk out the front door of our bungalow, and 50 yards later, be standing in water just enjoying the ocean and the waves. The further away you are from the beach, the more underwater grass and seaweed you will encounter.

There is plenty to do, or not do, at this resort. Would I stay here again? For the price? Sure.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank HGfromOmaha
Reviewed November 1, 2012

we stayed for a 4D3N at Alona Tropical Beach Resort mid October. It's a garden themed resort with lots of antiques stuff.

we got a room just across the pool. room was basic- no ref,
cons
- aircon of our room was annoyingly noisy and loud and worse not cold enough.
- there were mosquitoes inside the room. good thing we brought mosquito repellant. reported this to the reception on the second day and they sprayed insecticide which we inhaled. we turned on the lights in the bathroom so the exhaust fan would also be turned on to suck the smell.
-no hangers or hooks to hang our wet clothes; they could have screwed some hooks or put retractable clothesline in the bathroom.
-hot water is not always available in the bathroom, i dont know why
-resto menu is the usual filipino dish; quite pricey ; fried pork chop was bland
-coffee not refillable
-the hot choco served on the first day was thick but not on the second day ! it was disappointing.
-free wifi only in the resto which is kinda slow (smart bro accdg to the waiter)
-lots of big earthen jars which have water in it (breeding place of mosquitoes)

pros
-staff were nice, friendly, cheerful
-just walking distance from the beach
-bed mattress was soft and firm at the same time; clean , white linen
-the toilet is very clean; i love the bidet; tissues were replenished daily
-they change the towel daily
-has cable tv
-nice ,clean pool
-quiet surrounding
-accepted senior citizen card and mastercard
-far away from the crowd
-white sand beach all to ourselves

overall, average and acceptable. may stay there again but will definitely avoid that room at any cost.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Velardy
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We reached Alona Tropical Beach Resort from Tagbilaran Port in about 40-50 mins. via tricycab that brought us to the place for only P250 (that's for the 2 of us already). We decided to ask manong to fetch us the following day because the place is a bit secluded and no local transport can be found easily.

Made a reservation 3 weeks before our travel date and when we arrived, the check-in process was swift. The front desk staff was very professional and another staff was kind enough to carry our luggage and lead us to our room.

Our room was by the end of a hall at the second floor of a building lined with rooms awith no air-conditioning like ours. Our rooms have two detached single bed with 2 pillows each, a wardrobe, a basic bathroom with h&c shower and electric fan for ventilation. They provide basic necessities like 2 clean towels, shampoo, soap and toilet paper. There's also a chair and table right outside if you want to relax or eat.

Since it was off-peak season, the resort have rather few guests and the place was quiet and cozy. Just the way we wanted it to be. The whole place was just relaxing. The beach with its pristine white sand is a minute from our room. You can also opt to avail of their massage or take a dip in their pool. The place was just relaxing!

The beach was commendable! White sand. Clean and clear water. If you have time, go for a snorkeling or dive adventure which you can easily avail from neighboring dive shops.

We had our breakfast at their restaurant and was served with freshly brewed coffee.TIP: During breakfast, get something from the breakfast menu instead of from the regular menu. I ordered a grilled squid from the regular menu and took rather a long time before it was prepared, and it was even unsatisfactory when they served it. But the Filipino breakfast menu that my boyfrined ordered was yum.

Overall, our experience in this place was excellent. We had a very relaxing and enjoyable time. And would definitely go back in the future! Pray for a good weather! :)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple