“A bit sketchy”

Dumaluan Beach Resort
Ranked #38 of 50 Hotels in Panglao Island
Reviewed January 21, 2009

The resort is well-situated (beach front), clean, and friendly employees. BUT! the food was very expensive for something less than mediocre. The quality of the rooms also depends on what you are given even if it is the same price. We booked two standard rooms right next to each other and one was definitely nicer than the other. One room ALWAYS smelled like sewage no matter how much Lysol we used. There was also a lot of ants in the room. Both bathrooms' shower would overflow and flood the floor. It was an okay resort for the price we paid for but the bad thing about our stay there was that all of us got bed bug bites. Yeuck.

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank blalala

Reviewed January 17, 2009

January 15-17, my hubby and I stayed in this resort and oh! our stay here was really great. Nice cottages, nice rooms, nice beach, nice pool, nice people and the beach! (lets not talk about food - so expensive).
Anyway, our experience in this resort leave a place in our heart. We recommend this to everyone, if your looking for affordable, tame, wholesome, place to stay in Bohol, DBR is right for you!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2008

My decision for an overnight stay in Bohol was impetuous and in peak season - so it was unlikely that I would be able to find a room by just fronting up to a hotel. The tour guide who picked my partner and I up at the peir recommended this resort and drove us there. It was nightfall and I wasn't prepared to look elsewhere so I was an obvious target.

The desk woman was not very friendly - it appears that staff who are employed in high tourist/visitor situations seem to lose that natural filipino charmingness - I found that same 'worn' attitude amongst staff at another resort that I visited.

The only room remaining was a 'suite' which was 4000p per night - I inspected it and found it a little dilapidated (as is almost everything in the filipines) but clean. Some minor bargaining brought the price down to 3000p.

The food at the 'resort ' was very average and a little overpriced. I noticed the waiter grimace once when my partner asked for something - consequently - no tip. I don't pay for bad attitude.

The only saving grace for this place is the beach.....and the ability to sit outside in the open in nice surroundings. I really can't recommend this 'resort' to anyone. I noticed the next day that my tour guide was wearing the 'resorts' T-shirt - thus his reluctance to take me to a place recommended by a fellow TripAdvisor .....

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DrChrisBrisbane
Reviewed September 28, 2008

My partner and I went to Bohol by Travel agency just this Sept.26 to 28 2008. I have read all the reviews from this site but it never crossed my mind that Dumaluan was such an ordinary place like everyone else was telling. So when we arrived there after the awesome tour we had. I felt the comfort of the place already because of their service and friendliness. Maybe after all the things that some people were giving feedbacks about Dumaluan i think there's a lot/ big changes.. The place was clean, because on the second day the housekeppers would be cleaning the room again and changing the towels and sheets. The food was pretty delicious but it's a bit expensive although i think it was okay since the food is good for 2 person. The service of the food depends on how or which food did you order..i think some food doesn't take 20 mins. so it was okay. But the beach was very beautiful i've been travelling around the Philippines for quite sometimes now and I am proud that I have been to Bohol, there are seaweeds in the beach but how can you control it it's natures best creation in the sea..lol.. but the blue crystal clear of the water was really great!!! you could sit, stand or do anything you want but everything in it was very relaxing. And one morning when we were having breakfast I saw a man carrying a big pile of can ang he was getting all the seaweeds in the shore..meaning he was cleaning it!!! So i don't think anyone would be having problem here in "dumaluan besides as i have told you before there was a lot/big change in this place.. And lastly, a lot of foreigners like Koreans and Americans are staying in this place beacuse its "worth it" !!!!! Love everything about Bohol and Dumaluan :)
P.S . ill post pictures of me and my partner soon :)

• Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank Tsup-Tsup-Tsup
Reviewed September 16, 2008

I spent 3 days at Dumaluan in September 2008. I had read the negative reviews but decided to give it a chance. I didn't regret it. I took a superior deluxe room at P1850 per day including breakfast for 2. The room was clean and comfortable, everything in the bathroom worked well.
The staff at the reception and the waiters were very friendly and helpful, all exhibiting the genuine Boholano friendliness. After reading all the negative reviews, I think there must have been a change in management, or a serious retraining of staff since those reviews were written.
The beach in front of the resort is one of the best in Panglao. The food was good by Filipino standard. The coco prawns were outstanding and highly recommended. I liked the driftwood furniture in the retaurant. The overall atmosphere of the resort was casual and relaxed. The staff were helpful in organizing dives and boat trips (although their boat was much too noisy).
On the negative side, the live entertainment on some evenings, a lone female singer performing loud elevator music, was not to my taste. I personally prefer to hear the waves on the beach and the breeze in the palms. Well, nothing is perfect.
In summary, Dumaluan will be my recommendation for friends who want to take a vacation in Bohol. Excellent value; avoid the crowds of Aluna Beach and the isolation of Balicasag; don't break your wallet; have a great time
Christian Perez, September 17, 2008

• Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank ChristianManila
Reviewed July 30, 2008

Just finished a 3 days 2 nights vacation with my husband and 4 friends in Panglao Island, Bohol. It was idyllic. We stayed in Dumaluan Beach Resort in spite some of the bad reviews we've read. To our surprised, the resort is NOT all that bad. Upon arrival we were given WELCOME DRINKS (ice tea) We were fortunate to have the newly renovated rooms. Although you cant compare it to a "5-star" hotel, the rooms are clean. Staffs are not overly-friendly but courteous enough. We love the beach especially during low tide. White sand and clear blue water (but there are sea weeds lining the shore).

The only thing I dont like about the resort is the over priced food (not worth it) and slow service in their restaurant. Good thing there is "carinderia" near by the public beach.

OVER ALL, DUMALUAN BEACH RESORT AIN'T THAT BAD!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2008

I have been around the world twice and I wouldnt let my dogs stay in this place. The only good service you get is from the waiters. If anybody from the US reads this and belongs to AAA, the best advise I can give you is bring a tent. At least you are sure of what kind of place you are staying in. If you plan to bring computer, leave it at home because they dont turn wireless internet service on (contrary to the advertisement). We didnt have a working aircon in the rom in our first night and had to stay in the veranda where it was cooler. They tried giving us an electric fan, but it only made worse. Why not put a word worst than TERRIBLE, about DISGUSTING! Would say more but that kind of language is not allowed in the internet. Forget about compliaining to the Manager, he isnt around. The front desk people are more interested in playing computer games for an internet service they supposedly dont have.

This is rhe best warning I can give you.

Jack Ahle