“Great place to stay in Bohol”

Dumaluan Beach Resort
Ranked #34 of 49 Hotels in Panglao Island
Manila
“Great place to stay in Bohol”
Reviewed September 16, 2008

I spent 3 days at Dumaluan in September 2008. I had read the negative reviews but decided to give it a chance. I didn't regret it. I took a superior deluxe room at P1850 per day including breakfast for 2. The room was clean and comfortable, everything in the bathroom worked well.
The staff at the reception and the waiters were very friendly and helpful, all exhibiting the genuine Boholano friendliness. After reading all the negative reviews, I think there must have been a change in management, or a serious retraining of staff since those reviews were written.
The beach in front of the resort is one of the best in Panglao. The food was good by Filipino standard. The coco prawns were outstanding and highly recommended. I liked the driftwood furniture in the retaurant. The overall atmosphere of the resort was casual and relaxed. The staff were helpful in organizing dives and boat trips (although their boat was much too noisy).
On the negative side, the live entertainment on some evenings, a lone female singer performing loud elevator music, was not to my taste. I personally prefer to hear the waves on the beach and the breeze in the palms. Well, nothing is perfect.
In summary, Dumaluan will be my recommendation for friends who want to take a vacation in Bohol. Excellent value; avoid the crowds of Aluna Beach and the isolation of Balicasag; don't break your wallet; have a great time
Christian Perez, September 17, 2008

• Stayed September 2008
2 Thank ChristianManila

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Manila
Reviewed July 30, 2008

Just finished a 3 days 2 nights vacation with my husband and 4 friends in Panglao Island, Bohol. It was idyllic. We stayed in Dumaluan Beach Resort in spite some of the bad reviews we've read. To our surprised, the resort is NOT all that bad. Upon arrival we were given WELCOME DRINKS (ice tea) We were fortunate to have the newly renovated rooms. Although you cant compare it to a "5-star" hotel, the rooms are clean. Staffs are not overly-friendly but courteous enough. We love the beach especially during low tide. White sand and clear blue water (but there are sea weeds lining the shore).

The only thing I dont like about the resort is the over priced food (not worth it) and slow service in their restaurant. Good thing there is "carinderia" near by the public beach.

OVER ALL, DUMALUAN BEACH RESORT AIN'T THAT BAD!

• Liked — clean room
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Florida
Reviewed July 7, 2008

I have been around the world twice and I wouldnt let my dogs stay in this place. The only good service you get is from the waiters. If anybody from the US reads this and belongs to AAA, the best advise I can give you is bring a tent. At least you are sure of what kind of place you are staying in. If you plan to bring computer, leave it at home because they dont turn wireless internet service on (contrary to the advertisement). We didnt have a working aircon in the rom in our first night and had to stay in the veranda where it was cooler. They tried giving us an electric fan, but it only made worse. Why not put a word worst than TERRIBLE, about DISGUSTING! Would say more but that kind of language is not allowed in the internet. Forget about compliaining to the Manager, he isnt around. The front desk people are more interested in playing computer games for an internet service they supposedly dont have.

This is rhe best warning I can give you.

Jack Ahle
Largo, Florida, USA

• Liked — waiters
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank disgusred

Travelers are raving about these Panglao Island hotels

Reviewed June 22, 2008

After travelling to Bohol from Cebu by boat, we were taken to Dumaluan "resort" for a 2 day stay. After encountering a very rude and sarcastic front desk attendant, it only got worse. I thought front desk people were supposed to make you feel welcome or at least be polite, but this person was the epitome of rudeness. We were immediately put into a negative frame of mind from this encounter. My wife and family tried to make the best of a bad situation, but then when we saw the substandard rooms, the extremely small beach area, and unmaintained pool, we decided to check out the nest resort down the road (Bohol Beach Club). We were more than pleasantly surprised at the professionalism of the staff, beauty, and cleanliness of the 2nd place and in spite of the cost increase which was about 1.5x what we paid at Dumaluan, we decided to take our losses and get a room (luckily there was one available!). Every aspect of Dumaluan pales in comparison to the Bohol Beach Club, especially the friendly and welcoming attitude of the front desk staff. We now felt at ease and relaxed. We will never consider Dumaluan as a place to stay on any of our return trips, and it's obvious to me that enough people have written negative reviews on this horrible place that the owner should take notice and make MANY improvements! DON'T STAY HERE!!!

• Liked — The fact that we were able to cancel our 2nd day of scheduled stay.
  • Disliked — The rudeness of the front desk staff. Cleanliness of area. Buildings smell like toilet.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank StephenMinnesota
CEBU
Reviewed June 13, 2008

We had our 3 day stay in this resort and never been on these days we encounter good service. We arrived around 12:00 pm, we are told that check in time is 2:00 pm. So, we ate then waited for 2:00 pm. We reserved 2 rooms but unfortunately we were asked again to wait for 30 min. We thought it is just for the start but when we checked the room, there toilet is not good. Food are served almost an hour. In there restaurant, staffs are lazy. They are so unorganized. When you talk to receptionist, they will talk to you with no courtesy at all. This resort has bad service.

• Liked — Can't think of any.
  • Disliked — Worst staff/ service
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank MARTINA0517
South Yorkshire
Reviewed June 1, 2008

During our annual holidays my (filipino) wife and I found ourselves at the Dumaluan beach resort for 1 night in May.
This is undoubtedly the worst place we have ever stayed in the Philippines.
The whole resort has an air of dereliction about it, the room we were allocated was dirty and in need of full refurbishment, toilet seat hanging off, tv bracket hanging off the wall, entrance doors with no handles, door lock defective and the room in need of full redecoration.
At p2300 per night it is seriously over priced for the accommodation provided and you will be disappointed.
In the restaurant area the staff were too busy standing about talking and laughing to do their job properly, our food order took ages to arrive and when it did it was barely warm. My wife is a catering manager in the UK and she was appalled by the antics of the staff.
Bohol is a truly beautiful island with white beaches and crystal clear water but the Dumaluan beach resort is not the place to stay.

• Liked — Leaving the next morning
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bukay1962
Visayas
Reviewed May 13, 2008

Hi I'm Vi. As a way of giving thanks to my parents, I treated them to Bohol since they never had visited the place before. After the tour, we ended up in Dumaluan resort. The place is nice though not until I found out the room and how some of their staff acted. Very right, the room is kind of "buggy". I was surprise when I saw a big bug on the pillow. Yeck! The utility team is good. However, what I am complaining about was the frontdesk. How come they never wore a smile on their face? It's as if they're carrying a heavy load and they're not even courteous.

One thing, my cousins stayed there for dinner and I booked a van in the resort to drive them to the pier since they need to go home that night. Here's what happened. I clearly told the front desk that some of my cousins will be leaving, however since the van is owned by the resort and it will just come back after dropping them, I asked them if it it's possible to accompany my cousins. The front desk just simply said yes without further questions. There were 2 men inside the van wearing a white shirt and the other one wearing black. Now when my cousins were ready, I also went inside the front seat, they asked who's gonna drive it and the one in black answered. Now I said once again that me and my mom will accompany them since it's 8pm already. The driver then said that they will only allow 1 person to accompany them. I told him that I am a girl and I need my mom to be with me just to make sure that I will come back safely. They really insisted that only one person can come. Isn't that crazy? Me and my mom will still stay overnight at the resort and they won't allow us to come with my cousins???? That is really ridiculous! And at first place, they never even informed me. My mom and I went out from the van and I just saw that the man in white instead drove the van. There's something spooky in there.

Next thing, when me and my mom headed to our room, a lady from the front desk was running hurriedly to us asking me without any respect at all if my cousins swam at the pool, swam at the beach and changed their clothes at our room. The heck! I was surprised with that question and I just calmly said that they had dinner at the resort. She said that their management going to be mad at them if my cousins did!!!! That is really rubbish! At first place, before we booked ourselves in their resort, they should be transparent with their rules!

I said to myself, I will never stay in that resort again! And I will never recommend it. Oh, I stayed once at Alona resort and they're great!

• Stayed April 2008