“a mix of pros and cons but overall this place is ok” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Isis Bungalows

Isis Bungalows
Ranked #21 of 48 Hotels in Panglao Island
Las PInas
“a mix of pros and cons but overall this place is ok”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

pros:

fast email response for reservations and inquiries
reasonable price for the room and transfers
friendly driver for their airport transfers and countryside tour
the place looks nice and very well maintained
large and clean family room and toilet
very good thai restaurant at the ground floor (very good pad thai and other thai selections)
beach in front of the property is good for swimming even for small kids
many restaurants and stores nearby

cons:

you need to walk from the airport transfer drop-off point to the property
front desk manager does not/seldom smile/s
beachfront of the property is not too wide and expansive
the danggit (fish) in one of the breakfast selections is always a bit hard to eat
front desk manager will dissuade you from paying using credit card, even if it's advertised that they accept credit cards
boat tour operator arranged for us was not good (better make the arrangements yourself when you get to the area)
the fruit shake blender at the bar in the restaurant is too noisy
water pressure is not enough for the water heater

Room Tip: rooms 8 and 1 are most preferred. we stayed at room 7 which is also good.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JrlnLP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Just came back from a stay at the Isis, and stayed in a standard room. The room was clean upon arrival, and I mean REALLY clean. The smell of bleach was in the air, the tiles were so clean you could probably eat off of the floor. No gritty feeling walking around barefoot, and no dirt on my feet either. The floor was squeaky clean, the toilet smelled like bleach, the drains were all clean in the shower and bathroom, the shower curtain was spotless (no mildew, rust or any mystery stain). Chrome fixtures didn't have any watermarks, bed linen smelled like laundry soap... so I've pretty much elaborated on my point of the room being clean :)

Room description for standard room #10:

The location made me feel hungry most of the time since I could smell all the yummy dishes they were cooking in the restaurant (so that's a good selling point right there to go eat at their restaurant which serves great curry) if that bothers you, ask for a room further down the back of the property to be further away from the kitchen (incidentally, room #9 is right beside the kitchen, fyi).

The room itself had a king sized bed, with two pillows, and a medium weight flat sheet that served as the blanket. Mattress was foam and was comfy enough to sleep on, not rock hard and not too soft. The aircon was cold enough during the middle of the day, the small tv is up on the wall and had cable channels. Wifi in the room was at almost full bar because it's right across from the front desk. There is a coffee making amenity in the room but you'll have to ask for hot water as the water from the faucet isn't potable (it's posted on the wall that the water is trucked in from the river). Hot water in the shower was nice and hot, and the shower head provided ample spray circumference (great water pressure also). 2 towels are provided, 2 little bars of soap and 2 sachets of shampoo.

Staff were great and helpful. I had an early flight in and the room was immediately available (might not be the same situation if you check in during Chinese New Year since that's when Alona is bursting at the seams). Car ride to the airport was nice and comfy with a friendly driver.

The resort's location is right near the end of Alona beach away from the crowd where all the beachside bbq restaurants are at, so it's very quiet all throughout the day with only the sound of the waves as your soundtrack. No pool, but when the sea is flat, who wants to be in the pool??

The restaurant, as many reviewers have said before, serves great thai food. I encourage you to try the curries! The place also gets crowded during meal times also so I just took my lunch from the restaurant's counter and ate in my room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank DeepSeaAddict
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

This is my 4th visit to Alona Beach and the Isis restaurant has always been one of my favorite Thai restaurants. For the first time, my budget allowed me to spend a little more for the comforts of their rooms as well.It was a great choice. The quality of their food matches the quality of their rooms. I stayed downstairs for two nights. (No refrigerator) The TV is too small. And then I moved to a larger room upstairs. All the rooms upstairs have a better Oceanview and yes even a larger TV in #5. Room service was available as well as hot water as early as I wanted it in the morning for my in room coffee. Very convenient to have my room and meals all on one bill. Was able to pay in US $$ or pesos At current bank conversion rate. No Conversion fee was
charged. Thank you Isis! I will be back!

Diving at Balicasag island off of Alona Beach is some of the best diving I have had in My 6 dive trips to the Philippines. Sierra Madre is a 5-10 minute walk and is a great dive shop.

Room Tip: Spend a little more for upstairs and you will have a sliding glass door with a view of the ocean. #8...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Steve K
Cebu City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

I found this resort on tripadvisor.com so I'm now returning the favor.
The room price of P 3,000 / night is good value enough for a beach front location.
Food is great (Thai/Filipino cuisine) and affordable.
Bathrooms spacious, with hot/cold shower, complimentary towels and toiletries.
Complimentary coffee, tea, hot water.
Cable TV, wifi.
Staff needs training, no room service and front desk/manager not accommodating.

Room Tip: Bungalow #8 or Room #1 fronting the beach
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Quezon City, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

This is my second stay at Isis bungalows.

Isis Bungalows is located towards the end of Alona Beach in Panglao, which makes it at the quiet part of the noisy stretch of resorts.

It is located at the beach front so the kids enjoyed playing in front of the resort.

The rooms were clean and spacious. Towels, shampoo and soap is provided as well as coffee, tea,sugar and creamer.

Booking with the hotel was easy via their website as they respond to you promptly.

Room massage is also available for only Php 300 or USD 7.

I highly recommend this place because the price of the rooms are reasonable and their restaurant serves good food.

Room Tip: Bungalow 1 offers the best view of the sand and the sea.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank atty_mich77
Xiamen, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed 6 nights at this hotel and for the money it was a great deal. The first night we were put into room 11 and the shower nozzle was broken and there was barely a drizzle of water so it was difficult to shower, but we asked to change rooms the next day and they switched us without question. I have to say the t.v in the room is very very small and mounted up high on the wall so it's hard to watch, but they have satelite so there were good programs available. We spent the last 4 nights at another hotel that was 2 times more than the Isis and 4 times further from the beach (Isis is right on the beach) as the Isis was sold out for our remaining 4 nights, and that other hotel didn't have wifi or t.v in the room. Bottom line is if you want to stay on Alona beach with all the amenities of a hotel then the Isis is the right choice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MikeAileen
New York City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed here for two nights back in late December 2009. I never got around to posting this trip on here. I had a hard time getting any hotel room at that time of year. I wanted to stay in Bohol again because this is my second time to stay there but my third time to visit. The first time I went with my girlfriend for a day tour only. I was able to get a standard room for 2,000 php per night. The 3,000 php rooms were unavailable. Nevertheless this one sufficed. I was just a few steps from the front desk and a few steps from the beach.

There is wifi in the room; so I was able to take pictures and download to my computer and send via e-mail. There is a Thai restaurant a few steps from the room I stayed in. I ate in there once. The food was good. If you walk down a few steps to the left when you leave the bungalow you will encounter several food places. You can buy water and other goods at little shops. You can also dine outside. Lots of fresh fish if you like to eat fish.

It's not a crowded beach, at least not in the water. You will find the water feels a little cool when you first step into it. Maybe a little bit of winter shows up there in December? You will find several hustlers on the beach trying to get you to buy something or take a boat ride. Be careful. I notice some people on the boats without lifejackets. When I did a tour last time on Panglao Island I had to wear a lifejacket. The Philippines is notorious for boats capsizing so you don't want to ruin your vacation. I brought sunglasses but someone insisted I buy another pair. Last time I did a boat ride to look for dolphins but someone insisted it did not hurt to take another boat trip. I just wanted to relax not go on any boat trip. I understand these hustlers need to make a living but at times they come across too pushy.

The young ladies at the front desk were very helpful. I had paid the driver who came to pick me up because I asked the hotel to send me a driver. He never told them I paid so they were going to bill me for the taxi fare coming in. Anyway they straighten that out. If you go there it is suggested you have someone arranged to pick you up. When I went there the first time we were able to hire someone who took us around main parts of the island for a good fee. I think 500 php or something along that amount I paid for a tour to see stop to see the tarsiers, chocolate hills and other points of interest.

The room has a comfortable bed. The area has the basics. Nothing outstanding but nothing bad experience wise to talk about. The evening on the beach comes alive. Lots of people milling around. And fireflies too if I'm not mistaken.

The SuperCat will get you there to Tagbilaran.

Room Tip: I stayed here in December 2009 but the question "When did you travel" won't allow me t...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple