“Beautiful property, but beware of noisy conferences.”
Review of South Palms Resort

South Palms Resort
Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Panglao Island
Reviewed July 13, 2014

South Palms is a well renovated property with beautiful rooms, facilities and a beautiful clean beach, however the food was okay and due to a conference there was a lot of noise via a large speakerphone.

The property is gorgeous and I found the rooms very nice with extremely comfortable beds. The gym was fantastic and the games area was great also. It was unfortunate that our stay coincided with a conference, as the group (about 40 pax) played games on the beach where they had an announcer on a very loud speakerphone which could be heard around the pool, beach and restaurant. (The people themselves weren't annoying, just the loudspeaker).

I recommend getting the breakfast/dinner option as there are no other food options in the area and the a la carte menu is incredibly expensive in comparison. The food is okay, some food was delicious but it was mostly average-good. The variety of food is good, and each meal I found a few delicious dishes. Others have mentioned a lack of food, however I found that food was replenished within 10-20mins. The service was excellent and the staff we spoke with loved their job and were extremely helpful.

I would stay here again however I would double-check to see if there are any functions booked as the loudspeaker ruined the atmosphere!

Room Tip: The beachfront villas are beautiful, and if you book direct are not much more than the level entry r...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank joneslangley
Sales and Marke... S, Sales and Marketing Staff at South Palms Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2014

Hello joneslangley,

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay at South Palms Resort Panglao despite that constraints caused by the loud speaker phone during your stay. Your kind words about the facilities and services we provided were deeply appreciated.

Thank you very much and looking forward on your next visit to South Palms Resort Panglao!

There are newer reviews for South Palms Resort

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Great location on a beautiful beach. The rooms are ok but lack any charm, we also looked at a suite as where thinking of upgrading but were also just average. Given the climate we spent most of our time either at the pool or beach. The most disappointing thing was the food, it was poor at best. We purchased a meal plan of breakfast & dinner. Breakfast was a unlooked after Buffett with flys and once hot food gone cold. The eggs station was a slow and over cooked.
The dinner was always a buffet and after 2 nights we abanded it to local restaurants which were great. The resort is not close to anything but local restaurants sent a taxi for us.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sales and Marke... S, Sales and Marketing Staff at South Palms Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Hello Jackie D,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us. Your kind words about the service we provide are deeply appreciated. We take great pride in creating an awesome Bohol Beach Holiday getaway to our guests. It's wonderful to know our efforts are paying off. Surely, I will be sharing your positive feedback to the rest of the departments to continue strive for excellence.

Thank you, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

My partner and I have just got back from a two week diving holiday in the Philippines, 1 week in Bohol and 1 week in Malapascua. We opted for luxury in Bohol, hence our stay with South Palms. The resort is truly beautiful, they spend hours keeping the beaches and grounds pristine with their army of gardeners! No one would be disappointed with the facilities and grounds, stunning. White sands (after they've moved the seaweed), beautiful palms, a beach front room is a must! The rooms are also beautiful, clean and well maintained, loved the front veranda! There was a strange smell to the pillows however and the showers are pretty weak, I ended up sitting on the floor using the taps to rinse my hair! The staff are absolutely lovely, especially Mark the waiter and Cindy on front desk. Although they always have smiles on their faces and the most polite and friendly demeanours, sometimes the little things were responded to robotically and it was a little frustrating getting a resolution to the few issues we encountered ( our room phone would not let us make outside calls due to a technical issue but when we enquired about this and asked if would place a local call from the front desk, we frustrating were told numerous times "it would be better to call from our room as there would be a charge...." Yes but we couldn't call from our room and this seemed to not be understood). I also asked for a nail file to save my divers nails and was met with blank faces and "no mam". Just to try to locate one would of been appreciated. We ordered a plate of French fries on the first day which we received, but on the third day when we tried to order this again we got a "no mam, sir, you can order this as a side order to a main meal only".
The food was below par, the quality varied from night to night, not much consistency with the preparation. I have a feeling food would be better during high season as it seemed budget for the buffet was on a shoe string.
We dived with their in house Dive shop Green Emerald Divers. Jeff our local Dive Master was incredible and really looked after us, advising us on the best dive sites (Balicasang) and we had all great dives with him! Jenna at the dive shop desk and the boat crew were also great. The dives were fab but having also dived at other places in the Philippines, the prices for dives were extortionate! Especially the Whale Shark encounter which worked out at around 250USD per person for quite a crowded experience! I'm pretty sure the dive masters and crew don't really see a lot of this money either which is a great shame.
Whilst going in low season ensures a quite peaceful resort, it also means the hotel will be doing annual maintenance (noisy), staff training and seem to try and cut back on their overheads. Next time I visit Bohol, I would be curious to see what the other, lesser starred hotels have to offer as the value for money wasn't fantastic for a five star resort. A beautiful place with lovely staff and a good experience neither the less.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brixpat

Hi Brixpat,

We appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with us. Although we regret the fact that your expectations were not met, we acknowledge the opportunity you have given us to improve. Rest assured that your comments and suggestions has been shared to the concerned department to take appropriate actions.

Thank you very much and we hope you'll give us the opportunity to serve you better.

Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

We didn't book this resort in advance we were just combing for places to stay and we fell in love with this place. Their lobby rep was very attentive she showed me what the rooms look like so I can pick which ones I like. Since I was a walked in I paid the premium and I pick the sea view room it was expensive 19k per night plus another 5k I had to add on because we have extra adults with us. The rooms were clean and roomy. The bathroom is especially spacious with a separate tub. The shower was great. The living room is a good size and the view from our room was priceless. The beach is clean and so clear. When it was low tide we found lots of kinds of fishes we didn't need snorkel because we can see coral reef with bunch of fishes like nemo all over. Our package came with free breakfast and dinner. Our first dinner somehow the food didn't taste good. Breakfast was average with several selections. The good thing is you have a good view from the resto. On Fridays they have live band. They have three pools one infinite and one kiddie pool. The whole place is colorful and lively. Wifi is free although because we were far from the lobby area it sometimes gets slower. But I love where our room was because it was quite. The closer u are to the lobby the noisier because they have bands playing every night by the beach. Kids really enjoyed both the beach and pools. I love how they well maintained the place. The only thing I didn't like was their lobby. It was too hot and there were no fans at all. They also provide free shuttle to and from the airport. For lunch we went to alona beach which is about 15min drive. I would stay here again especially if the price drops.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank maharlikah2
Sales and Marke... S, Sales and Marketing Staff at South Palms Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2014

Hi maharlikah2,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Our foremost priority is to serve our guests with total satisfaction and we are overjoyed to hear that you definitely enjoyed your Bohol beach holiday getaway with us. Your recognition and appreciation means a lot to us. Rest assured that it will surely motivate us to continue serve with integrity and compassion.

Again, thank you very much and we can't wait to welcome you back.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

I think this is a new resort and it is beautiful. Service was fabulous. However the resort is far away from stores, restaurant's and shopping so everything was very expensive. Food, tours, water, drinks. Even had to pay extra for mixers for adult drinks. The food was good and the breakfast buffet was very nice. Suggest getting the breakfast and dinner options included with room. You can also walk to the resort next door as they have good food and reasonable prices.

Room Tip: From what I observed all of the rooms are nice.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bob M

Hello Bob M,

Thank you for sharing your Bohol beach holiday experience with us. We are overjoyed to know that you appreciated our resort and services. It is truly a pleasure to read positive feedback from our guests. Surely, we will continue our mission of giving our guests the way a Bohol beach holiday should be.

Thank you very much and we look forward in welcoming you back the second time around.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Location is great especially if you're on the beachfront. There are more sea urchins on the premium beachfront. Pools are also well-maintained. The pool in front of the resto seem to be heated at night very comfortable and relaxing. View, location, and amenities are great. But the food and service are quite disappointing. The kitchen should have better quality control, based on their mistakes it seems like they don't have standards in this aspect. Same with room service. Be very clear with your orders, requests, and schedules. The staff are friendly but very laid back. They miss appointments, and fail to inform when outside vehicle services arrive to fetch you. Give detailed instructions for room service/make-up services especially throwing empty containers, replacing used glasses and containers. Turndown service available but hit and miss also.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank J R

Hi J R,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your feedback. You certainly made some very good observations. Although regret lays over us. we appreciate the opportunity you have given us to improve. Surely your comments will be forwarded to the departments concerned to take immediate actions. Again, thank you very much for your concern, and we apologize for any undue stress this may have caused you.

We hope to see you again and be given the chance to serve you better.

Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

Our stay in South Palms Resort didn't actually start out right. While the welcome greetings (with cold towels and refreshing drinks) were warm, we've been told that two of the three rooms we've booked aren't yet ready when we came (which surprised me tremendously since I've made the reservation like a couple of months in advance). One wasn't cleaned up yet and the other had an electrical issue. This pissed me a lot more because we actually came 30mins past 2. For roughly 90mins we were crammed to a single room- and we have a lot of stuff with us. So to let loose of my bad mood I decided to take a walk towards the beach, and boy was I stunned! The sea is just awesome, its sapphire color really made a very good contrast to the powdery white sands of the beach. The rest of the resort was tastefully designed- from the youthful colors of the bean bags scattered on the beach and pool area, to the open restaurant and infinity pool. The rooms have this modern touch, and very cozy. We never ran out of things to do esp since they have a gym, a tennis court and indoor recreation (billiards, table tennis and foosball). And true to its words, they have the longest beachfront in Panglao. Later that night we had our ala carte dinner in the restaurant and we absolutely enjoyed the food. The next day was my father's birthday and we had a cake served during our buffet breakfast, plus the staff surprised us when they all sing "Happy Birthday" to my father. We had our island hopping tour after that (which couldn't be more awesome) and when we came back, I checked with the reception if they could grant us late check out of 2pm (esp with what happened when we checked in), to which they obliged. So overall our stay was very good and the family definitely enjoyed. I still recommend this resort if you're planning to visit Panglao.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank sgt_sid16
Sales and Marke... S, Sales and Marketing Staff at South Palms Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2014

Hello sgt_sid16,

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay at South Palms Resort Panglao. We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed the longest white sand beach in Panglao Island. We hope that you get the chance to stay and relax in our resort. Thank you very much and see you soon!