“meh- brown out”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Panglao Island
Alona Studios Hotel
Ranked #46 of 50 Hotels in Panglao Island
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Pros: The place is cheap and very spacious. It included two beds, a small kitchen, a small living area and balcony overlooking the pool. Its very quiet. The receptionist are accommodating. Very smooth transaction with checking in and out.

Cons: Far from the beach and they need to put more lights along the pathway so people can easily see which way to go back; so many dogs; they dont clean the room every day; they dont change towels everyday; They dont inform the guest that there´s gonna be a black out every saturday morning in bohol and so it ruined our morning as theres no electricity. And as an effect of the blackout, theres no water in the shower, no cold water in the refrigerator and the room got so hot because theres no ac.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank agatha-haynes

Reviewed February 10, 2012

This has been the worst hotel experience I've ever had. After accidently overflowing the water in the sink on the floor, the hotel owner claimed that we owed him thousands of dollars in water damage even before stepping into our room. He claimed that we damaged the furniture, tiles, caused his water pump to break, and septic tank to overflow when none of this was true. He made up all these expenses that we had to pay and threatened us by saying that he will call the police and that we can't leave the country unless we pay him. He also had security guards holding rifles in these arguments that we had with him. We booked the hotel for 6 nights, this happened on the second night and we decided to leave the next morning because we didn't feel safe with his lies and threats. When we tried to check out, he handed us a bill for $22 000 and of course, we refused to pay. We had to call the police and embassy to help us and an investigation was done. In the end, we didn't have to pay him anything because we didn't cause any damage in the first place. This hotel owner ruined our whole vacation and we had to find a new hotel to stay at for the remainder 4 nights. The hotel owner probably thought that my friend and I were easy targets because we are two young females. I highly advise everyone to NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!! The hotel owner will try to scam you into paying for his run-down hotel! Plus the rooms are not cleaned properly, sometimes there's no water coming out, and they don't have proper bedsheets and blankets.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
14  Thank Linda T
Reviewed January 24, 2012

No cleaning, The towels stink and The "kitchen" is just a sink with only a small refridgerator. if you live in The standard rooms you'ro going The hear The roosters from 5am... The beds are Stone Hard, The curtains is not long enough. Because of The bad cleaning The rooms stink as well. If you ask for toilet paper it takes them two-Three days to fix it, if you dont fix it by yourself. If you despite our advice live here youve got some great beaches in Walking distances. If you Walk through hennan hotel and say to The guard that you want
To rent sunchairs(500php wich you can eat in there restaurant for) youll get to a great beach. You can also rent a cab (300php) to bohol beach club resort and get to The best beach, it's beatiful!!

• Stayed: January 2012
5  Thank Arvid A
Reviewed November 19, 2011

I travelled with my family just last week. I reserved the room through email a month earlier and Michael Forsberg (the owner) entertained my request without any problems. They said in their website that the resort is only 5 minutes away from the beach. Yes it's true, but it's still far away. You can walk, but it will take much time.

When we arrived at the hotel, the place was nice. The hotel is still new. The environment is clean, and peaceful (few guests that time). The receptionist is very accommodating, and she provided me with the keys in no time. There is a swimming pool outside. It has clean water, but a very dangerous pool if you are shorter than 5'10" because there is no warning that the floor of the pool has deep steps. A person actually in danger of drowning the time I am resting beside the pool. The place I think is secured. There is a security guard guarding the area.

The rooms are great, just like what they have shown in the pictures. Large enough for a family of 4. But when we arrived, there are no towels present and we have to request for one, which they complied immediately. There are no toiletries, so you have to bring your own. The bathroom is big enough to be comfortable. Water is strong and clean. The hotel rate does not include breakfasts, but you can order from them starting from 7 a.m. onwards (all-day breakfasts).

The only negative I could see is that it is far away from the beach where all the restaurants and restobars are located. You have to ride a tricycle (15 pesos per person per ride) or rent a motorcycle (300 pesos per day) to go to the beach immediately.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel. You get more value relative to what you paid for (they offer one of the cheapest rates in the area). The rooms are great, and the people are very accommodating.

Room Tip: Reserve at least a month before travelling through email or phone to get the best room available.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank MBonus
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We stayed at the biggest of the two compounds for 5 nights.

The rooms were clean and very spacious, but you shouldn't expect any luxury. As we traveled in a large group, we booked several rooms in this hotrl and it looked like the furniture changed from room to room, so that you can't really know what to expect from your room by seeing the uploaded pictures.

The location of the resort is very calm, as it is about 10mins away from the beach. However, the 'road' accessing the hotel is in very bad shape. If you stay there off season, you risk to get wed and muddy feet on you're way to the hotel! Furthermore, there are almost no lights on the way, which could make the trip a bit spooky for some people. I recommend to take a ride with a tricycle as it is cheap and takes you there in only two minutes (including dry feet).

The rest of the group stayed at the hotel just at the corner of the street giving to alona studio hotel which looked nicer than ours (better pool, restauration etc...)

• Stayed: October 2010
3  Thank LionRouge
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Booked this place online through e-mail, no reservation fee required and we paid upon check-out. The reservation staff are very helpful and patient in answering all my queries and in providing everything I asked for like rates and packages.

The room is really clean from one corner to another. Feels like your still at home because the room has a kitchen, small dining area for 2, huge and spacious cabinets, utensils are provided as well as an electric kettle and refrigerator.

I was able to sleep well eventhough the pillows provided are too thin and beds are a bit hard. We booked the Deluxe rooms with a queen size bed but in reality it has 2 single beds put together. The double extra beds are like 3-inch thick and single extra beds are like 4-inch thick. Towels are also provided which is a plus for me since I hate bringing bulky towels on my luggage. The water supply is perfectly fine, shower water gets warm in less than a minute.

Walk time to the beach is really 10 minutes. You can ride a tricycle for Php20.00. The staff is willing to let you borrow the motorcycle if you will need to buy something for about 30 minutes. They charge Php300/day.

The pool is great and WiFi is awesome!

Evrything else is okay during our stay except that when we check-out, a staff said that the hot shower handle is broken (DELUXE room D-2) and that we need to pay for it or the hotel we charge it to them. We didn't bother since we want to check-in at the airport in time for our flight back to Manila but what if it's already broken, right?

Book your island tour elsewhere. Theirs may be cheap but not worth it.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank sunlust
Reviewed March 13, 2011

I just got back from a 3-day stay at Alona Studios Apartment Hotel. We were a group of 8 and we got two family rooms. The hotel has two compounds and we stayed at the bigger compound.

The hotel is typical of the backyard resorts in the Philippines. Don't expect a luxurious hotel. The rooms have the basic necessities like bathroom, one queen size bamboo bed with 3-inch foam mattress and a double-deck wooden bed. It also has a small kitchen with an electric kettle, ref, kitchen sink and some utensils. We also found an electric water dispenser but we never got to use it. The aircon was a 3/4 hp Condura aircon which was too small for the room. Fortunately, the weather was cool outside and the room got cold enough at night. It could be worse during summer.

On our first night, some of us were not able to take a shower because there was no water. I notified the girl at the reception and promised that someone will check the rooms. No one came. I notified the guy at the bar and he was no help either. I notified the guard and he didn't even care. My friend got fed up and went to see Michael, the owner of the hotel. It was only after someone angry complained about the water supply that we got the water in the bathroom. We demanded that they give us a pail and tabo and supply of water. We used the pail to get water from the pool to flush the toilet.

The next day and until today, the resort still had no water supply. We were able to take a shower when we got home in Manila.

They don't serve food unless you ask them to order food from other resorts.
WIFi connection was flaky. I was unable to connect to WiFi. Fortunately, someone brought his SmartBro MyFi.
We asked the hotel to arrange for a van to pick us up at Tagbilaran airport. They confirmed that someone will be waiting for us at the airport at 12pm. When I called the hotel last Friday to inform them that our flight was delayed, I was informed that no van is available. If I didn't call, I wouldn't know that no one would pick us up. I told them that I arranged for the van two weeks before our arrival. Luckily, the van showed up.

We don't mind that the hotel is in the middle of a forest, the beach is 15 minutes away by foot and the hotel not as luxurious as Shangri-la. What really irked us was the service provided by the hotel. The staff didn't care that we had no water in the bathroom. We had to demand the hotel to provide us with water.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends