See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 18, 2012

When I read the reviews about this hotel my friends and I already booked. I was really worried that we might get the same treatment or experience. Luckily, we didn't. Ours is a pretty good deal. We booked thru their website. Our Package includes, Airport Transfers, Daily Breakfast(buffet), and a Tour. They also have other options. But we ran out of time. So we had to choose Package A. Or was is B. Anyways, our package was all worth it.

Back to our room, we got a Deluxe, because they are fully booked that time, still ok though. Quiet place, at night they have a band that performs for those guests who are eating. but mind you, Their food is a bit pricey for me. They have a dampa style of cooking, but they also serve cooked food. I mean those you can find in a regular restaurant menu. Plus they have free wifi in the restaurant,and there only. A bottle of water costs, 30. So if given a chance, but a lot of drinks outside. Even food, on our 2nd night after our tour, my friends and I just decided to buy Roasted chicken.

Our tour, we were lucky we had one of the best tour guide we ever met. He is one of the drivers of the resort ofcourse. He is a good driver, photographer and also has a good sense of humor. Our own private van and a cool driver, what else do we need?

Once of the nicest beach front I've ever seen, I will definitely come back to this resort. I also recommend to others. Staffs are good to us, always smiling and I guess that's all we needed to have fun in Bohol. :)

Room Tip: Deluxe room was great but I can also consider the standard one next time. Much cheaper.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We were hesitant to book this resort due to the bad reviews we have been reading here and in other forums, however, due to the supposedly good location and the reasonably-priced packages they offer, we took the risk.

LOCATION: The risk was well worth it. We wanted a location that was peaceful and serene and this is just the place (compared to Alona beach where the parties are). Even though we arrived at the resort late in the afternoon and it was at a very low tide, the beach was still great (careful of sea urchins farther out into the sea, though) and the sand is fine.

SERVICE: For a middle-range resort, the services being offered by Dumaluan's staff are average. Their drivers were very courteous. When we were booking the accommodation, however, (through emails) there were some emails which were rude. Some correspondences, on the other hand, were also polite. We believe there were some staff who are not well-trained or had serious attitude problems.

PRICE: I believe they offer one of the most reasonable prices in Panglao.

FOOD: Breakfast was so-so. We had our dinners at Dumaluan 1 (some of the waitresses of which look like they really hate their job) because the food there was delicious and way cheaper than those in Dumaluan 2.

ROOM: We booked a Deluxe Room. It was clean, smelled nice and was ideally located (near the pool and the beach, ground floor). The television was new, but some channels were not clear (maybe the fault of the cable provider?). No telephone in room

OVERALL: Dumaluan is worth the price. It may have some bad reviews, but some good stuff about it like the location, some courteous employees and the clean room make up for it. Oh, by the way, they picked us up on time at the Tagbilaran port and drove us to the port on our departure date (5:30 AM). The van was new. =)

Room Tip: Choose a deluxe room. =) The prices are not that expensive. Also, request for a room near the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We pre-booked the most expensive room thinking it would be the best. If it is, then the whole place is a nightmare.

The room was musty when we arrived. There were ants everywhere, and stains on the bed sheets. The staff swept the floor three times within the first five minutes but ants kept appearing out of nowhere. After calling the attention of the staff several times, we decided to ask for the manager. They said only the HR manager was around. Then later, the receptionist arrived claiming HR has left and the manager is in Cebu. Calling on Rachel Dumaluan, manager. Please check on your staff especially housekeeping.

Room Tip: Do NOT check in! We got the most expensive room and it was full of ants, the bed sheet is stained. Do a day trip instead. The beach was beautiful.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank lakwatsera38
Reviewed June 7, 2012

we stayed for 2 nights.... Staffs upon our arrival were a little friendly, needs more training. Our room was beside the pool and a few steps to the white beach. Cr was smelly i think coming from the drainage, plenty of mosquitoes inside which was annoying. Tired of going to the information area to request for change of towels, tissue etc coz they dont have a phone . Management must do something about this. Breakfast(free) was somewhat good... food in their restaurant was yummy but a little pricy ...What was exciting was the nice white beach which was just near our room. Country side tour on our second day was very thrilling ... my son really enjoyed it!..... By the way they allowed us to check in early....thank you!

Room Tip: always close the door of your room or else mosquitoes will invade your room. Dont forget to bring mosquito repellent!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank neobong
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I was there with my balikbayan relatives (uncle, aunt, cousin and me) so there were 4 of us on this trip. This was the first stop of the Visayas tour with Bohol-Cebu-Boracay on the itinerary. We were there last April 14-16. It was our first time in Bohol and we wanted to stay in the quiet side of Panglao, so I chose Dumaluan because it is the most reasonably priced resort in the area (the other resorts in the area were Bohol Beach Club & Eskaya).

Reservation:
I had a hard time calling Dumaluan. You should really be extra patient when calling them through cellphone or better yet spend on long distance calls to reach their landline. It also took a long time for them to reply to emails. Website is also not updated so don’t rely on the rates posted there. It’s better to confirm everything with them.

I initially reserved for the 3D2N package on their website and was asking for a room recommendation for 4, they suggested an Executive Double Room. After getting information that the countryside tour will be on the 2nd day, we decided to book just the room. We’ll be getting a separate countryside tour to save time because we’ll be arriving early anyway. After depositing a 50% down, I didn’t receive any voucher or contract. I just got an SMS saying we need to bring the deposit slip upon check-in. We thought everything was already settled.

Arrival:
Upon arrival in Bohol, we proceeded with the countryside tour, which I’ve arranged separately (Call RJ if you need a car or tour in Bohol: 0917-3245488). The tour started when we arrived (around 9am) and lasted the whole day. On our way to the resort, our driver was giving us tips and telling us a brief history of the resort (we were very lucky to have this information before arriving). The compound of Dumaluan Beach Resort (DBR) comprises of 2 resorts: DBR 1 (older, owned by the ex-Mayor, has cottages for local day-trippers, has DBR grill where food is 50% cheaper than DBR2 and sari sari store as well) and DBR 2 (newer, owned by the daughter, has a fish spa, restaurant, pool and new building where the rooms are).

Check In:
We arrived and checked in at around 7pm. As I approached the front desk and showed my deposit slip, email correspondences, etc, I noticed there was a commotion when they heard my name. Apparently, they didn’t know we had cancelled the package tour component of our booking. Luckily I printed out the emails to prove that I cancelled it and they acknowledged my cancellation. The attendant said maybe the list on hand was not updated. Anyway, when that was settled, the front desk people were still whispering, I didn’t bother because I just wanted to finish checking in so we can have dinner because we were very tired & hungry. Finally we were given a key to what they called SAM room and they told us it was beachfront. While walking to the room, I realized we were walking away from DBR2 (the newer resort) and we were walking towards DBR (the old resort owned by the mother). The room was located at a very dark area next to the cottages for the local day-trippers. It was really far from DBR2 which was where we booked.

Moreover, the room was really small! It looked like the standard room and not the executive double room on the website! With our luggage in the room, there was no space for the additional beds for the 2 extra people. And to our surprise, it was not even a bed but just a 3-inch thick mattress!!! We could have just brought our own sleeping bags. My relatives complained that we were given a motel room for the price of a hotel room. It was P4,300 a night, almost $100!! We went back to the front desk to complain and to request for a transfer to the REAL Executive Double Room or a transfer to a room that could fit 4 people comfortably. It seemed like they were expecting us to come back because when we told her about the room assigned to us, the attendant (Georgie if I remember her name correctly) quickly made a call. What we hated was that before attending to our request, she confirmed the booking of another client then told us that the room good for 4 people is not available anymore. How frustrating!! Apparently they have an Executive Family room (good for 4 – 2 queen beds) but they recommended Executive Double room (good for 2) to us with price difference of only P400!!! We were so frustrated that we wanted to leave the resort and look for another place to stay but we had no choice because we had no car and we were not familiar with Panglao. To make us quiet, they offered their Deluxe Beachfront Room with 1 queen bed & STILL 2 mattresses because they ran out of beds, which was now located in DBR2 (the new building) and we’ll be upgraded to a Family room the next day with additional P400. Seemed like we were left with no choice, if we wanted to sleep that night. Tired and hungry (it was already 8pm) to argue that night, we accepted what they offered. The new room was 3x bigger than the SAM room but the curtains were too narrow to fit the windows that people outside can see us!!!! So frustrating!! What we appreciated the most was the housekeeping staff named Nikki. He was very helpful to us!! He said the resort should not have given the SAM room to us and it’s not what we’ve booked. He helped us transfer to the new room which was at the opposite end of the SAM room, he fixed the curtains with pins so we can’t be seen outside, and he even fixed our mattress problem by stacking 3 mattresses together instead of just 1 to make us feel comfortable. Thank God for Nikki. Throughout our whole stay we only requested things from Nikki. The next day we didn’t change rooms anymore because we have already settled in and unpacked our things and the new room is located on the 3rd floor plus the stairs was slippery when wet. My uncle gave Nikki a fat tip in USD that day so perhaps that’s the reason why the other staff became attentive to our needs and even folded the fresh towels and blankets into swans and flowers when they cleaned our room that day. Hah!!

The rooms and bathrooms need to be upgraded as well. At the rate they're charging, tourists need better rooms and bathrooms. The shower needs to have a curtain or an enclosure as well, it was difficult to take a bath. We floor ended up wet and slippery all the time. Shower knobs were broken too. The ref and TV in the room were also not working and there was no phone so you had to walk to the front desk every time you need something. Our room was supposedly P5000 a night! Crazy!!!

What made up for this bad experience was the beach. The beach was just a few steps away! The water was very clear, shallow and not too salty. The sand was not as fine and white as Boracay’s but it was ok. Only bad thing was a few parts of the shoreline had crushed corals and shells so it hurt our feet when we got in and out of the water. There was also a hammock right outside our room and the guard was just outside the whole time. The buffet breakfast was just okay. No fresh fruits were served but they were displayed and by ala carte order. Food in the resto is good but prices are same as restos in Manila.

Overall, we felt that Dumaluan is really just for local tourists for now. They are not yet ready for foreign tourists who would expect real service. Yes, Bohol’s beach is great but you’ll get that in Boracay too. Boracay is still the better option for Balikbayans and foreigners.

Room Tip: Call the landline number to get quick response. Upon booking, request for a room number to ensure you get the room that you paid for. Request for rooms on the ground floor, the stairs are slippery when wet. Eat at DBR Grill but you'll get tired of the food there if you'll be staying for 3 days and service is super slow so order early. Food in the DBR2 restaurant is good but be prepared to spend.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family