“A little gem”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alicedale
Addo Reach and Hein's Cottage
Ranked #1 of 1 Alicedale B&B and Inns
“A little gem”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed with Eli and John in March, and were treated to fantastic hospitality with lovely accommodation. We have been visiting Alicedale for the past 10 years - normally staying at Bushman Sands Hotel, but Addo Reach is a much more friendly and more comfortable. We didn't want to leave. Eli and John are the perfect hosts and lovely people.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed April 19, 2014

My boyfriend, Peter and I, stayed at Addo Reach from 24 to 26 Feb 2014, so that we could visit the Addo Elephant Park. We were blown away by the great hospitality of John and Eli, who made sure that we felt at home there. The bed was so comfortable that we didn't feel like leaving it. The bath in the bathroom was lovely. The breakfast and dinner prepared by Eli were sumptuous and of generous portions! Peter and I were very delighted with the picnic lunch thoughtfully assembled by Eli, for our 1-day visit of Addo Elephant Park. We were also surprised that the food and drinks were very reasonably charged. Coupled with the great service, it was definitely a value-for-money B&B to stay in.

I'm a Singaporean, and was glad to be able to share snippets of Singapore with John, Eli and Gran, who had stayed in Singapore for a short while. We had lots of fun chatting over drinks. I was sad to leave Addo Reach, but will definitely go back there again to stay and catch up with them!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Judy L
Denbigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Whilst travelling in South Africa last month with a friend I was lucky enough to stay in Alicedale at Eli & Johns place. Lucky for me because my friend had stayed there before and knew we would be in good hands - however nothing had prepared me for the level of care and hospitality which I was to experience. The welcome we received was both warm and genuine and from that first moment we were looked after as though we were V.I.P's (something I could easily get used to!!). Nothing was too much trouble and both Eli and John went over and above the call of duty to ensure our visit to Alicedale was perfect in every way.
The highlight of the visit there was however for me, the drive from their home through what I now call "The Real Africa" to Addo. During this memorable journey we were transported through the geography books of my childhood to the reality of this fascinating Eastern Cape where the Tumbleweed runs freely, - the "Nguni" cows command right of way when crossing roads - "Springbok" dance as freely in the fields as do our lambs at home, and numerous other delights which we would never have experienced had we stayed in the nearby Addo town. This leisurely drive was a wonderful introduction to the delights we were to then enjoy during our tour around a section of the huge National Park (which stretches to the coast line and boasts the approximate size of Wales,) and where we saw numerous animals in their national habitat. (Elephants, Zebras, Lions, Giraffes, Dung-beetles, Red Hartebeests, Warthogs, Impala, to name but a few). However their was an unexpected pleasure to follow :- the return journey - which was a time to savour and digest the delights of our day as we once more meandered peacefully through the magnificent country-side back to our little piece of heaven, "Addo Reach" and to John's welcoming bar, Eli's fabulous cooking, and a wonderful nights sleep between cool crisp cotton sheets. What more can I say other than if - and hopefully I will, ever return to that part of the world, I shall be booking in early to ensure I can return also to my new friends Eli and John. I highly recommend you search them out, you will not be disappointed and if you do visit them, please give them my love!

Room Tip: In The case of Addo Reach there aren't any tips needed as everything has been thoroughly researc...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Moira I
Eli K, Owner at Addo Reach and Hein's Cottage, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Good morning!! You brought quite a tear to our eye and thank you for your generosity .... we enjoyed your company too, and look forward to your success in persuading 'your man' to venture to this beautiful part of our wonderful country in the not too distant future! All the warmest, Eli and John and Gran sends wishes too.
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed here for a golfing weekend with the family. Would highly recommend Eli's place. So much atention 2 detail and everything has been thought of. Enjoyed a few drinks and a nice chat at John's bar. Cherry on top was the lovely mince pies Eli made us for padkos. We will be back :-)

Room Tip: Please ignore coments on pool and fitness centre as there are none but i couldnt remove the comments...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Vanessa P
Donegal Town, Ireland
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We were lucky enough to stay at Addo Reach recently when touring with my family in South Africa. My sister had stayed there before and raved about it and she was completely right. From the minute we arrived to a much need cold drink to the minute we left it was just perfect. We stayed in Hein's cottage their self catering unit though we had breakfast in the house each day. The cottage was just wonderfull. We had a lovely sitting room and huge bedroom and bathroom. There was a great little private terrace outside with a built in BBQ and Eli and John organised 'braai packs' for us each evening with fantastic meats and salads, though John had to show us how to the light the thing the first time. Little silver coloured monkeys came to our terrace and birds with the most beautiful plummage. The high light of our trip was to go Addo with John as our guide. Eli prepared a picnic feast for us and John got us really up close to lots of Elephants and other beasts. He has a wealth of local knowledge. Addo is a little way from Alicedale but we saw some wondeful animals on the way including some giraffe right up next to the road. We also went to the Bornfree Foundation just a few minutes away. I don't know which I'll remember most, Eli's wonderful breakfasts with freshly baked muffins and fruit we never get to see in Ireland and the wonderful hospitality or just quaint little Alicedale with it's freindly locals who wave happily as we passed by. This was truely the highlight of our trip and all i say is JUST GO!. Thanks so much Eli, John and the gang. I hope we'll return someday. The kavanaghs, Donelgal Ireland.

Room Tip: If travelling as two couple one should take the cottage
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ann K
Denbigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Returning to Addo Reach has been to highlight of this visit to South Africa. We love SA in general and adore the Cape and Cape Town but never feel we're in real Africa till get up to Alicedale. We found these guys by accident a few years ago and really enjoy their insider knowledge and advice when we visit. We stayed for four days this time and still could have stayed longer. Alicedale is a quiet African town not to far from the wonderful Addo Ellies but full of it's own surprises. We saw giraffe as we arrive just up near the road looking at us as if to say welcome back. The silver monkeys were on the back patio but scamper as soon as we went out and the flowers and jacaranda trees were just stunning. This time we found the time to visit the Born Free foundation which is literally five minutes from the house. We also when to Grahamstown on the back road........great fun, but for the wonderful things locally the best is absolutely the hospitably. The house is so warm and welcoming as are our hosts. We loved the decor and style. The other thing which is really important is this age of recession is the value for money. I just don't know how they do it but we really had five star quality for 2 star prices. The breakfast is astounding with loads of fresh fruit, juices, cereals, wonderful bread and a great cooked breakfast
and yes we did managed it everyday of our stay but it meant we didn't need much for lunch. We were travelling with friends who stayed in the cottage and Eli organised BBQ packs and lovely salad's for us to we could do our own thing in the evening but still be spoilt at breakfast. It's worth the trip off the beaten track to see wild but safe Africa and to get a feel for South Africa's gentler side. We wandered down the main street, chatted to the locals, drove up to the dam but unfortunately this time we didn't see the hippo but we saw him last time. Called to the Mall!( a little shop run by a Chinese family) Had a drink in the pub and Eli make us a super picnic which John organised for us when he drove us into Addo. He really should be a ranger. Thank you so much yet again for your hospitality. It may be a few years but we'll be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank TheSykes
Liebefeld, Switzerland
Reviewed November 18, 2012

This is a wonderful place, Golf Course at Bushman's Sand is in walking distance; Addo Elephant Parc in a reasonable distance!
Eli and John are warm and nice hosts! We really could enjoy the time we spent at this family home. You will like home.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Addo Reach and Hein's Cottage? Share your experiences!