As an Australian, Glenfinnan House Hotel is how I imagined a Scottish country hotel would be. Full of character, dark paneled wood, fire places, vases of flowers, a cozy bar. We booked a two nighstay, our first room on the 1st floor front, over looked the Lock, with wonderful views of the mountains and water. Spacious, light, good bed and bathroom. Nice welcoming touches, such as chocolates and fruit. Bathroom, good, but a long wait for hot water to reach the shower head, and then not hot.
Second night we were required to change rooms due to a prior booking for the front room, and we were perfectly happy to do that... However we were moved into what we called "a shoe box", a big bed and no room. So much so that we knee copped our selves every time we went to the bathroom, due to the distance between the end of the bed and a wardrobe, and our luggage was stacked one on top of another so that we could get in and out of the room, which meant that a lot of it ended up on the bed. Again the shower lacked hot water, although the bath and basin were o.k? What really interested us was that there was only a £10.00 price difference between these rooms?
My other comment is that coming in the main hotel door from the porch for the two days we were there the lobby smelt very strongly of fish. I know this is a kitchen issue, but it deffinately takes the gloss of the Bonnie Prince Charlie image!
The food was fine, breakfast good, dinner good, the waiting staff good, management staff tense.
Best of all....the music.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of the Scottish Highlands, Glenfinnan House Hotel is a beautiful 18th century pine-panelled mansion house situated in its own grounds overloooking Loch Shiel, Ben Nevis and the Glenfinnan Monument.This award-winning establishment, renowned for its fine cuisine and hospitality, has something to offer everyone; from a quiet retreat or romatic break, a walking/cycling/sightseeing holiday,the celebration of an idyllic wedding or the simple enjoyment of a delicious meal.Four poster suite, four poster bedroom, family suites are available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Glenfinnan House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Glenfinnan Hotel Fort William
- Glenfinnan House Hotel Scotland