“Truly amazing experience. We can't wait to go back!”

Yaraks Birds Of Prey Falconry Centre
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Cullompton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Please note: Yarak is NOT open as a walk in Public Visitor Centre. Yarak birds of prey is a stand alone privately owned specialist Bird of Prey Centre which concentrates on hands on experiences for people wishing to handle and fly birds of prey and learn about them all in a totally private environment.The centre is run by experienced professional falconers that really care about their birds and customers. All the birds here are classed as "family" and are treated with a huge amount of respect and want for nothing. All experiences are strictly by appointment only.
devon
“Truly amazing experience. We can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I purchased this for my boyfriend as a birthday gift as he's interested in birds of prey. I'm not into birds myself, but the voucher was for a two day experience for two people, so I went along with him as I thought it might be fun. Boy am I glad that I did! I've been to other attractions with birds of prey before and have always felt a bit let down but this was one of the best experiences of my life and one that I shall never forget.
In the morning we handled several different birds. We were in a small group of about 7 so it felt very personal and we were able to get a lot of hands-on time with the birds and learn a lot about them. I also got a lot of great pictures. Being able to view the birds at such a close proximity was an experience like no other. They are truly beautiful creatures, and hearing some of the stories about what the birds had been through before they were rescued and brought to the center by John was heartbreaking. It is clear that John and Shell care a lot about their birds and it is good to see that the bird's well being always comes first. After handling the birds, we enjoyed a flying display which we also got to take part in.
Lunch was also first class! We both opted for all day breakfasts, and were not disappointed. All the meat and eggs are free range and really tasty! I also recommend trying one of the homemade cakes. I had a chocolate/caramel shortbread and it was yummy.
In the afternoon we flew lots of different birds, including a beautiful barn owl and we also got to feed them. The whole day was so hands-on and was very fun and educational at the same time.
I cannot recommend a Yarak experience more highly. Don't be put off if you're not 'into' birds like I wasn't. I can guarantee that once you've been here, you will have a new found love for them! Both my partner and I are already planning our next visit to Yarak and cannot wait to go back. To John, Shell and Charlie: Thank you for a brilliant, unforgettable day!

Visited May 2013
john P, Owner at Yaraks Birds Of Prey Falconry Centre, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to post your review of Yarak.
We are all glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and enjoyed our birds.
Look forward to seeing you both again in the future.
All the team at Yarak

Saltash, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful Day Out”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Well I really can't think of enough adjectives to fully describe such a wonderful, brilliant experience. The staff, Michelle and Charlotte, both knew all about the birds, and what birds they were. The eagles were full of grace, especially the Chilean Eagle, Meyer. The Falcons were really beautiful as were the Owls. The all day experience was exceptionally good, because after handling the birds, we had the opportunity to fly three British species of birds. This was followed by an great lunch, compliments to John for the food. In the afternoon we handled the Chilean Eagle and we flew a South African Tiger Owl, a Harris Hawk and Buffy the Eagle Owl. A truly wonderful place that I will definitely revisit for another day long experience.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Hugh W
john P, Owner at Yaraks Birds Of Prey Falconry Centre, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Many thanks for your lovely review and the great comments!
We are pleased that you enjoyed your experience with our birds and us.
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
Many thanks from,
The Yarak team.
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“A brilliant day out, friendly staff and stunning birds - Thank you”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

What a fantastic day! I took 5 children aged 7-14, 4 boys and 1 girl! The boys are full of energy but found it so interesting and engaging that they managed to behave (mostly!) for the full 4 hours of our visit. Charlotte did a great job answering all sorts of questions that only children could ask as well as knowing everything that the older children were interested in too. We flew some fantastic owls and watched a brilliant display with the birds flying within a whisper of the top of our heads, it was very exciting to be so close to them and be able to admire them at such close quaters. The centre itself is beautifully laid out, very nicely presented, lovely and clean with great food. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. I highly recommend a trip to Yarak and will be going again when we are next down in Devon. Thankyou for a great day and for helping me out over half term!

Visited May 2013
Thank you for your lovely comments and to know that you enjoyed yourself here at Yarak
Many thank,
The team at Yarak
Exeter, United Kingdom
“One of those I'll-remember-this-forever moments”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I only stumbled on the Yarak website this morning while planning an outing for myself and my eleven year old son, and now I can't quite believe that such a gem exists without everybody talking about it. We arrived hungry, with just the right amount of time to eat some truly delicious food from the cafe before the afternoon flying demonstration started. The food was fresh, locally sourced, free range and very generous. Then we sat completely entranced to watch two amazing owls and a hawk as they flew. When I got up this morning I had no idea I'd be holding a quirky little barn owl on my wrist this afternoon! She even came back a second time to both my son and myself, despite neither of us having any more chicken tidbits; indeed, on her second visit to me I no longer even had the glove, she just came and perched on my knee, a little piece of nature's incredible perfection. Our hosts were superb; everybody we saw at the centre was friendly, polite and professional, and exuded an air of absolute passion for what they do. The flying display was informative and interesting and full of humour. Best of all it is so obvious how well cared for the birds are. The are so absolutely beautiful, it was a privilege to see them at such close quarters and in such a great environment. Thank you to all the team at Yarak, we will definitely be back soon.

Visited May 2013
So glad you all enjoyed yourselves with our birds
Also many thanks for taking the time to post your lovely comments
The Yarak team
South Chard Somerset
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Birds of Prey Falconry Centre”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

A wonderful experience, bought for my Dad for his 76th birthday, lovely to be so close to the birds. Michelle is so informative and certainly knows the birds inside and out! Great time had by all, thanks

Visited May 2013
Thank you for the great comments and for taking time to post them on trip advisor.
Many thanks,