“Worth waiting for”

Merry Harriers
Ranked #2 of 43 Restaurants in Cullompton
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Proprietors John & Lynn Bowen, Head Chef Rob Phillips & Second Chef's Liam Sampson & Chris Phare and all the staff wish you a very warm welcome to the Merry Harriers. We have tried to create a warm, welcoming, traditional Pub atmosphere. We think a Pub should be a Pub - not a restaurant. We pride ourselves on providing well kept Cask Ales, a good selection of quality, moderately priced wines and good home-made Pub Grub. We source our ingredients locally whenever possible. It not only tastes great, it helps to support our local community and to reduce food miles. Thanks to our
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Lovely little pub/restaurant. Their special steak night on Thursday evenings is brilliant value for money with 2 steak meals and a bottle of wine for £20. However as it gets so busy you need to book. Even with booking we still waited 45 minutes for our meal which is too long I think. But the food cannot be faulted.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

My Wife and I were staying at Bickleigh Castle and we read great reviews on Tripadvisor about the Harriers, so we thought we better check it out.

As many others on here have commented, all I can do is agree that "The food and service cannot be faulted".

We were greeted with a warm welcome by John and all his staff and the food was just excellent. The chips, as already rated in these reviews, are well worth the visit.

We don't often come to this part of the world, but we will be recommending Merry Harriers to anyone that will listen (and have already done so in other of my ratings on here) and will definitely be visiting again next time we are down.

Highly recommended A+++

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We live about 4 or 5 miles away and have quite a few pubs to pass before getting to the Merry Harriers but we have become regular customers,(guests), here. The food and service cannot be faulted. We have been coming to this pub for about 10yrs now and are always greeted with a warm welcome by John and all his staff and have never had a suspect meal. The best night we've found is Thursday night as the offer of two steak meals and a bottle of wine for £20.00 great value but the rest of the comprehensive menu is still available. The chips, as already rated in these reviews, are worth the visit alone as is the salard dressing that accompanies the, (local), steaks. My wife and I are fastidious diners and would not have returned regulaly to this hostelry if all was not perfect. Highly reccommended.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Firstly, thank you John for looking after us. We ordered fish and chips and they were fantastic. Really fresh and tasty. For dessert I had treacle and ginger tart with ice cream and husband had custard tart. Both home made and really delicious. Would recommend this pub for friendliness, great staff and super food. We 'will' call in again when next in Devon.

1  Thank pussnoir
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We live locally (within 6 miles) and was looking for a decent pub for a mid week meal. We haven't visited The Merry Harriers for several yeas & after reading the reviews on here we thought we'd give it a try.
Arrived early (6pm) and were quickly greeted by the landlord and sat by the lovely roaring log fire in the bar. Good choice on the menu & specials board & several choices for a vegetarian like me which is always good as always so little on menus for us veggies! Menu isn't fancy - just good, honest homely grub.
Hubby started with the soup & I went for garlic mushrooms on toast. Soup - generous portion and very filling and my mushrooms were SO tasty and well seasoned that I would say it was one of the nicest starters I've EVER had, they came with a lovely little dressed salad garnish.
For main my husband had 3 lamb cutlets/chops on minted mash with a gravy & side dish of vegetables - looked a fine plate of food and he thoroughly enjoyed it and was happily full at the end of his meal.
I went for vegetable lasagne, I opted for a handful of chips instead of garlic bread. You could see the lasagne was home made and actually came out on the plate with the rest of my food and not in one of those annoying dishes when it's so piping hot you need an industrial strength tongue to eat it! As with my starter - my lasagne was delicious, so tasty. Chips were real chunky chips.

We thoroughly enjoyed our evening. Service was attentive & special requests no problem at all. If you're after traditional, home cooked style food in a cosy beam lined pub you won't go wrong here. Prices very reasonable for the quality of the food too.

1  Thank masie