“5 Star Hotel, 3 Star Experience”
Review of Villa Le Maschere

Villa Le Maschere
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Car launch centered on Florence overnighted at Villa Le Maschere, which has a curious edifice reminiscent of a decorated barn. Extremely poor Internet connection meant unable to upload to YouTube and each email took several minute to process. Oddball room had a rickety desk and a big chair but no legroom underneath, so forced to use an armchair and coffee table to work. Drinks on the terrace was understaffed. The meal (stuffed Guinea fowl) was okay, but nothing special. Breakfast was served in some rooms in the labyrinthine rabbit warren of basement that proved difficult to find and required the skills of a pot-holer to emerge from. On this occasion the place promised more than it actually delivered.

Room Tip: I didn't get one so I don't know.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank John L
dadada1, Direttore at Villa Le Maschere, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear Guest,
thank you for the comment on your stay.
Villa Le Maschere has been built in the second half of the sixteenth century. 65 bedrooms and suites all varied in their decoration, fabrics and furnishings. It is one of the most beautiful late Renaissance country homes in Tuscany.
Villa le Maschere after the restoration remain the original structure and it is compressible that is not so easy to move around but in the same time there are a lot of indication to help our guests.
We serve breakfast in the restaurant “Cancello di Ghireto” the motifs of Cancello di Ghireto Restaurant are the green of the fabric, the prints and the floral designs in the great lamps, which re-evoke the romantic park surrounding the Villa. We use the outside terrace when the weather is good. Thank you for the positive comment on the meal at dinner.
Our internet connection is a professional ADSL, 7 mbps/512 kbps.
I hope that you will be back very soon with your family in Villa le Maschere.
Best regards

Danilo D'Angelo

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed here as part of a week long trip in Italy and thought it would be the highlight of our stay. Unfortunately this was not the case!

Straight away I thought the hotel felt cold and pretentious and was trying to be something it is not. The standard rooms are terrible for the money. Our room was small, had no view and there weren't even basic extras such as complimentary water or a turn down service.

Service was incredibly poor for a supposed 5 star hotel. As per an earlier review we were ignored at breakfast and had to get up and ask for drinks etc. On checkout no one even asked if we had a good stay, which frankly we did not.

In summary this hotel needs to get new management and staff and lower prices, as at the minute it is truly awful value for money. Hopefully it could then be worthy of the beautiful building it occupies.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank benn77
dadada1, Direttore at Villa Le Maschere, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear Guest,

thank you for the posting. The guest’s comment help us to improve our service.

I do apologize for the bad experience that you have had in our resort but I am sure that these is only an isolate case. During the summer as in the winter when we have low occupancy our service remain unchanged.

I’d rather to have more information about your stay in order to understand better what has happened so please contact me directly I’m sure that we will be able to satisfy your future expectative.

Looking forward to hearing from you I remain my best regards
Danilo D'Angelo

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed 8 nights and had an uograde to a Junior Suite. This is a first class hotel and the attention of the staff could not be faulted. Breakfast buffet is varied and plentiful. The quality and presentation of dinner was excellent - although the menu is extensive, we would have liked to see some changes in the menu over a period of 8 days.Dining on the terrace on a warm Tuscany evening is magic! The courtesy shuttle to Florence is a bonus. A rental car would be advantageous rather than the very pricey taxis.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed 4 nights at Villa Le Maschere. I booked a Junior Suite which was in chini pavilion The Chini Pavilion is a small building and once was the gardener's house and the carriages. Now it has been restored and is a small residence. This is a reserved, quiet and beautiful. The windows open on to the italian garden.
There is also two swimming pool.
The hotel is in a central location. It is located 35 km from Florence. So I think it is suitable for those who want to relax in a central area and a little away from the bustle of big cities.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We booked this hotel with www.pinhigh.nl and got a fabulous price for this 5 star hotel: fine rooms with breakfast, diner and water en wine included. All this for 1.200 euro's/pp for 7 nights with on top free golf on the Poggio die Medici (normal fee is 78-90 euro's per green fee)
The breakfast is top and the diner only fine food ( try the risotto) Eating in the garden was a true experience.
We loved the hotel which has so much style and nothing is too much.

Room Tip: Ask a room with garden view. But they are all of good quality
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The property was beautiful. I liked the classical exterior with modern interior look. The pool also looked stunning especially in the Tuscan sun. The location was perfect, only if you had a car. The Mall and Florence are less than an hour away. The breakfast was perfect with the yummiest selection including the sweetest melons, paired with the lovely ham and Prosecco. You could also have breakfast under the trees in the courtyard which was really nice. The only complaint was that the aircon was somewhat inadequate, perhaps because of the heat. The windows were strangely positioned and therefore, can't really see the view.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Singap0reTraveller
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My husband and I booked this hotel for several nights on our honeymoon in July.

Jr Suite Room
The check in process was swift. When the hotel manager showed us to our room Junior Suite, I felt it was quite small (for a junior suite) and very empty. That was the biggest problem that I had with this room and with the hotel as a whole. It just felt very empty! Not in terms of occupancy, but in terms of décor choices and furniture positioning.

What creates some confusion regarding the rooms (if you look on the hotel website) is that there is the Main building and the Pavilion, which are both parts of the hotel. It’s not always very obvious which building in the same category would have a better room for you. In the main building there is also the Standard Collection and the Prestige Collection, so rooms of the same category might not look or cost the same.

In any case, our Jr Suite was not 2 floors, as was my impression from the website. It was just 1 room with a bed and a very long empty corridor where one could store luggage, I suppose.

Other Rooms
When we informed the manager that we really disliked the room, he embarked us on a little hotel tour. It was very nice of him to provide us with so many choices! He was aware that it was our Italian honeymoon and clearly wanted us to stay at Villa le M and be happy. So he showed us a variety of rooms in different categories higher than Junior Suite.

All the rooms we’ve seen at Villa Le Maschere had some unusual design elements, such as a free-standing bed, a bath tub built into the floor, a transparent shower cabin etc. The design solutions were quite unique. The problem was that I didn’t find them appropriate for a honeymoon – rooms felt cold, empty and overly modern. There was no hearty feeling that one would expect staying in Tuscany.

I supposed, one might say that you knew what you were getting into. Right. But when you actually find yourself in the middle of Tuscany, it all feels different.

Spa
As part of the tour, we also went down to the spa area. We really liked the pool, part of which was indoors and part – outdoors. There was also a sauna available. It looked like a very cozy arrangement.

Restaurants
We also took a peek at the restaurant and bar area. While we didn’t get to eat there, I can say that they also looked very modern. I wouldn’t be surprised to find modern cuisine there. The bar looked like a space ship.

Location
Another brief word on the location of the hotel. Barberino di Mugello is really a quaint working class town. I suspect that the inhabitants either work in some local factories or perhaps at the outlet mall. It’s not the kind of town where you would want to go for a romantic stroll in the evening. The plus is that a fantastic outlet mall is nearby: I ended up having a very successful shopping spree there.

Conclusion
In the end, I felt really bad because the manager took quite a lot of time to show us all available options, but we still didn’t like the hotel. Management dealt with the situation very well and we didn’t have an issue with unwanted charges due to a last-minute change of heart. I was grateful for that; it could’ve easily added some negative vibe to the first few days of our honeymoon.

I would like to give a word of warning to the traditionalists like myself. If you like old-style luxury, don’t expect to find old-style luxury, just renovated, here. Although the building itself might be old, from the inside it looks like a Philippe Starck -designed place built just a few years ago. If you, on the opposite, really like modern design, this might be just the place for you.

I also felt that the value was definitely lacking a bit. Even though we were on honeymoon and we were prepared to pay more for a room, if we really liked it, we couldn’t justify the 500EUR+ price tag for some of these rooms.

We ultimately found ourselves at Westin Excelsior in a suite with a view of Arno right in the middle of Florence and thoroughly enjoyed spending several nights there.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barberino Di Mugello
Hotel Barberino
#4 of 5 in Barberino Di Mugello
Meridiana Country Hotel
#1 of 8 in Calenzano

Been to Villa Le Maschere? Share your experiences!