“Very nice... Still few things to improve”
Review of Villa Le Maschere

Villa Le Maschere
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Not far from Firenze the hotel is just located 40 minutes away from the city.
It's a 5 stars hotel, however the service, despite of very nice waiters, is not at the level..
Unfortunately food is really overpriced and I don't recommend it, just prefer going outside, in places where price are more reasonable, not pretending for something they don't deserve.

Rooms are nice, amenities are pretty good, but the state of the walls is not in a very good shape. I found the mattress a bit hard, but it depends on everyone.

Otherwise, the very good point of the hotel is its SPA and swimming pool which are wonderful (Sauna, Hammam, Jacuzzi), the only issue being the overpriced snacking ( like 14€ a panini??!!). When you stay in such a hotel, you'd rather enjoy normal prices (too huge gap between the hotel and the local prices).

There is no "proper fitness centre" (a pity considering the SPA quality), you will find very few instruments working in the middle of a  meeting room with no air conditioning.However you can enjoy the park and have a nice jogging.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
dadada1, Direttore at Villa Le Maschere, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2012

Dear Guest,
thank you for your comment and for the compliment to our Welness Center and waitress.
Your impressions help us to improve our service to satisfy our guest’s expectative.
I’m so sorry to read that your comment is only on the price list of our restaurant and nothing at all about the quality of our gastronomic. The dinner is served on Foggini terrace with a romantic and breathtaking view of the Bilancino lake. You could enjoy the menu of the swimmingpool prepared for a guest who wish to eat on the swiimongpool without move. The fitness center is located in a gallery with air conditioned. It is a workout area with modern equipments, surrounded by the art of Villa le Maschere's “Chini Collection”
Best regards

Danilo D'Angelo

Reviewed July 30, 2012

We have stayed in hotels all over the world and I have never used the word 'perfect' to describe the experience before, but this one was. We stayed for 6 nights towards the end of July to get some R&R and this did the trick. Our superior room in the Chini Pavillion was a good size, very clean and bright and well appointed. Later in the week our 14 year old daughter joined us and the accommodating front desk staff arranged an extra bed in the room, and it was still OK. Food in the Piopponero restaurant was exquisite; so much so that we ate in the hotel every night. Wines were also good with a wide choice and reasonable prices. One night the hotel laid on a buffet of seafood, cold meats, cheeses, pastas etc. The seafood included huge langoustines, fresh oysters, sushi salmon and sashimi tuna. At €35 a head including 2 drinks it was a bargain. Service was excellent - always there if you needed them, the staff were friendly, respectful and helpful. The Wellness Centre was very pleasant with a steam room, sauna and relaxation areas. Treatments were highly professional and reasonably priced for this level of hotel. The free shuttle bus to Florence was another bonus. The front desk also arranged our transfers to Florence airport at €80 in clean air conditioned minibuses. The hotel and grounds are large so there is always somewhere to relax in peace and quiet to enjoy the stunning views of the Tuscan hills. We will return ! !

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Beautiful villa, recently refurbished, nice small pool, pleasant indoor pool with jacuzi.
The dinner on the terrace was wonderful , "apericena"(half dinner half happy hour ) at a reasonable price.
Silent room overlooking the roof and the landscapes. Unfortunately there was only a big shower in the bathroom, we would have preferred a tub. Comfy bed and soft pillows.
Good choice for a couple weekend.
Air conditioning was not adjustable, stays only at 26 Celsius and a lot of light came in the morning from the hall way.

Room Tip: rooms on the second floor of the main villa are very silent
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Checked in expecting a grand Tuscan villa with great food and service - not what I got. The lobby is stunning and the views lovely. The rooms big (I had a prestige suite) but with a tiny bathroom with mould in the shower. The aircon "works" but is simply not sufficient to cool such vast rooms - as someone else said, the system may be set at 18 but the room firmly stays at 25/26.....the cold air from the units is not sufficient. These would be fine if the service and ambience were good - they are not. At dinner I was left sitting there for 10mins before I asked one of the 5 staff standing around if I could have a drink! There were only 3 tables being served!!! The drink came with some stale canapés (some salumi with cheese where the salumi was hard....some cream cheese on stale bread with a bit of fruit stuck on top). I ordered dinner but was not offered wine. I asked for the wine list and only after I'd eaten my starter and requested wine did I get service. Main course was disgusting - worse pasta I've ever had. I had to request some bread. Service once I ordered was so fast - twice I had to stop them removing my half full glass. I arranged a "hotel car" to collect me from the airport ...... This is in fact a dirty minibus and cost me euro200, at this point I already had a sinking feeling. Breakfast was the same awful service - I had to ask 4times for coffee, I had sat there for 15mins, eaten breakfast and no-one even offered coffee. Turndown service - bathrrom left a mess, no clean towels and no water left.I went to the tiny pool area (web pics massively overstate pool area) to just relax and ignore lack of service.....drilling as there are building works in the spa (reception swore works would be finished day before and even have a sign saying this......however drilling continues). Decided to check out early and receptionist doesn't even ask why. Nice hotel that with a decent chef and change of management could be fabulous, based on low number of guests and rapidly declining room rates though I suspect this isn't happening.....

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
dadada1, Direttore at Villa Le Maschere, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Dear Guest,
thank you for the posting. Our guests’ feed-back is important to understand the quality level of our Hospitality Service and work towards the target of excellence.
I have checked carefully with my staff all the details highlighted in your comment.
I do apologize for the bad experience that you have had in our Resort and in particularly in our restaurant Piopponero.
I want to inform you that we have opened onother restaurant in our Resort. The name is Divinvino and it is open three times per week at the same time of Piopponero. In the Divinvino restaurant we propose only simple dishes of Tuscany tradition where the research of authenticity is the basis of proposals.
Unfortunately we have had technical problem in our Welness Center that requested urgent maintenance work that respect scheduled timing and we apologize once again for the inconvenient caused.
I’ sorry that the tournament service didn’t satisfy your expectative. I wish to inform you that as our philosophy is Smile at Planet we don’t change the towels if is not request by the guest using the proper format that is present in each bathroom.

I regret to read that there is no mentioned about the up grade that you have had in junior suite prestige collection where the air-conditioning works in an appropriate manner as in the lobby but when the temperature outside is very hot and the doors open continuously the air-conditioning a little silly.

Our duty manager upon c/out has spoken with your wife. She doesn’t mentioned anything about your stay asking only to not charge the early c/out. We didn’t charge the early c/out at all.

I hope that in the future you will give us the possibility to show you that your last stay in Villa Le Maschere was only an isolated incident and our professionalism can be demonstrated one more time.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to program your next stay in Tuscany I will personally take care of you.

Best Regards

Danilo D'Angelo

Reviewed June 20, 2012

We find the UNA chain a top discovery in Italy . This ia a outstanding hotel . It is a hidden gem close to Firenze . The design just WOW . Experienced it and you will remember it for many years.
We did not visit the restaurant seen several comments . But breakfast is very good.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2012

we found this little gem right outside firenze and we were not disappointed one bit. the free upgrade helped. our room was huge and the service was great. although the villa was quite empty, it helped as it was just right for a peaceful retreat. we were on our honeymoon so we loved the solitude. the hotel has an amazing pool from which you can take a walk into your own private woods where we spotted a deer and a rabbit. gorgeous escape.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2012

The main entrance surprised me. The decoration is amasing and singular. The hotel explores the beauty around its place. The park and the view are awsome. The cooking class was much more than a simple class. They made me feel very very comfortable in that experience and they showed a big entusiam having me there. The staff is very friendly and professionalist, and specially Cristina (the sommellier) and Maximiliano (il chef) were lovely.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Duomo
Hotel Spadai
Hotel Spadai
#4 of 410 in Florence

Been to Villa Le Maschere? Share your experiences!