All reviewspi restaurantformentor beachbeautiful hotelbeach barprivate beachpine treesper daybuffet restaurantrelaxing staya la carte menumain restauranttraditional hotelsea viewhotel guestshire caryear after yeartennis courts
Reviewed August 21, 2010

My wife, two teenage sons and I stayed at this hotel over the end of July and beginning of August. The hotel gets varied reviews and I see why. Some of the rooms are good with great views (higher up on the seaward side) but some are small and dark (those lower down facing the landward side). The terrace where breakfast is served is the best part of the hotel, overlooking the whole bay of Pollensa. The food is average, and very expensive. This is the main draw-back as travelling into Puerto Pollensa is a 15 minute drive over the mountain and we found that as a town it has gone badly downhill since we first visited 18 years ago. This effectively leaves the Hotel Formetor as an oasis of tranquility next to the great Formentor beach, with fantastic snorkelling, but with very few surrounding attractions and limited beach facilities.

We are fairly independent so do not need or expect constant service from the staff, if you do need this then you will find you do not get 5 star service. We would go back, but only when we want an away from it all beach holiday.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Ilikeitquiet
Reviewed July 18, 2010

A really tough review this. Bit of context for you, the reader, into me; I like The Marbella Club Hotel, the Abama Hotel, Whatley manor and the Ritz Carlton Dubai.

1st day here - am writing from my phone.

Rooms - terribly small. TV that looks like something I had back in the 80's in my bedroom; not one english channel. We have ajoining rooms (for th kids) - 2 plug sockets per room (I'm not kidding....one of these powers their radio/alarm clock). Decor; OMG - old peoples home - and shabby. I mean, shower curtains! Hello!? Turn down service - zero. Apparently unless you have a suite or s'thing like that they don't do it.

Staff: friendly, albeit a bit inept. Nice and they do try but they just have not been trained in the art of 5-star.

Booze: 28 euros for a glass of house champagne. Need I say more.

Food: ok and better than most 4 stars....but not great and definatley on the lower end of my experience.

Beach: lovely - although a 5 min trek + the sunbeds are not free - you have to pay!

Water: to get half a litre of bottled water to the room via room service - 4.2 euros!

Kid friendly: not bad, but no effort to go out of the way

Value for money: no way

Would I come back: never ever. Am toying with the idea of son brull but kids would miss the beach

Hope this helps.

G and the gang

13  Thank MisterGPS
Reviewed July 2, 2010

weve been coming to this beautiful beach and great swiming water for several years and took up an offer to stay at the hotel . Advantage is that you have the beach to yourself early mornings and evenings before it is overrun by hoards of daytrippers from arcudia . Hotel service is not 5 star rooms have been redecorated cheaply. Food expensive and mediocre. Left feeling annoyed after having been told by reception on arrival that guests given lower rate for their own sunbeds on the beach , in fact you pay the same as non guests (30 euros per day ) but in addition if you sign for the privilege the hotel adds 0n 1 V A at 7% Left feeling ripped off will return to formentor but not to barcelo hotel

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2010

I have been visiting this hotel for nearly 10 years consecutivly. I love it because of the fantastic setting. The view over the bay is sensational, the water is some of the clearest i have ever seen and the bay is frames by two (small) mountains on either side.

Unfortuantely in recent years they built a pier and now boats arrive all day dropping off 100's of people from Pollensa who comepletely over run the beach. To start with the beach is does not have much dept to it. Fortunately they are lazy and tent to all stay on the part of the beach near the pier leaving it clear in front of the hotel. The beach very clean and the water free from any seaweed. You can happily swim in it safely as the swimming area is really well section off from the boats.

The reception staff were helpful and freindly. But the room we had looked like it had recieved a cheap make over. The laminated floors are bouncy and like you would expect in a far inferior hotel.

The breakfast spread and location cannot be faulted, really perfect in every way. The gardens are beautifully managed and look specacular.

You just can't help feeling that the splendor and glamour of the place has been rubbed out by a budget hotel chain buying this hotel and having no idea how to run a trophie asset. The service is poor and slow. You rarely see anyone who you might assume is a manager.

I miss the pride and joy that the previous owner had for the site.

Regardless i will keep in coming here. The setting is turely unmatched by anywhere else i have been.

You need deep pockets and they need to improve the service and dinner food.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Termignoni
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Yes the Formentor hotel is beautifully situated within the most spacious well kept and
beautiful gardens of any hotel we have ever stayed in.
In around 1000 acres of its own grounds the place has a fabulous history from when it was once a unique grand hotel and all the old celebrities went there as well as Churchill-there is a Sir Winston Churchill suite and a Sir Peter Ustinov suite.
So the building a little old fashioned but the public rooms are spacious and the bedrooms even apart from the suites are generally a good size -we take a deluxe suite
with a vast terace and a separate lounge and changing room.The bathroom is smallish
but clean and quite adequate.
The views from our terrace or the sumptuous terrace restaurant where you have a breakfast fit for several kings or dinner in the evening has literally breathtaking views
of the sea the little islands and the mountains as well as the fabled gardens, pool
and sea.
Is there really anyone who would not inwardly purr with pleasure with that view on
a summers late evening having dinner on that terrace with a fine wine and the now
somewhat improved food since the barcelo takeover?
The food had been a let down - but its straightforward grills , very good fish etc nothing
fancy-is now good enough.
The walk to the beach in the morning with the sea on your left glimpsed through the pine trees is a delight- shock horror-- you still have to pay to be on the beach on the
comfortable beds-this has been the case to my knowledge for 30 years-I really dont care
-its part of the way the hotel pays its way - you can sit by the pool for nothing.
There is a small childrens play area.
All in all this is a little rhapsody to a hotel where we have come with our children and then our grandchildren- we are glad it exists -still- and look forward to our annual visits
in the future.
The staff many of whom have been there for years are friendly and efficient - we have never left the hotel without assistance with our cases as another reviewer mentioned-
only anomaly is that in all the years we have been going here I have never spoken to
the manager at the time- I dont need to - but in this respect it is also unique-but
just for this aspect perhaps a few points off the score. Compare the Sandy Lane in
Barbados a hotel somewhat grander and larger where the manager is "about"

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple