All reviewspi restaurantformentor beachbeautiful hotelbeach barprivate beachpine treesper daybuffet restaurantrelaxing staya la carte menumain restauranttraditional hotelsea viewhotel guestshire caryear after yeartennis courts
Reviewed August 22, 2012

On a whim & because of foul weather in the UK, I decided to take a short break of 5 days to find some sun - All By Myself.. (Hubby hates travelling, & it was very last minute so I couldn't find a friend to travel with at such short notice).

Following a verbal recommendation, I found The Formentor on-line, booked, and off I went. (via Ryan Air - oh my word, THAT was an eye-opener!..)

Before I go any further, this is not a cheap hotel, so be ready for a fair old whack as far as prices are concerned, (I went B&B), but don't let this put you off - do read on!

Everything was a dream from the moment I arrived. The car was ready and waiting to whisk me away and I arrived (about 11pm, so I was tired) to a wonderfully warm welcome.

My first room was a sea-view, with no balcony. This was my only 'hotel gripe' in that, due to it being a first floor, the sea view was completely obscured by trees - so I recommend you ask for a higher room, (standard double) if you want to see the water.

I was also expecting a balcony. Travelling alone, I was anticipating the peace of enjoying my supper each evening on the terrace, rather than have to face a dining room where I would have to sit alone, 'Norman-No-Mates' style.. There wasn't one available at that time, but I was promised a move 2 nights later, & was perfectly happy with that. Anyway, the garden was beautiful.

The rooms are airy, clean and well adapted. Good temp control, and the bathrooms are excellent with lots of smelly goodies. Beds extremely comfortable, with soft sheets, and blankets if you get chilly. And when I was moved to the larger room, with terrace, I had breathtaking views to the sea and plenty of late afternoon sun. Very happy camper!

My first morning came and again, a warm greeting from the hotel reception, and porter, as I went past to breakfast and oh my, what a breakfast buffet it was! Everything one would want and more. I confess to possibly eating enough to keep me going for weeks!

Absolutely delicious, and eggs cooked to order by a smiling chef. The breakfast terrace itself is open (the ever hopeful sparrows present, chirruping away on the off-chance a few crusts might 'fall their way'.. Have to confess I succumbed and left a good few crumbs lying about for them on the side..), with stunning views over the sea and coastline.

I was also pleased to see the General Manager on one occasion, who had taken the time and trouble to come and see the guests - and he was charming. Helpful, and he listened attentively.

A small, but perfectly adequate, hotel shop - with UK newspapers and sun creams etc. And some lovely gifts too. There was also a small boutique - but sadly it opened at 10am, and closed, extremely promptly!, at 5pm and I was never back from the beach in time to look in there.

The gardens surrounding the hotel are stunning. (I was a bit concerned about the rampant ivy on many of the trees threatening to suffocate them..) But they are beautifully laid out, and it's a delicious 10 minute stroll to the beach. Wonderful to wander through in the evenings too. So lovely. And above all, it felt safe.

Some say that the hotel is looking tired. I didn't think this at all. Not everything has to be brash and new to be acceptable. The hotel is stylish, cosy, impeccably set out and I felt utterly happy being there by myself. (It can be intimidating travelling alone.)

Onto the beach. Beautifully clean sand. Gorgeous clean water - warm - with fish (who can nibble, they made me squeal on a couple of occasions! No damage - just caused me to jump a bit..) and again, safe. I felt entirely comfortable leaving my bag by the bed while I swam.

Tony, the beach manager and his team are sweethearts. He has done it for 30 years, and due for another ten before retirement (I did say I hoped he wouldn't be given a sun-bed as his leaving present!) I was incredibly impressed to hear he speaks 5 languages. Helpful and kind, without being intrusive.

My one complaint was that I felt that the beach, which is advertised as being private, is not, (other tourists come and rent the beds for the day) but I suppose they do have to fill the spaces, and it didnt feel over-crowded or claustrophobic in any way.

I would also say that 15 Euros per day for residents (18 if no resident) is also quite a lot to hire a sunbed. For residents I feel they ought to be either a lot cheaper (perhaps 8 Euros) and the non-residents 25 euros to make up the shortfall, or better still, free. But that's very minor.

The beach bar is again excellent - with charming staff and service.

Travelling alone, I was so relieved to have wi-fi in the room, as well as the BBC on television. A few more English speaking channels would be helpful, with either a movie channel or something like that. But it was good to have the Beeb, although slightly surreal watching 'Dads Army' in 90 degree temps!

Room service was excellent, but the spaghetti bolognaise was very watery - so avoid that on the room menu!

The hotel is quite a distance from the town, but easily accessible via an hourly ferry which is fun to take (11 Euros return) - so on the one cloudy morning, it was simple to jump on and go and explore. The town is very sweet and doesn't have the. shall we say, rowdier element of holidaymaker there. Good shops and numerous restaurants and bars.

I loved this hotel and will definitely go back for another visit. It's so easy to get to from the UK - 4-5 hours door to door - heaven. The staff are charming, receptionists completely lovely - and the chic, understated decor makes for a homey feel.

As I said - this is not a cheap place, but it is totally 5*, and worth every penny.

Five days short break felt like a three week holiday for me. I came home utterly rested and looking forward to a return visit.

Thank you all, very much, for taking such good care of me.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher placed room if you want a sea view. First floor views are obscured by trees. Avoid Spag. Bog. on room menu...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank Lady_Bathurst
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Returned again for the 16th time to meet up with long-standing friends. We booked, as usual, this hotel on a half-board basis. Unfortunately, one of the restaurants was closed for almost a week, leaving us with only one choice of where to eat in the evenings. We opted to eat at the hotel on alternate days at lunchtimes and on those days went out to Pollensa/Alcudia in the evenings visiting a variety of restaurants.
Shame the beach restaurant is never open at night. All the British guests want it open and say so every year.
Generally the staff were happy and most pleased to see us back. Buffet has improved and there are now 'no smoking' signs on some of the tables. Thank goodness!!
Such a shame the General Manager and his assistant make no effort to acknowledge the hotel guests from England. At least 25 of us have been going to Formentor each year for at least 15 years. Without us there would be very few British guests there.
Lastly, after some persuassion and with only 10 minutes to go, the hotel agreed that they would find a room for any Brtish guests to watch the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympics. It was great.
We will no doubt return again but the management needs to listen to their guests and their constructive comments on how to improve this hotel. It could be magical !!!!.

Room Tip: suggest choosing a room on eith 2nd or 3rd room overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank misterk57
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Hello.

We just came back from a 9 night stay at the Barcelo Formentor and we were so pleased with our stay. Me and my fiance has high standards and a 5* from us means a lot. Formentor has a lot of history that really stays in the walls, and the old fashion type of luxury in the view of what must be the pearl of all bays, really puts you in a blissful state. It feels like we came back from a luxury visit in the 40s, but of course with everything in good standards and cleanliness.

The beach is agreed upon, by every local and frequent Majorca visitor, to be the best in Europe. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of our beaches I must say that it's the best I've ever seen so far.

The only thing though that almost took out one star was the food. The buffet is not at all good and the prices of the hotel is really unacceptable. The owners/managers abuse the fact that it's in a very isolated place and you have no other choice but to pay 4.1 Euro for 0.5 litres of water, 5 Euro for 200ml of Coca Cola and 35 Euro for a small glass of Moet Chandon (which is a very normal not-spectacular champagne) that normally costs 10 Euros a glass in the European inland. A normal salad will cost you over 17 Euros, unless you want a glass of water of course, cause that makes it to about 21,5.

No, it is not for the fainted hearted, but what saves the 5th and so important last star, is the fact that the history behind the place is so well kept and the service and sheer beauty of this so very unique place. The sunsets and mountains around are working so well together with the gardens to make you feel very lucky.

I strongly recommend it, and if you are willing, I recommend the Superior room 323 or the Grace Kelly Suite, because not only will you then be in the same room as the Dalai Lama has, but you will also have one of the absolute best views any hotel room can have in Europe.

Great hotel, but pricey.

Room Tip: 323 or 324
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patrik G
Reviewed July 21, 2012

If you are looking for a great beach, this is the spot on Majorca. Although the rooms, food and activities are expensive you are paying for the location and it is well worth it. However, it's an hour drive (a car is must) to paradise from the airport and the last 7km are treacherous but can be fun for the right person. The hotel has excellent service and friendly people. It's great for couples or families with kids of any age. At the beach, you can sail, windsurf, paddle boat, kayak, etc. but you have to pay for each activity. Or you can just relax in a lounge chair which cost 40 Euros a day for 2 lounges and a small personal hut for shade. The rooms and bathrooms are in good condition but not 5 star quality. The common areas (lobby, carpets, etc.) of the hotel are in need of renovation. Remember, you are paying for the location. They have a great breakfast buffet that was included with our stay and lunch at the beach (which has 2 restaurants and a very upscale buffet) was also good but pricey. However, for dinner I recommend traveling to either Pollenca or Porte de Pollenca (more lively and closer about a 20 minute drive) which has some amazing restaurants including Restaurant Siller (our favorite), Celler La Parra, Stay and many more. It was a far trip from California, and if The Formentor was closer we would definitely love to go back!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dan G
Reviewed July 20, 2012

The Cap Formentor is the most fabulous location however this is where the beauty ends. The reception staff are very smiley and helpful but the rooms are small and dated. Staff in the restaurant and bar are sullen and moody and the food is poor.

Guests are allowed to smoke cigars or cigarettes in all parts of the restaurants even at breakfast and with a large clientel being German there was a lots of smoking. If you have been seated at a certain table they are reluctant to move you from this position for the duration of your holiday.

We were told we didn't need to book in the main restaurant and so went in at 8 pm when it opened and it was virtually empy to be told we should have booked and a very huffy waiter showed us in a disgruntled manor to a table.

We went down to the beach which was completely packed and for five of us to sit on the beach would be about euros 100 for a day! Although there was no space.

The pool was beautiful as were the views.

Response to problems were poor We had two rooms and one was for three children barely any room other than the three beds and the air conditioning unit dripped cold water on to one of our children in the night the only response from the hotel is when its very hot outside this sometimes happens.

Overall the hotel is dated , unfriendly and very poor food. We left and went to the St Regis Mardavell which was quite excellent.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family