All reviewspi restaurantformentor beachbeautiful hotelbeach barprivate beachpine treesper daybuffet restaurantrelaxing staya la carte menumain restauranttraditional hotelsea viewhotel guestshire caryear after yeartennis courts
Reviewed July 20, 2012

The Cap Formentor is the most fabulous location however this is where the beauty ends. The reception staff are very smiley and helpful but the rooms are small and dated. Staff in the restaurant and bar are sullen and moody and the food is poor.

Guests are allowed to smoke cigars or cigarettes in all parts of the restaurants even at breakfast and with a large clientel being German there was a lots of smoking. If you have been seated at a certain table they are reluctant to move you from this position for the duration of your holiday.

We were told we didn't need to book in the main restaurant and so went in at 8 pm when it opened and it was virtually empy to be told we should have booked and a very huffy waiter showed us in a disgruntled manor to a table.

We went down to the beach which was completely packed and for five of us to sit on the beach would be about euros 100 for a day! Although there was no space.

The pool was beautiful as were the views.

Response to problems were poor We had two rooms and one was for three children barely any room other than the three beds and the air conditioning unit dripped cold water on to one of our children in the night the only response from the hotel is when its very hot outside this sometimes happens.

Overall the hotel is dated , unfriendly and very poor food. We left and went to the St Regis Mardavell which was quite excellent.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank awelltravelledlady
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Stayed at this amazing hotel in may 2012 and would have to recommend it very very highly, very friendly and efficient staff, food excellent. looking forward to returning again.
Foley N.Ireland

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sean f
Reviewed June 30, 2012

The location of the Barcelo Formentor is stunning, but it is fairly cut off. You can't get to restaurants and bars without a car, and there isn't any good walking in the immediate location. The hotel has lovely gardens and is on a small beach, but the rooms are small and very dated, this might have been the height of luxury in the 1970's but it is no longer up to scratch. The restaurant is on a beautiful terrace with fantastic views, but the standard of the food is poor considering the price. If you lay on a very average all you can eat buffet, you should not charge 5* prices for it! Good tennis courts and they weren't busy. The staff were friendly enough.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Wendy D
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Excellent, especially the beach and sun beds great service from Bernard thanks

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank paulr1r1
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We have just stayed at this hotel for 9 nights and it has been lovely. It took me a couple of days to settle in as usually I tend to go to a hotel more centrally located with shops and restaurants T hand. The hotel is set in the most beautiful gardens and has two swimming pools and a lovely seating area for sunbathing. You can also walk down a few steps to a garden beside the sea to sunbathe also, and it's like your own private garden. There are twin sun beds sitting on wicker frames and also single beds to sit on, my only complaint is that there are only 14 umbrellas for the whole hotel. Some days we sat at the sea, which you have to pay for the beds, some are cheaper than others and if you walk further along the beach you will get them for free, I think!
We took a room with a balcony, room 215, which was lovely, after being shown a junior suite which has no balcony but opted for room 215 as I must say we did use the balcony every day, and again the view was simply beautiful. Strangely enough the room has no dressing table, so when it came to drying my hair it was a bit difficult as I had to unplug the tv and use the plug for my hair dryer. There is a large settee under the mirror, so I sat kneeled and was able to do my hair. It's not what you would expect in a 5 star hotel but I managed! The air con was a bit noisy in the room but was bearable. The hotel reception staff are extremely helpful and speak good English and gave us a good tip where to park when going into Palma. You follow the signs to the harbour and there is a car park, 5 min away from the cathedral which was an excellent spot and within walking distance to the old city and shopping in Palma. It takes an hour from the hotel. The road leading up to the hotel is something else. Very windy and dangerous at times and very high up. If you hate heights you certainly cannot look out your window if you are a passenger! We were not booked half board and had every intention of going out every night for dinner, but when I saw the road Initially I actually got very very nervous and I was not the driver! After a few rides I did get used to it but we ate in the hotel quite a few evenings in which the food was excellent. The buffet is 53 euros which was a very high quality buffet and a lovely choice of starters, mains and fab deserts. You could go a la carte and have one course, ie fish for 35 euros if preferred or just have a salad from the buffet for 19 euros. On the nights we went out we went to the port a couple of times, which is only about 15 mins away. Went to a fabulous restaurant right on the harbour called STAY which was excellent and away from the usual restaurants you find on holiday.I think most people come to the hotel on a half board basis and just stay there for the entire holiday to avoid going up and down the road and from what I believe, people keep returning to the hotel year after year for it's good reputation.the prices here are not cheap, 14 euros for a gazpacho and 19.80 euros for a salad. These are room service prices.two coffees at the pool are £4. It was a very pleasant holiday and feel very relaxed and of course the weather was magic

Room Tip: Definitely one with a balcony as the views are spectacular
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple