All reviews pi restaurant extensive gardens beautiful hotel formentor beach private beach beach bar pine trees buffet restaurant per day amazing location relaxing stay main restaurant sea view hire car hotel guests year after year tennis courts
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Excellent, especially the beach and sun beds great service from Bernard thanks

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank paulr1r1
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We have just stayed at this hotel for 9 nights and it has been lovely. It took me a couple of days to settle in as usually I tend to go to a hotel more centrally located with shops and restaurants T hand. The hotel is set in the most beautiful gardens and has two swimming pools and a lovely seating area for sunbathing. You can also walk down a few steps to a garden beside the sea to sunbathe also, and it's like your own private garden. There are twin sun beds sitting on wicker frames and also single beds to sit on, my only complaint is that there are only 14 umbrellas for the whole hotel. Some days we sat at the sea, which you have to pay for the beds, some are cheaper than others and if you walk further along the beach you will get them for free, I think!
We took a room with a balcony, room 215, which was lovely, after being shown a junior suite which has no balcony but opted for room 215 as I must say we did use the balcony every day, and again the view was simply beautiful. Strangely enough the room has no dressing table, so when it came to drying my hair it was a bit difficult as I had to unplug the tv and use the plug for my hair dryer. There is a large settee under the mirror, so I sat kneeled and was able to do my hair. It's not what you would expect in a 5 star hotel but I managed! The air con was a bit noisy in the room but was bearable. The hotel reception staff are extremely helpful and speak good English and gave us a good tip where to park when going into Palma. You follow the signs to the harbour and there is a car park, 5 min away from the cathedral which was an excellent spot and within walking distance to the old city and shopping in Palma. It takes an hour from the hotel. The road leading up to the hotel is something else. Very windy and dangerous at times and very high up. If you hate heights you certainly cannot look out your window if you are a passenger! We were not booked half board and had every intention of going out every night for dinner, but when I saw the road Initially I actually got very very nervous and I was not the driver! After a few rides I did get used to it but we ate in the hotel quite a few evenings in which the food was excellent. The buffet is 53 euros which was a very high quality buffet and a lovely choice of starters, mains and fab deserts. You could go a la carte and have one course, ie fish for 35 euros if preferred or just have a salad from the buffet for 19 euros. On the nights we went out we went to the port a couple of times, which is only about 15 mins away. Went to a fabulous restaurant right on the harbour called STAY which was excellent and away from the usual restaurants you find on holiday.I think most people come to the hotel on a half board basis and just stay there for the entire holiday to avoid going up and down the road and from what I believe, people keep returning to the hotel year after year for it's good reputation.the prices here are not cheap, 14 euros for a gazpacho and 19.80 euros for a salad. These are room service prices.two coffees at the pool are £4. It was a very pleasant holiday and feel very relaxed and of course the weather was magic

Room tip: Definitely one with a balcony as the views are spectacular
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
5  Thank JAG27
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I wanted to escape the cheap crowds of Mallorca and booked this famous hotel where people like Churchill and Schmidt stayed but now, it is all the same: Cheap tourists which children who do not know how to behave fill this hotel. How sad. And the prices are very high, a gin tonic costs you Euro 15.40 and a la carte dinner with two glasses of open wine cost me 84 Euros. The rooms are old-fashioned, small in and in need of a renovation and the staff is not able to speak English or German well enough. But the location is absolutely splendid and the best on this island, in my humble opinion. But when you belong to a hotel chain, this is what you get....

Room tip: Go for a sea facing room, the others face the parking lot and are not worth the effort
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
6  Thank HansM1959
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Ok, so we didn't stay here but thought it useful to share my experience of the beach front bar and restaurant. Drinks were expensive but as to be expected as we knew that this was a good quality hotel and didn't mind.

However, the place was maybe half full in mid afternoon and it took a while (10 mins) to get our drinks order taken. The waiters were reminiscent of Fawlty Towers which we found odd for a place that trades on it's distinguished history and name. Several tables of people around us were not getting served in a hurry and had drinks missing when they finally arrived. After deciding not to bother eating here we eventually got la cuenta and then waited 15 minutes for our change which hadn't materialised! After waiting up at the bar for another 5 minutes it transpired our change had gone to another table!

We had at least expected good service with our pricey drinks but it was terrible and not what I would expect from an alledged premium property that boasts celebrity and royal guests. On this basis we would not stay here.

On a positive, the beach is wonderful although you can enjoy that without staying at the hotel!

Date of stay: May 2012
5  Thank EssJayWhy
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Just returned from a fantastic 5 days at the Formentor on Majorca. Old style with modern facilities. Room great; service excellent; pool good for lazing and swimming; sea 30 seconds away and again good for swimming; scrumptious breakfast and food in general top quality. Really really relaxing time. Strongly recommend a hire car and go to Pollenca (not the touristic port) for the sunday market and/or buy local bread, cheese, meat and wine for fantastic picnic lunches. Also, Pollenca good for non-touristic restaurants - like Font del Gall; Slivia and Stay (Port de Pollenca).

We had an issue with our booking on arrival which was sorted out quickly and extremely courteously.

Will definitely go back

Room tip: Always go for sea view and a hire car
  • Trip type: Traveled with family