“Awesome!!”

Aparthotel Playa Mar & Spa
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Port de Pollenca
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Can't praise this place enough. Really excellent hotel. We were welcomed off the bus by the manager and he helped us with our bags to reception, where we received drinks. After check in the excellent receptionist offered to help us with our bags to the room. So it was a great start to the holiday. This place is really professionally run. Brilliant staff who are very friendly, always smiling and all are wonderful with the kids. I travelled with my wife and son as well as my sisters family. I requested ground floor rooms before we travelled, as my sister is pregnant. We got ground floor rooms so she was delighted with that.
The apartments are great. There's a tv with a few English stations. There's also an iron and small ironing board in the cupboard which was handy. There's also a small cooker, fridge, microwave and a hair dryer.
We were all inclusive and I couldn't fault the food one bit. A lot of variety and great quality. There was a lovely Mexican theme night which I really enjoyed.
The resort is really beautiful. I fell in love with the place after my first walk down the pine walk. Really clean resort with many restaurants.
The Thomson staff at the playa mar were the best I've ever experienced. Asha boo, Heavenly Heather, Ali g, Marvelous Mark and Sophie were really really lovely people. And Thomson should be proud to have them as staff. Top class! I will work on my accent in case we meet again! haha
I didn't use the kids club so can't comment on it but the staff were really nice and the other kids seemed to love them.
Fantastic place and thanks for a great holiday. Will definitely be
back!

• Stayed: June 2013
5  Thank Rkl666
There are newer reviews for Aparthotel Playa Mar & Spa

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Got back yesterday from a really wonderful stay at Playa Mar. We were a party of 11 including 6 Little ones aged from 1 to 6. Playa Mar really did tick all the boxes as a family resort to keep the little ones entertained and the grown ups happy too. We had some drinks and nibbles on arrival which was lovely even the little ones had juice and some pastries. The staff were really friendly from the start and that made a great impression. Our rooms were on the ground floor and very near to each other as requested for our convenience. We stayed half board which suited us well and went to dinner straight away. My 3 year old daughter Olive was over tired from our journey and a bit tearful in the restaurant next thing I know the Manager had calmed her down with his friendly smile and a parrot feather cocktail decoration he gave her, next thing I know she is happily laughing. He saved the day I made a note of his name Tolo. I must say all the staff at the hotel were excellent always smiling and happy to help I can't fault them. Tolo really did stand out for me as he always had time to ask you how you are and give you a big smile! Back to the hotel itself we enjoyed the food very much and although we were there for 2 weeks we never got bored. I especially liked the Majorcan specialities, sushi nights and the Mexican theme night. My children adored the chocolate fountain.
The facilities were wonderful, the pools and slides kept kids and adults entertained. The Thompson entertainment reps were wonderful always helpful and smiling both day and night. All were fantastic but a special mention has to go to Mark who was so smiley and friendly and to Ashley who smiled made us laugh and did really wonderful choreography throughout our stay. The discos and Thompson the dog kept all the kids entertained and after 2 weeks my father bought all his 5 grandchildren cuddly Thompson dogs as souvenirs of their family holiday away which went down really well. The kids club was great we used it a few times including a chocolate party one night which my 3 and 5 year old adored. The kids club reps are so caring and wonderful with the children particularly Zoe and Mitch who had only just started when we arrived they were outstanding. We were incredibly lucky with the weather in the 30's all the last week we spend some time on the beach there which was wonderful we also did a bus trip to Formentor (stop not far from the hotel) which is well worth it. We went to Porto Pollenca market on the Wednesday and also did a trip to old Pollenca on Sunday market day there too. Make time to try Tapas in the square its well worth it and if you are feeling energetic there's the 365 plus steps to the top of Pollenca to see the quaint little church and stop for an ice cream and admire the view. My tip for the holiday is to venture out and have a stroll down the pine walk and visit the square in Porto Pollenca and have a coffee in one of the cafes the Majorcans use the prices are cheaper then the tourist ones along the front and its nice to be amongst the local people. To sum up this very long review I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone with little children and Porto Pollenca itself is simply stunning go and see for yourself you wont be disappointed.

5  Thank Norwichgal
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We have just returned from 10 days at the Playa Mar hotel and can't praise it highly enough, or the resort of Puerto Pollensa.
From the moment you arrive (we were greeted with a glass of fizz and a platter of fresh fruit on arrival) the staff simply can't do enough to make your holiday special.
The staff were the best we had encountered, the food was great and the layout of the hotel in general was very good.
We travelled with two kids - ages four and one - and they had a ball. It's probably important to address some of the negatives on other reviews.
It's true there isn't much around the hotel and the walk into the centre of Puerto Pollensa is around 25 minutes (with a buggy) but it is a lovely route along the Pine Walk.
Some said this can become a chore to do it every night for a fortnight. We didn't find that, although we were only there for 10 days, and didn't do it every night.
There aren't many other options for eating out around the hotel so if you aren't going all inclusive then you should ask yourself if a 25-minute walk both ways every night would impact on the enjoyment of your holiday.
You can also avoid the Pine Walk and walk along the street the hotel is on which would cut your time into town, although it's obviously not as scenic as it's not on the sea front.
We went B&B for 10 days and the hotel allows you to upgrade to all inclusive for a set number of days so we did that for the middle three days of our holiday at the cost of just 57 euros a day for two adults and a child and there's no doubt that was excellent value.
We felt that gave us a good mix of eating out and staying in the hotel and meant the walk didn't become a chore (there is no bus and a taxi into the centre is five euros).
And on the nights when we didn't eat in the hotel and didn't want to walk right into the centre then we found a brilliant restaurant (the only one in the immediate vicinity) just a couple of hundred yards from Playa Mar.
This is called Laguna Restaurant and the food was excellent. We later discovered it's part-owned by the cousin of Gerard Butler who had actually been in the previous day as he was in the area on business.
Along with C'an Josep which is at totally the other end of the resort, Laguna was our best meal. It was no surprise to find them rated number one and two on Tripadvisor.
There is also a Pizzeria which was good and is the first restaurant you hit on the Pine Walk so only about a 10 minute walk.
The rooms in Playa Mar were cleaned every day and, while basic, had everything you needed. Some reviews suggested shopping at the Eroski Supermarket but if you're doing a big shop then it would be too far to walk with a lot of shopping. There is a small shop attached to the hotel but there is a Spar just five minutes walk away which was perfect - and attached to that a lovely wee cafe called Store Formentor which was good for lunch.
We didn't see much of the hotel entertainment but it seemed to be what you would expect and the bar was reasonably priced with a bottle of win just four euros.
For kids there was a creche, the playpark was good and there is free wi-fi in the reception area.
The transfer time from the airport is around 50 minutes which is a bit longer than we would have liked but you can't have it all - and to be fair we were the first drop off which was a help.
All in all this hotel is excellent. Okay, it isn't bang in the centre but then you wouldn't find as good a hotel for families in the centre so you have to weigh that up.
Other critcisms surrounded the pool temperature. I have to admit it was cold and while we spoke to some who said it was too cold for their kids to go in it, we didn't find it that bad once you were in.

Room Tip: Ask for Block 1 and a room facing away from the entertainment if you want to switch off at the end o...
5  Thank bez1233
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My family and I have just returned from 2 weeks all inclusive at the Playa Mar and had the most AMAZING time!
Before I review anything else I must first say thank you to the fantastic staff.
I have been lucky enough with my job to stay in hotels frequently and I can honestly say none of them have employed staff as good as the Playa Mar.
Angie & Tolo especially in the restaurant deserve an enormous thank you for how special they made myself and our son feel when we celebrated our birthdays and the smiles and kind words we received every day. A big thank you to Mark on reception also (plus ALL the staff everywhere else). They made our holiday so special.

The hotel is beautiful.
The food wonderful, fresh with plenty of choice.
The rooms are good, clean and do the job perfectly.
The pools are great for children but sooooooooo cold! Fine on a hot day but if you're there when its overcast then Brrrrrr!
The pool did get very very busy so we took a 5 minute stroll to the pine walk and found ourselves a quiet part of beach with the shallowest clearest waters and warm sea.
The spa is very modern and very beautiful but the pool is really deep 1.9m so not suitable for small children and after 4pm becomes a really nice grown up sanctuary.
Puerto Pollensa and the pine walk were the highlight of our evenings, quiet, sleepy, pretty and so relaxing.
The perfect holiday and will rebook at the Playa Mar in a heartbeat x

Room Tip: We chose a back room not looking over the pool and found this very quiet although I wouldnt say the...
2  Thank Bunnyshoney
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just returned from a two weeks holiday with my husband and two children (4yrs & 7 months) at the playa Mar and what a fantastic place for families!

I take my hat off to the ents team (ash, Ali and heather) they have so much energy and work very hard. They were great fun, running activities throughout the day and night for both adults and children including dancing at the pool for the little ones, water polo, afternoon quiz and evening family entertainment.

My daughter only used the kids club twice as we couldn't drag her away form the pool and slides but she loved the wizard school and I heard from other parents that their children loved the kids club and the staff running it were lovely.

The pool area is fantastic for the little ones and grown ups alike. My husband was like a big kid going on the slides and joining in with the water polo and other poolside activities.

The food in the restaurant is very good and the staff are lovely but I would say after two weeks all inclusive it did get a little repetitive on times and the snack options at the pool bar are pretty poor. The desserts were very good and my little one loved the ice cream, chocolate fountain and sweets.

The hotel staff were lovely always friendly and helpful. We lost our passports and money on the way to hotel and when the hotel manager heard he personally came to our room to say how sorry he was and offered us a complimentary spa treatment. I cannot say enough nice things about the staff - big thanks to luis on reception who was a fantastic help when we lost our passports.

The living room and bedroom in the apartment was fine but the kitchenette and bathroom could really do with an update (definitely not 4* standard) as they are tired and the bathroom really let the room down but as others have said with the other facilities being so good you're very rarely in the room. I would also say that the hotel really need to improve the maid service as the cleaning was terrible and I don't think our room was swept properly in two weeks. I did complain to Sophia our rep and the same day the room was cleaned much better but the standard soon slipped again.

Big thanks to Sophia our thomson rep who was brilliant and went the extra mile to try and help us find our lost items and to make sure we were enjoying our holiday. The thomson team at the playa Mar - Sophia, Mark, Ash, heather and Ali definitely deserve a mention as they were fab throughout our stay - well done guys!

The hotel is situated at the end of the pine walk which takes around 25 minutes to walk to the town centre but the views are beautiful and there are bars and restaurants dotted along the walk on the way. On reading last years reviews before we travelled we decided to take buggies for both children as we guessed the oldest would probably get tired on the way back - I would definitely recommend taking or hiring a buggy for the older children if you are planning to walk in to puerto pollensa as it is a long walk back without one :)

I think there are some minor things which could be improved such as the maid service, cleaning the pool more regularly and more snack choices for all inclusive guests but All in all a fantastic value for money family holiday in a lovely resort and worth 5* review as we enjoyed so much. We will definitely return

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are nicer and I would recommend a higher floor and if like me you're a light sle...
2  Thank latizz
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed at the Playa Mar for 7 nights in June with friends and our young children. We went for the self catering option and ate out in the town centre every night. It's a lovely scenic walk along the Pine boardwalk, but it's about a mile to the main square so quite far for little ones. I hired a buggy for my three year old so we did a lot of walking, but there are plenty of taxis around if you can't manage it (around 6 euros per trip).
The restaurants along the front and live music in the square were great and the kids loved playing in the square and on the beach. On the whole the food was quite expensive but we had amazing tapas, pasta and pizzas. We had two disappointing meals at Mojitos and Dakota in the square - average food and overpriced.
The Playa Mar is a fantastic hotel for families, with plenty of entertainment and good facilities. The kids pools were pretty cold though (the big pool is much warmer), which is a shame as they couldn't stay in it for long.
We had a room in block 3 by the stage and it was really noisy at night - loud music until 11pm - so don't expect much peace and quiet!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Traveller1310
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We have just returned from a two week 'all inclusive' holiday at the Playa Mar and had a fantastic time.
Our son is only three but enjoyed every minute of it.So did we.
From the clenliness of the rooms with maid service to the friendliness of the bar,pool and restaurant staff it is without question the best hospitality we have ever recieved.
Martha who seems to work everywhere in the hotel is excellent with the little ones.
The pools were ideal for small children being the correct depth with plenty of slides and shoots etc and poolside beds were always available.
The playground provides a great alternative to the poolside or if on the odd day the sun isn't shining.
The only downer I have is the size of my belly that I have returned with but as with everything else the food was out of this world so I guess thats my fault.
I thank all the hotel staff from the manager and managers to the cleaners and maintenance staff for everything they do.
Massive thanks go to the Thompson team, the reps and especially the entertainers for keeping us occupied and entertained both during the day and night for two weeks.
Daddy's favourite was Heavenly Heather but my son prefered Thompson the dog.
Well done all the entetainers and nursery staff excellent.
We would absolutely recommend the Playa Mar to anyone with small children and also suggest taking a buggy for that pleasant walk through the pine trees down to the beach,town,shops and restaurants.
We look forward to going back soon. Well Done! x

Room Tip: Pool views are great are great and keep you informed however if you want some quiet choose a room fa...
1  Thank jason h