“Good - but could be better...”

Playa Mar & Spa Aparthotel
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Port de Pollenca
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I have just come back from a stay here. The location is great especially if you don't like all the hussle and bussle on your doorstep.

The staff are helpful and friendly (epsecially lady in shop!!!)

The apartments were clean and tidy and cleaned daily.

The feedback i would like to give to the hotel is this - the self-catering facilities were adequate, but not outstanding - it was difficult to cook a meal with the facilities provided.

There wasn't an information pack in the room about the services you offered - like the spa (had no idea when it was open or treatments you offered (you could sell these by having info in the rooms), or information about public transport , your restaurant etc. and while if you ask at reception you are very helpful - it is always nice to be able to peruse the information.

The restaurant was not particularly good - so seek food elsewhere..

Thomson rep was not very approachable, and the thomson boards were hidden well!!

Now that i know what the facilities are, would i come back? - yes i would - but I would be more prepared for my trip...

Room Tip: Try to get a room not facing pool
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Aurora_Borealis123
Write a ReviewReviews (1,718)

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We booked this hotel based on the reviews from tripadviser so felt it only right to add my opinion.

We booked this hotel independently and the hotel were extremely accomodating with my additional requests. I sent an email asking for a top floor apartment and if possible an early check in. Luckily we travelled out of high season so the early check in was possible. We had a top floor apartment facing the mountains, the view was absolutely fantastic.

The apartment was basic but clean and the fact that there is a separate bedroom and lounge is perfect when travelling with children. Both rooms had patio doors that opened onto the balcony. The rooms had both air con and heating which was handy as it was a bit chilly at night. My daughters are 7 and 4 and this set up was great for us.

The pool area is fantastic for children, unfortunately the pools are not heated and it was too cold for my two. Saying that a lot of children were happy in the pools, obviously more hardy than my two! We did not use the indoor pool but it is very impressive.

We opted for self catering as the previous reviews had mentioned that the food was not great. You can buy tickets to eat in the restaurant once you arrive. We only ate in the restaurant once for dinner, we were not impressed. The food was cold and unappetising however, my daughter loved the chicken. My youngest was not very well and the staff were really friendly and happy for her to snack on bread.

The location of this hotel is perfect. It is a two minute walk from the famous pine walk which is stunning. Along ths pine walk are little beaches, restaurants and bars. So many restaurants to choose from, we ate in Little Italy which is on the pine walk and has lovely views of the bay. The food is pizza and pasta so great for children.

Other great places to visit are the famous Formentor beach and the beaches at Cala Vincente.

The hotel is perfect for families.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor block one, room 309. This had great views of the mountains, it got the sun...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank HCLS
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I'm sat In the reception of the Aparthotel Playa Mar as I write this review, have only stayed one night so I will update this review when I leave in 9 days. (9/4/13)

We got a taxi to the hotel as we didn't want to go on the Thomson Transfer Bus and when we arrived at the hotel we where told our room wasn't ready until 1pm. When we got to the room we found out the electrics don't work without the key-card in a slot by the door. We also found out that the tap sprays water everywhere when you turn it on. Also when we turned on the kettle in the room it tripped the whole apartments electricity so we had to find the trip-switch in the room to turn it back on. The beds weren't the comfiest beds ever and there is only on pillow for the sofa-bed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Chester R
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We booked this resort on the recommendation of the travel agent, who had been here the previous year. The facilities for kids are amazing, she said. There's hours and hours of kids clubs each day. The reality is that there are limited spaces available (but you've already paid thru the nose for these facilities in your holiday price) so you have to queue at reception from 6pm to try to secure a space for the kids club thd following day. 6pm is not a suitable time forus as wwe're either getting ready for dinner or our 2yo was having a nap etc. Anyway out of 2 kids clubs per day for 2 weeks, we only secured 3 slots. Ridiculous. There are also payable kids club activities eg pizza party, which cost 5 euros. When my son came out, he said he'd got 2 small slices of pizza. Again, ridiculous. One evening I queued to put his name down for the following day's movie club. I was near the front of the queue so I was certain we'd get a slot booked. No. The two women in front booked in 4 kids each. These are NOT the ingredients for a relaxing holiday.
There is nothing in the brochure to say there are limited spaces, or that people start queuing half an hour early, or that the payable activities do not need a deposit paid (therefore people book spaces but don't bother to turn up), or that the same families seem to manage to secure places for their kids each day, or that they don't bother to use a fairer rota system, or that you have to plan your day around queuing up at 6pm etc etc. We booked our holiday 8 months before we went so we spent this time telling my son how brilliant it'd be that he could go to clubs every day. So we had one very disappointed son on the holiday. Given that all of these things are paid for in the price of the holiday, you expect to be able to use them.
Having written to the uk tour operator to complain it took months to get a reply, which was useless as it did not even address the points/questions I raised.
ABTA will be receiving a letter this week.

• Stayed: July 2012
7  Thank Vicky M
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Don't be fooled by the excellent reviews. Playa Mar is naff. Butlins on sea. The food is average and whilst the hotel is clean, the beds are 'reserved' with towels by 6 am in spite of notices to the contrary. The music is blaring, the hotel reps just shout and whip the kids up into a frenzy. The location is at the end of the beautiful pine walk - each morning we would use it to make our get away from Playa Mar.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank SmithKay
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I really liked this hotel, it's possibly the best I've stayed in when visiting Puerto Pollenca (I've been several times, it's one of my favourite resorts), but it's most definitely orientated towards children. It's obviously very good for families, but since I was visiting with my mum for a relaxing holiday, we found it slightly intrusive.

There is no separate area for kids, and the Thomson crew have microphones and large speaker systems that blast kid's games all over the pool and bar area. It's very loud and when you're trying to relax or read a book, it's quite off-putting. Since the property is centered around this area, there's no escaping it, so me and my mum decided to go into town when it happened. When the music, games, and conga lines aren't on though, the hotel is wonderfully relaxing. Soft music plays, loud enough to set a great mood, quiet enough not to be annoying.

The food at the hotel was delicious, but I wouldn't recommend all-inclusive or full board because the resort itself has some of the best restaurants and bars I've ever been to, many of which have a number of outside tables on piers out in the water. It's not a 'youth' resort like Malaga or parts of Ibiza - it's upmarket enough to keep out the clubbers, but informal and lively enough to make everyone feel comfortable and have fun. Also, the walk into the resort from the hotel is one of the most beautiful parts of the holiday, particularly when you're walking in at sunset. A couple of good places to eat/drink are Little Italy, which does great pizza and is on the way from the hotel into town (outside tables are best if you can get one), Trio, which is set back from the promenade, but has lovely food and is very reasonably priced, and Bony, a really great bar set in a little square not far behind the promenade. I also highly recommend a day trip by boat to the area of Formentor, which is an exquisitely beautiful beach area, entirely untouched by the large developments of the rest of Mallorca. There's a shop and a nice bar with outside tables as well, and a very expensive hotel you can wander through if you walk far enough up the island. Also, the view you get of the mountains from the boat is spectacular and worth the small amount of money it costs just for that alone.

Although the hotel entertainment was really good one or two nights, especially when they performed Lord of the Dance, I didn't particularly enjoy it the rest of the time. Luckily, the town itself has a great buzz about it, so we spent most of our nights there, and because the area is so safe, there's no problem walking back after dark. Unfortunately, the entertainment ran until about 12-12:30am, most nights, and it was very loud. Much like the kid's entertainment during the day, the speakers carried the sound over the entire pool and bar area. Whilst at the start of the trip, we had been disappointed to see that our room looked out over a small patch of grass and a hedge (and was in shade all day), we became very grateful for this when we realised that this was one of the only areas of the entire complex where you couldn't hear any noise! We ended up really enjoying some quiet evenings on the porch, and after my mum had gone to bed, I often sat there and read a book with a glass of wine, undisturbed by the commotion and noise of the bar.

I know it sounds like I'm complaining a lot, but I did actually love the hotel and thought it was great value for money. I know we weren't the target audience, since we weren't travelling with small children, and that obviously affected our enjoyment, but even with that in mind, the place is beautiful and well worth a visit. I would definitely recommend it to families (who aren't all adults), but probably not to couples or adult-only groups.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the pool have no view and are in shade, but they're the only place you ca...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Ais11
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We went on a familymoon in September last year for 7 nights. We loved it so much we have booked to go again this September for 10 nights!
Without trying to repeat what everyone else says..the resort is lovely, the beach is excellent for young children, with shallow water and sunbeds & parasols, if you want to pay for them!
As everyone says the staff are friendly, we found the reps & kids entertainers to be good, especially, Marcus (or marcusaurus!). The apartments are slightly on the small size and you wont be cooking a 3 course meal in the kitchen (but who wants too when theyre on holiday!) The pool area could do with being bigger as you do feel a bit on top of each other, but it's OK.And the same story of more parasols please or people please dont save the parasols if your not using them ( this does frustrate me!)
The food is of a good standard but I would ask the restaurant manager to not put lots of sweets on the kiddies buffet! Please only put a few out or put them on the way out. Its difficult enough getting kids to eat on holiday as it is. My little boy is normally a good eater but the sweets were too accessible for him to just go and grab them for himself!
Cant wait to go again.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room on a high floor & that's what we got - excellent
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family