“Fantastic aparthotel for children”

Aparthotel Playa Mar & Spa
Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Port de Pollenca
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We travelled here for 5 nights. A short break for the family we booked the apartment on Thomsons website and got a fab deal, we had two apartments on the 2nd floor one with pool view the other with mountain view both were very nice we were a party of 4 adults and two children 4 and 7 they had a great time with the Splash area which were water slides just a little concerned as at leat 3 children did slip on top of this area which was like fibreglass and was in the style of a cow and toucans and the other one was a huge crab which the children loved I pointed this problem out to the rep as my grandson slipped and grazed his chin and chest hopefully they will put some sort of foam in this area. The children's clubs were fab they could go there for at leat 2hrs a day which was a nice break for my daughter and they couldn't wait for it to open. I agree the kitchen area very small. Breakfast was great and you could pay for this daily 6 euros but we tried the evening meal found it very disappointing 12 euros. For shopping we went in to town to the Eroski supermarket very reasonable( ask in town it's near the roundabout near the beach. Best to get bread, milk and water in the shop near apartments. A nice little coffee and sandwich shop about 10 mins walk they also have a little supermarket. The complex is a good walk away from the centre. We used majorcaairporttransfers.com they were fab about 202 euros return (it's about an hour drive) and they were the only company willing to take a motorised disability scooter. This price was for all of us and they were prompt and extremely courteous. Definitely use again. Entertainment at the hotel not too good but we were all tired after a long day, stayed up while the children's club was on. So all in all I would say this hotel is great for families with small children they will have a great time.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank poshlady123
There are newer reviews for Aparthotel Playa Mar & Spa

Reviewed April 27, 2012

We (2 adults and a toddler) went in April, self catering. I am in complete agreement with many things below, but with a little one there were a few things I wish I knew in advance, so I thought I would focus on that for those of you about to go. The kitchen for us was too basic: 2 electric rings, a kettle and toaster and a microwave. That is fine, but there was very little equipment: no sieve, no frying pan, no small saucepans, no child equipment. That is to say, no plastic beakers, plates or other child friendly equipment - wish we had know so that we could take some. (This was also true in their restaurant - we even had to ask for cutlery for her). That said, I would highly recommend the place (including the restaurant - good range of food and very friendly) and we are planning to go back - we will just take her things with us!

With regards to the room - clean (and cleaned 5 of the 7 days we were there); but a little small. There were twin beds in the bedroom, and a sofa which had a mattress on a frame underneath it - so another two single beds. As our daughter went to bed a few hours before us, she was in the bedroom, so we ended up sleeping apart and one of us on the floor. It was fine for the three of us, but I think if there were four of you you may be on top of each other.

I think it does the big things really well - it is a gorgeous place, the spa is fantastic, the outdoor pools are great and the three pools means there is something for everyone. I can't comment on the children's club and entertainment - they were not open when we went. There was, however, a disco each night, which was pretty loud so I would recommend you try and get a room nearer the entrance rather than the entertainment block if noise is an issue for you.

Location - great. Not too busy, fantastic beach, some lovely restaurants. We will be returning.

Port de Pollenca is fantastic for cycling - a real bonus for us. The hotel will sort out bikes for you, and we used this service. The road bikes supplied were great - serviced and well cared for. We also hired some hybrids (and I, being a girl, got delivered a general push around bike!) - these were quite poor. We had to inflate the tyres and the gear set was dodgy. So, when we return we will try and organise the bikes ourselves.

Room Tip: Try to be away from the entertainment block due to the noise
24  Thank HappyGirl003
Reviewed April 27, 2012

We booked a last minute break here for the week before Easter. I have to say I wasn't expecting such a nice friendly hotel. Our 2 children loved the pools and slides and the Spa was absolutely lovely. The accomodation was very clean and we were given 2 apartments next to each other so we had plenty of space. All the staff were very pleasant, especially the reception staff who were exceptionally helpful. I can't recommend this place enough, we will definitely return.

5  Thank JOHUk
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Decent quality hotel, good sized rooms, clean light and bright. Friendly staff. Outstanding feature is the 25metre indoor pool, only minor moan is the walk to the centre of the community.

Room Tip: chose a west facing room for evening sun
5  Thank michelle w
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I booked my holiday with Thomson and stayed at the Aparthotel Playa Mar in Puerto Pollensa, Majorca, with my husband and 8 year old son from 31st March to 14th April 2012, on a half board basis. We were accompanied by my mother and father who occupied the neighbouring apartment.

The accomodation had recently been refurbished, was clean, fresh and adequately furnished, with a large flat screen TV providing all the main UK channels. The kitchen area was very small and although we never used it, other than for making tea, I could imagine it being somewhat a challenge preparing a meal.

We had furnished balconies with a nice view of the nearby mountain range. That is my parents did, as my view was obstructed by a large tree immediately outside.

The whole complex was extremely tidy and well laid out, with large outdoor swimming pools (very cold at this time of year). The splash pool areas were a great hit with my son, as was the play area, where he made many friends.

They also had a new development, which consisted of the entertainment area, complete with bar and friendly bar staff, including welcoming prices ( 4 euros for a bottle of wine). Below ground level was a spa including an indoor swimming pool, jacuzze, steam room, sauna which was free to use except for paying 2 euros for your swimming caps! My reservation about this was that the pool was quite deep, without any shallow end or signs of the actual depth. It could also benefit from having an attendant to keep an eye on the more boisterous swimmers.

Although the hotel is advertised as a Thomsons Family Resort, because it was before the 1st May, there was no Thomson staff or activities available, other than the visiting Thomson Rep. However, the hotel did provide four evenings of entertainment with duo singers, magicians, acrobats and flamenco dancers, which we all enjoyed. We also benefitted from the fact that an entertainments group called Animacion Fun Club were using the hotel as their pre-season training base. They provided us with various games and activities during each and every day, together with two extremely professional musicals in the evening (one each week). They made our holiday and for which we wish to thank them all very much . My son took a particular shine to Kirsty.

The dining room was clean, bright and comfortable, providing a plentiful buffet of good quality food and presentation. We dined extremely well, although I must say that some evenings we found the cooked meat or fish not always to our liking. It tended to be somewhat bland and overcooked. The breakfasts were great.

We found the restaurant staff very friendly and helpful and wish to thank Donna and Jose in particular for looking after us (nothing was too much trouble).

There is a very small convenience shop immediately outside the hotel entrance, which was both useful and cheaper than most shops in town.

The location is perfect with just a three minute walk to the beach and a beautiful scenic view of the bay around Puerto Pollensa. The coastal Pine Walk offers views, sandy coves with many restaurants and cafes on the way to town.

My son said that it was the best holiday ever and I would be more than happy to visit again at this time of the year.

9  Thank Lorraine R
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We recently got home after staying at this hotel for 2 weeks during the Easter Holidays.We had a wonderful time,the staff were so friendly and helpful,the food was great at the hotel with so much choice .The spa is brilliant,its brand new and the pool is great,you can even have a quiet swim and relax after 4pm when its open just for Adults and its free to use!!!There was no official entertainment as that does not start until 1st May but there were guys there who were training for the coming season,they were really friendly and put on competitions for the kids and adults such as Darts,table tennis and other things,they even did a few shows in the 2 weeks we were there and other things in the evening.The start of the pine walk is about a 2 min walk from the hotel with little beaches all along the walk until you reach the centre which is a really nice 20 to 25 min walk.It was such a brilliant holiday and an amazing area of Majorca.

6  Thank Martin W
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Just returned home after a short 3 day break here. As a family, we go abroad at least 3 times a year and have stayed in so many hotels now. This one has to be the most impressive with everything brand spanking new and ultra modern.
Best bits, The spa is amazing,Must have cost millions to build, cant believe it is free to use as so many other hotels charge.My 4 year old Son loved the pool area with the cow. The park was great and the staff tried so hard to get my Son to join in with the mini disco. The food was great with oranges ready for you to juice and real English bacon. Dinner was lovely too. The apartments had a really fresh feel to them. The decor and the bedding were all matching and there is a 32" flat screen tv in the rooms with Englis channels and air con.
Unfortunatley we went out of season so there was no entertainment on apart from the 30 min mini disco and the water on the slide were switched off. It was very quiet.There were only a few people staying there. Would have loved to have seen the hotel in full swing. This would have made the holiday perfect.
Will defo go back but in season so that i can see the place in action.
Thank you to all the staff that made our holiday so great.

9  Thank Joanne M