“Very rude owners”

and 1 more site!
The Phou Iu Guest House and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 4 Muang Sing B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The guesthouse itself is ok. The setting is nice with the garden around and the rooms are fine as well. Its bamboo bungalows with bathroom. The hot showers did not work properly, but apart from that there was no issue with the room.

The issue was more with the owners. There is a young lady working, who is incredibly rude. Unfortunately she was the main person around.
Already when she checked me in, she was very rude, her colleague / mother? has given me the price of the rom as being 50.000Kip, I think she was unhappy with that, as she told me 60.000.

I didn't get a single friendly smile from her. When I asked her to please restart the router, as the WIFI was not working, she just shrugged and left, and I had to look for someone else, who then did this.
For dinner I went into the adjactent restaurant, there was a young boy working, who also spoke English and he was friendly, but the food was not good. Very oily and tasteless fried noodles.

In the morning I went to the resturant again for breakfast, as there is really not a lot of choice around if you fancy a Western breakfast. The lady came to took my order, she returned a few minutes later and said "we dont have baguette", and when I asked for different bread she just said, "no, we are closed" and left, which is rediculous as it was 9am and breakfast is included in most of their rooms.
She never returned to the restaurant.

While the room is ok, the people working in the resort managed to spoil my good mood. No reply to the smiles that I gave, instead this kind of behaviour.
If you just want to have a place to rest and ignore the people around, then I guess this will be fine, but if you look for any kind of "hospitality" or friendliness, better stay away.

Room Tip: Not close to the owners bugalow, as the kid tends to be crying a lot
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MySunnyDays1

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We trekked overnight from Luang Namtha to Muang Sing via Old Falangs trail before arriving at this guest house. When we arrived, we were surprised to see a lovely garden and big, clean rooms (bungalow).

The bed was firm and the sheets were very clean. Bathroom was fine and spacious with hot shower available although pressure was a bit low. Since we were very tired after our long trek, we ate at the restaurant (good & simple food) and slept very well. There was also a low standing fan in the room and we didn't really need the fan as it is cool in November.

The staff at the guest house were friendly and caring. As we were the first tourists on the Old Falangs trail, the lady boss were concerned about what we felt about the trek and ensured our stay there was comfortable. We stayed one night and this was probably the only thing we regret as the town itself can do with at least 1 day to explore and another night to just relax. The nearby daily morning market (abt 20 min walk) has many interesting local ethnic people with colourful traditional clothes and also many local wares incl items from the nearby forests. Best time to visit market is around 7am when it is busy.

This guest house is much more established than the same guest house chain in Luang Namtha (Phou Iu III Bungalows) as its garden is very much more matured and the floor in the rooms are covered with mats. It is really much more than a guesthouse (except no TV but you wouldn't want it anyway) and definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Muang Sing town.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Breeze262
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I got there after a very full day, and I'm no Spring chicken and got exactly what I was looking for. The rooms are spacious and super clean, and comfortable beds. Helpful staff. Only thing I think it needs are TVs. Sitting on the big balcony in the morning and enjoying the well-done garden is the perfect. And though it's cliche, the restaurant in town has that family feel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 1, 2012

The rooms are really spacious, overlooking some lovey gardens, the beds confortable. It took a while to get the hot water but it arrived in the end! The staff is really friendly and go out of their way to make you feel at home. They also have a wonderful dog called Pepsi who will do anything for some tlc! We also ate in the restaurant and the food was excellent.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank A A
Reviewed September 25, 2012

A good place to learn about things to do in the area. The bungalow rooms are very clean and comfortable. The price of 50,000 kip (not sure if this was just a low season price) was very good for what they offer. The only thing missing is wifi. I didn't eat at the restaurant but there are plenty of other places to find food in town if you like local cuisine.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 25, 2012

nice place to sleep for a couple of nights. They have a place where the can storage your lugage when you are tracking in the jungle.
I wouldn't recommend the food here. But the small houses a very wel for the price you pay.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 10, 2012 via mobile

Really nice courtyard with basic rooms. Price was reasonable. I even forgot my iPod and returned the next day and they still had it! Very honest. It was appreciated. Otherwise, be wary of Muang Sing. People tend to recommend it but I find it to be the most boring town in Lao. It's essentially a China-Lao trading town.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank chw_adventurer

Been to The Phou Iu Guest House and Restaurant? Share your experiences!