All reviews home made pastries course meal la pieve fruit every bite delicious food antipasti small town my wife and i guest rooms southern tuscany dining room dining area ricotta cheese would highly recommend this hotel two days
Selected filters
Reviewed November 21, 2018

We spent three days and nights at Locanda La Pieve, a lovingly restored and decorated little hotel in the small town of Semproniano in the Maremma area of Southern Tuscany. La Pieve is owned by a husband and wife team who manage the hotel and also prepare authentic Tuscan dinners each night for their guests, incorporating local seasonal ingredients and wines. There is no menu; however, they are able to accommodate special diets. I am a vegetarian, and my meals were as delicious and creative as my meat-eating husband's. Each of the guest rooms has a name that relates to the decor of the room. We stayed in La Camera del Mago (Magician's Room), a lovely large room with starry walls and ceiling, and an ample bathroom. Angela and Enrico were very helpful to us in offering tips for our day trips in the area. Loved the personal touch, the warm hospitality, and the feeling of staying in their private home. I am looking forward to going back!

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2018

Nuzzled in one of the narrow lanes of the quiet and pretty village of Semproniano in the Grossetta province of Tuscany, Locanda la Pieve is a quaint boutique hotel run by the sweetest couple, Enrico and Angela. Enrico manages the kitchen and is the head chef while Angela wears the many other hats. Just as we arrived, Angela was there to welcome us and we could sense the love and the warmth that goes into the running of this hotel. Somehow, we knew straightaway that this place spelt out H-O-M-E like no other.

Locanda la Pieve is all about an experience reminiscent of your own home. The décor is simple, warm and comfortable. Be it the cozy furnishings at the entrance or the pretty dining area with the morning light streaming in through the thin white curtains, or even the cozy living corner where you can read a book or chat while sipping on a glass of Prosecco which Angela lovingly offers to bring for you, when you loiter around the kitchen, while you wait for the yummy dinner to be served. The rooms, again, are unpretentious, comfortable and leaves nothing to be desired, with the windows opening into the quiet lanes of beautiful Semproniano.

Most important though - Good Lord the food! Enrico weaves magic with his food, I kid you not. Locanda la Pieve uses only fresh, organic and seasonal produce (this is a philosophy that they swear by) and this becomes evident with every bite you take of the food that is served with love that is not experienced very often outside our homes. Both breakfast (complimentary) and dinner (upon request) is provided to the residents. There is no menu to choose from and I felt this was the best part about our meals there. Dinner comprises anything Enrico whips up using the freshest produce purchased from the local farmer; surprise antipasti, first course, second course and dessert, every day, each vying for the top spot in every meal. It has been two days since I last had a meal from their kitchen and believe me, my mouth is flooded at the mere thought of their handmade Pici in garlic and tomato sauce or my birthday dinner there. Yummm. Oh and ask Angela for wine recommendations!

If there is absolutely anything that the food at Locanda la Pieve would take second place to, it’s the kind of people that run this little place. It is their home that they open up to the public and they make you feel so welcome that it’s difficult to say goodbye and return to normalcy. I still remember what Angela said when she came with a steel tray laden with two glasses of Prosecco, some beautiful olives and some munchies. She set the tray down and said with a warm smile “Welcome! But this is the last time we say welcome and you say thank you. Familia, okay?” and she meant every word.

Something tells me that we have left a piece of our souls in Semproniano, and that we have found for ourselves a home in Italy that we will need to keep going back to and friends to keep for a lifetime. Thank you Angela and Enrico for the absolutely lovely experience! Cannot wait to come right back

(Check out my blog post on my blog 'My Digital Verandah' for more details and pictures!)

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank mydigitalverandah
Reviewed August 17, 2018

This is a special place which lives up to all it's reviews. Situated in a quintessential Tuscan hill top town, within it's medieval centre. A very warm welcome awaits from Angela and Enrico.
The rooms are traditionally furnished with a comfortable bed but in the heat this summer not air conditioned. A large ceiling fan helped and we slept well. Small ensuite bathroom with a decent shower. Breakfast was good with a nice spread of home made pastries , cakes, cereals, fruit, a wonderful Ricotta cheese etc.. Served on the terrace or in the dining room. Dinner was traditional, home cooked Italian food. No menu, but everything we had was absolutely delightful. All the fresh ingredients beautifully put together to produce wonderful flavours. Enrico certainly has a passion for food. We stayed four nights and ate there every one of them and nothing was repeated. Every day we returned to tea on the terrace and eagerly awaited dinner.
The area is very beautiful and quiet. Lovely towns and scenery with plenty to see and do. The coast is an hour and half away.
If you want a treat, in a beautiful area, at a reasonable price, then this is the place.
Fino alla prossima volta

Date of stay: August 2018
Reviewed August 3, 2018 via mobile

Perfect location, excellent setting, awesome food. And last but not least a tremendous host/chef Enrico, for sure plus his wife. We really enjoyed the evening with the whole family.
And thanks Enrico for taking care of us and being available as local contact / key holder during our 2-weeks stay in a nearby site!

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2018 via mobile

Delicious food, high quality and really special. My wife and I appreciated not only the food but also the atmosphere and the service. Angela explains ( in English) the taste of what is being served, which herbs have been used and how the food is prepared. Understanding of what is on yoyr plate helps appreciating. But also without this explanation you certainly will love the meal and enjoy the evening.
And then I have not even mentioned the wines, including the prosecco offered as welcome drink.
This all for a very reasonable price. Highly recommended. Make sure to have a reservation. We dropped an email in advance.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank 629henriv