“Some things fixed - others not...”
Review of Perdepera Resort

Perdepera Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Cardedu
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Some things fixed - others not...”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

If you have read the 2011 reviews - things have changed:
- No Italian guests or entertainment.
- No allocated table.
- Better food. (Not great but OK.)
- They warn you it's a 2hr transfer.
- New towels in the rooms everyday.
- More loungers and a NO RESERVING LOUNGERS policy.

Some things have not changed:
- There are still lots of kids!
- Childcare was simply excellent.
- Bog standard rooms. But we literally slept in them - nothing more.
- VERY CLEAN rooms.
- No diet drinks included and only tea and coffee with breakfast. Terrible "juice" drinks.
- Still one usable pool and an unused, unclean kids paddling pool.
- Still have to book dining times ASAP in the morning.
- Still only 2 tennis courts.
- Still MASSIVE queues every night at 630pm in order to book in those activities that could be booked.

As my first MW holiday I was genuinely shocked at the poor waterfront staff and facilities.
- Kit broke - only got fixed during the time I SHOULD BE SAILING. Fix the damn thing overnight.
- 5 lasers (one permanently broken), 7 picos, 4 topazes (cat), and a bunch of windsurfing kit.
- Really not much equipment for 300+ guests particularly when MW insist on running intro to sailing courses or kids club sailing both of which take priority.
- Virtually no formal booking system - just turn up and be disappointed - then wait 2 hours for a broken vessel to return...

I am a highly qualified sailor so maybe I set my standards too high but the attitude of the staff was lax to say the least. With a half decent toolkit and a couple of hours I could have fixed most of the problems single-handed.

The guy lending out the mountain bikes was a legend though. He spent 45 mins fixing all 20 of them every morning and went out of his way to lend the bikes outside of "official" times. Thanks!

The food was OK but then I am pretty happy with school dinners. A la carte was a good effort - and there was certainly plenty of choice.
BUT - spoons. Specifically tea spoons. These are vital implements for children. It is owing to their small mouths you see. My kids use them for pretty much every dish. So they need LOTS.
For some meals there were literally NONE. This meant more yoghurt on their faces than in their tummies. A shame. Although it did mean I could eat the ice cream portion all in one go, which was nice.

Also - the coffee/tea machine. I learned to hate it. Day 1 there were two of them. Day 2-6 just one and a line of 10 caffeine-starved twitching middle-class muppets (me) trying to use it.
Trying to make tea? Well let's make you press the button twice and then pour scalding hot water all over your hand. Any other button = coffee. Tiny, tiny amounts of coffee.
Have you heard of a Venti??? It's Italian for "give me a pint of hot brown stuff somewhat related to the coffee bean".
I longed for the enormous tea pots full of builder's finest that I had a school.
The upside is that I am saving £5 a day back at work having weaned myself off the dark stuff.

Other:
- BA flights from LHR T5 = good. Delayed but the Captain invited the kids into the cockpit. "Have you ever seen a grown man naked?" was NOT asked.
- We didn't bother booking tennis. 2 courts for 300 people. Mostly booked by private lessons.
- Beds were ROCK hard. I like a nice stiff mattress as much as the next man but this was just too much.
- Outside space was comedy. A tiny terrace then jungle. No view.
- No mobile coverage unless you walk to the tennis courts, climb a tree and then hop on one leg. Quite refreshing to be honest.

Room Tip: Demand to be close to the hotel. We were back and forth for forgotten kids stuff all the time. A lo...
13 Thank Nick W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We spent one week at this resort from 11th August. It is a small, compact resort. Our room was in a good location, close to the restaurant / pool etc. We had a relaxing and enjoyable week. The children enjoyed the activities and made friends easily. The childcare staff were very good and both children 11 and 9 enjoyed all that was on offer.
The British Airways flight worked well with good flight times and no delays. The transfer was 2 hrs and could have been made a little easier if some water had been provided. The whole check-in process was very easy as most of it was done on the coach. The family room was very basic although it had air conditioning. Two beds downstairs and a double bed on the mezzanine level with a steep, sloping ceiling. The bathroom was small and simple but the shower was fine. The outside patio area was very dark and not a usable space. The food was fine, nothing special. There was never any shortage of food and the children enjoyed choosing different flavours of icecream. There was always enough wine, sparkling water and soft drinks. The staff were always very pleasant. A little annoying was the fact that you were expected to sign up for dinner at breakfast time. Most mornings by 8am the early 7.30pm slots had already been taken. The beach was lovely and the sea was beautifully warm. There was always enough equipment on the beach and we never really had to wait for anything. There were lots of sunbeds on the beach - not enough round the pool. There was the usual sunbed reserving going on around the pool. The towels were down by breakfast time and despite the signs asking people not to do this, no staff took any action. Insect repellent is a necessity. The return transfer was well organised but we were at Cagliari airport very early which resulted in long queues at check in before the desks had even opened. We have had several Mark Warner holidays in the past and this resort was perfect for a relaxing, quiet week but don't expect luxury. We loved the beach!

Room Tip: Room 214 is close to everything but is quite dark.
4 Thank highfield65
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Well done Mark Warner. Just returned from a superb week in Perdepera. Pleasantly surprised having read some negative comments. The Heathrow flights with BA were a pleasure having done several Thomas Cook holidays. Legroom was great, check in no queues and smooth flights. Lovely resort welcome from the team on arrival. Rooms dated but very clean. Very pretty resort, excellent pool and watersports. Superb hard working team that never failed to deliver. Food was varied a hot with A La Carte every other night which was a pleasant alternative to buffet food. Excellent experience all round and would recomment to all.

4 Thank mary b
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Our family of 5; 2 adults & kids age 11, 7 & 4 had a great two week holiday with Mark Warner in Sardinia in July. The foo,d was good the staff always helpful and the childcare was fantastic. Before we booked I grilled the lady I dealt with over the phone about the level of comfort in the rooms. She was very honest and clear about what was and wasn’t available. The accommodation was basic but comfortable and spotless. I have to say that I was really surprised by some of the reviews I have read; it is never promoted as a 5 star luxury spa type resort but then doesn’t charge those prices. If that what you want go to Abercrombie & Kent or Powder Byrne

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Mrs Tumble M
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Having read some of the reviews I was not sure what to expect as this was our first Mark Warner holiday. I travelled with my 11 year old son. I thought it was a lot better than some of the reviews would indicate. I would not recommend it to those without children though as the childcare seemed to me their principal selling point.

I don't understand people moaning about the transfer time, the resort is where it is and the airport is where it is - How can Mark Warner do anything about that? The coach was organised efficiently and we set off promptly. As for being shown our rooms in the dark - the upside was that we had left London at a rather civilised time in the afternoon rather than at the crack of dawn. In my view the pathways were lit perfectly adequately.

The room was relatively basic, we did have to ask for extra pillows and as others have commented the beds are rock hard. The bathroom was adequate and the water varied from hot to luke warm depending on time of showering. However the air con worked very efficiently.
OK it was not especially grand but we did not spend much time in it- I would have liked the patio to be a bit more private as I felt that I was totally eavesdropping on my neighbours conversations as I sat there in the early evening.

The main upside was that my son absolutely loved it, he made lots of friends at the kids club and I hardly saw him - he took a windsurfing course which was quite well run although they did seem a bit short of small sails at times.

This left me to do my own thing - the good news is that no one bothered me - I did not have to endure any forced communal dining which I experienced at Club Med, I am not totally anti social but like to choose my dining companions myself not be forced back to boarding school.

I avoided the pool as it was busy, crowded and full of small screaming children. There were no sun loungers anyway as the curse of the towel had struck - there must be those who rose at six in the morning despite pleas not to do that. Most parents were reasonably considerate about their children but there are always a few who behave as though it is nothing to do with them that their children are wailing like banshees whilst everyone else is trying to eat their lunch.

I thought the dining facilities were relatively poor - there were not enough tables outside and the room inside was hot and smelly with gloomy lighting. They could do with reconfiguring the whole thing and sorting out some air conditioning. The food was ok but after a week I was a bit bored with the lunch time options but there was certainly plenty to eat.

The beach was lovely - lots of sun loungers, fairly quiet as the small kids seem to live by the pool and the staff very helpful and friendly. As for the reviewer who complained that they could not spend time at the beach as it had no bar or loo - These facilities are two minutes walk away.

Overall - My son had a simply wonderful time so I heartily recommend it for parents who have sociable children who they do not want to see for a week!! Downside - usual stuff if you were expecting posh hotel comfort. Did not like being turfed out of our room at 10 when leaving at 4 on coach. Lost several pairs of flip flops and shorts which disappointingly did not return to lost property.

Mark Warner staff did try hard not to treat us as cattle but there is the inevitable sensation of being herded about. I did not especially like queueing up for dinner even though I left it later and later hoping that they would sort the tables out. The staff I encountered were without exception very polite.

Room Tip: Nearest to centre of facilities - perhaps worth asking
6 Thank anonymouslondon0
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I was shocked to read the poor reviews of Perdepera. This my first MW holiday but I thought it compared well to Club Med and other package deals we have had. The MW staff were unfailingly polite, helpful and enthusiastic despite the incredible heat we experienced. The children (11 and 15) had an absolute ball and are already asking to go again. The room was large with excellent air conditioning, it was very clean and had a good shower. As for the reviewer who complained about the size of the TV - honestly, why would you watch Tv with so much else to do?
The food was plentiful and delicious, loads of fresh fruit, delicious grilled fish, salads and plenty of less healthy options too.
The beach is beautiful and the sea is incredibly clear and warm. There were always plenty of sun loungers on the beach although those around the pool were in shorter supply.
My only two issues are that a 10 am checkout is too early when the coach does not come until after 4 pm. We paid 50 euros to keep the room until 4 pm, which I thought was a bit steep. Also the coach that collected us for the 2 hour transfer in 38 degree heat did not have functioning air conditioning which was a very unpleasant way to end what was otherwise a perfect week away.

Room Tip: We had rooms 208 and 210. The terrace of 210 is too shady to dry clothes, 208 was fine. Air con in b...
5 Thank Caroline C
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Our first MW experience so we signed up for lots!Its a two hour transfer by coach.. so the only thing I would consider is arriving an hour or two earlier and leaving an hour or two earlier..The staff are exemplary ensuring we were able to try all the activities we wanted to .. plenty to do and not do.. the hotel is on one ground floor level and the rooms, although basic inside have lovely garden terraces outside. Food? I thought is was great- its not completely a la carte but its all fresh fish/ salads I really enjoyed it. I had shark/ Red mullet/ Sardines/ lamb/ there was fresh pasta loads of varieties of salad..you eat outside so insect repellant is a must- I heeded this took plenty and we only got one bite all week! I didnt think it was outrageous to pay extra for drinks and our bar bill at the end of the week was perfectly reasonable . We stuck to the free wine as we bought a bottle one night and didnt notice a huge difference ( we preferred rose!). The Nannies are BEYOND brilliant! all the children adored them. plus our four year old got to Kayak / sail and surf which I dont think he would of enjoyed with us as much as he did with his little friends ( parents are welcome to to along for photo ops etc) The early evening dvd for the little ones allowing parents to enjoy dinner/ drink really helped as did earlier kids tea. They seemed a little short staffed on waterfront.. this did not stop them consistently going the extra mile and endeavouring to ensure all the guests requirements were met.. I just thought the worked really hard. The mountain biking and sports events are well run and worth trying out. met lots of lovely people and bonded over a sailing lesson/ mountain bike ride! Beach is stunning and the pool is lovely but a bit too much chlorine ( lots of swimwear was turning green inspite of hand washing towards end of week) I think they may be short of sunbeds when its full but we had a lovely week there! you can have day and half day excursions and be as busy or as laid back as you want. Its a chilled out small resort in beautiful surroundings! enjoy

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Jayne118
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cardedu
Galanias Hotel & Retreat Domos Galanas
Family Life Baia di Conte
#1 of 1 in Porto Conte
Hotel Capo D'Orso Thalasso & Spa
Club Hotel Marina Beach

Been to Perdepera Resort? Share your experiences!